Turning the page to NCAA WBB | The Boneyard

Turning the page to NCAA WBB

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Games are still 3 weeks away but the upcoming season will feel more real tomorrow.

Big East WBB media day will be tomorrow afternoon from MSG.

Per Doug Feinberg, the AP Preseason poll will be dropped tomorrow at noon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's clear that UConn will be the pre-season favorite, most likely unanimously. What are you folks expecting for the top 4-5 teams, pre-season All-Conference team, etc.? I think at least Paige and Christyn get recognition. Geno doesn't think pre-season FOY makes sense, and I agree, but I like Azzi. I really, really like Azzi.

Reaction Score
I think it's clear that UConn will be the pre-season favorite, most likely unanimously. What are you folks expecting for the top 4-5 teams, pre-season All-Conference team, etc.? I think at least Paige and Christyn get recognition. Geno doesn't think pre-season FOY makes sense, and I agree, but I like Azzi. I really, really like Azzi.
Unanimously?! Cannot imagine that.
  • Stanford returns almost everyone from a very deep team.
  • If SC can hit a put-back, they probably win the NC. And they add about as much as UConn does.
If there's no disagreement on who is #1, then NO ONE should ever argue that UConn doesnt get enough respect.

fwiw, I'd have 1 SC / Stan / UConn / Md / NCSt

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm old school in that if the previous season's champs return the same basic players and has an impact freshman or 2, the Number 1 position is their's to lose.
But I agree with most everyone else, either UConn, SoCar or Stanford have a legitimate claim to the Preseason Number 1 position.
And if 2021-22 plays out for NC State like last season, SoCar's claim will be short lived. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hi gang! My questions were imprecise. Sorry! They were in the context of Big East Media Day, so I was asking about Conference awards, rankings, etc. We've already seen some pre-season national rankings.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

2nd Team​

Ashley Owusu, junior guard, Maryland
Ashley Joens, senior wing, Iowa State
Haley Jones, junior guard, Stanford
Naz Hillmon, senior forward, Michigan
Elissa Cunane, senior center, NC State

Honorable mentions: Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana; Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina; Te-Hina Paopao, Oregon; Queen Egbo, Baylor; Taylor Jones, Oregon State; Emily Engstler, Louisville; Diamond Johnson, NC State.

Freshman of the Year

Azzi Fudd, guard, UConn

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
  • If SC can hit a put-back, they probably win the NC. And they add about as much as UConn does.
If there's no disagreement on who is #1, then NO ONE should ever argue that UConn doesnt get enough respect.

See my follow-up post. I meant Big East only.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

2nd Team​

Ashley Owusu, junior guard, Maryland
Ashley Joens, senior wing, Iowa State
Haley Jones, junior guard, Stanford
Naz Hillmon, senior forward, Michigan
Elissa Cunane, senior center, NC State

Honorable mentions: Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana; Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina; Te-Hina Paopao, Oregon; Queen Egbo, Baylor; Taylor Jones, Oregon State; Emily Engstler, Louisville; Diamond Johnson, NC State.

Freshman of the Year

Azzi Fudd, guard, UConn

Some transfers on the Honorable Mention list, including 2 who left Cuse.

If I'm Christyn Williams, I'm pi$$ed at being omitted.

Reaction Score

No Stanford in the Athletic’s women’s college basketball first-team All-Americans. And SI has Stanford as #3, behind UConn and SC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with you, but I saw a poll last week
There is only one true USC and that is in California and they won't be in the top five.:)

We’ve talked about the “USC” designation before. We know and understand that in the Carolinas, University of South Carolina is often referred to as USC. And that’s OK. But nationally, USC is recognized by Google, the news media and 98% of college administrators, coaches and athletes as the one in Southern California.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No Stanford in the Athletic’s women’s college basketball first-team All-Americans. And SI has Stanford as #3, behind UConn and SC.
The way they are picking seems to be connected to how strong the surrounding team is. The stronger the team, the less individual stats (especially scoring) will result.

That was why they have Paige as #4 and NaLyssa Smith #1 :rolleyes:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Boston and Cardoso are formidable but it will be interesting to see how they work together. It seems like they play the same position. Can they prosper together?

We have a similar issue with Olivia and Dorka but Olivia is a good passer and seems to be a good option at the high post. Dorka is, hopefully, a banger down low. Can they complement each other? What will Aaliyah add to the mix?

These are not idle "angels on the head of a pin" questions. I think that the team with the better answers cuts the nets down in Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
I am expecting Aaliyah Edwards will have a break through year and a surprising performance from Caroline Ducharme.

Reaction Score
Boston and Cardoso are formidable but it will be interesting to see how they work together. It seems like they play the same position. Can they prosper together?
Could also play Boston 30 and Cardoso 15. Both can be super aggressive (not worry about fouls) and only overlap for 5.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Stanford get the top ranking. Let Tara answer all the questions. Not sure of their schedule but they could stay undefeated until they make that trip east to play Tenn and SCar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom