Tulsa's massive deficit (LINK) | The Boneyard

Tulsa's massive deficit (LINK)

Reaction Score
TU's last president left a $25 million deficit but its new president has a plan

When you're slashing pay in this fashion, be prepared. This school is going to start swirling the toilet. Just one of the many that are not prepared at all for a horrid future.

I am convinced that college football will look wildly different in 10 years as schools start dropping like flies.

Higher Ed. administrators will tell you flat out that many of the privates will close shop. I am not talking about football.

Reaction Score
Tulsa will be fine. It's the schools below the Ohio Wesleyans that are in big trouble.

Sacred Heart is still expanding.

Reaction Score
Tulsa will be fine. It's the schools below the Ohio Wesleyans that are in big trouble.

Sacred Heart is still expanding.

I wouldn't be sure. People will be fleeing Tulsa for Community Colleges (students and faculty). Talking to administrators about this, they paint a picture of the apocalypse.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be sure. People will be fleeing Tulsa for Community Colleges (students and faculty). Talking to administrators about this, they paint a picture of the apocalypse.
If the world wants, the U.S. easily has a future as a global destination for education. I think that's what'll happen.

Reaction Score
If the world wants, the U.S. easily has a future as a global destination for education. I think that's what'll happen.

It all depends on how foolish the world is. We are devolving higher education in this country. I certainly wouldn't pay $50k for all but a handful of schools. But, some of these foreign kids are there for the party, and not the education. I imagine it is the government funded students we should be worried about. China, by the way, is plowing a ton of money into university research; it's similar to the Cold War research boom and GI Bill here in the USA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You pretty much have to be insane to plow 50-60k a year into most of these schools.

There is no ROI on the marginal cost above even a decent directional state school.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how foolish the world is. We are devolving higher education in this country. I certainly wouldn't pay $50k for all but a handful of schools. But, some of these foreign kids are there for the party, and not the education. I imagine it is the government funded students we should be worried about. China, by the way, is plowing a ton of money into university research; it's similar to the Cold War research boom and GI Bill here in the USA.
I am pretty sure extreme foolishness is already self-evident.

US dollar's place will also change.

Reaction Score
I recently saw a plan by Cuomo to make state university free in New York for children with parents earning under $125k. What struck me as eye-opening about this is that the cost would only be $160m.

Personally I am all for this, though I'd recommend free for all students including millionaires. I want to see the class dynamic eliminated in the classroom. It is too prevalent now.

Regardless, when you think of what we spend money on, and how this would impact people's lives, $1xxm is not a super great deal of money.

Reaction Score
I recently saw a plan by Cuomo to make state university free in New York for children with parents earning under $125k. What struck me as eye-opening about this is that the cost would only be $160m.

Personally I am all for this, though I'd recommend free for all students including millionaires. I want to see the class dynamic eliminated in the classroom. It is too prevalent now.

Regardless, when you think of what we spend money on, and how this would impact people's lives, $1xxm is not a super great deal of money.
Debt is almost 20 trillion now? Things are going to change, I know that much. Immensely, too. Even if students want to come here for cultural reasons, that allure is still very strong. It is desirable to the "haves" to get to experience life in an English speaking country. Not sure if you noticed Anglophilia is rampant amongst Eastern (or Eastern born) academia.

The ones who "assimilate" the least are the most impoverished ones. Any ethnicity.

Connecticut is really building itself up for tourism. "Historic downtown Milford" exit sign on I-95?! Many Asian cities are very, very different than the ones here (and European cities), due to age.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They may make tuition free, but that is like 30% of the total cost unless you can commute

They should do like some companies have done where if you stay in the state 1 get 1 free year for each full year as a resident or such. If you don't graduate you owe 100% of the tuition immediately too

Honestly, these are incredibly stupid plans in general, we have too many kids going to college, not too few. Many should be in apprenticeships or other trades.

If you are a kid whose parents can't afford it but you have good grades there are tons of scholarships and loans. And if you take a loan and then graduate and get a better job than the repayment of that was the investment you made in yourself. That is a decision you can make.

SUNY at Albany - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I can tell you that in the Boston area, it's all about getting the downstream work visa/green card. BU and NU have large contingents of students from wealthy Chinese and Korean families. My high school in CT took the approach of recruiting students from Asia to save it from budgetary collapse.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that in the Boston area, it's all about getting the downstream work visa/green card. BU and NU have large contingents of students from wealthy Chinese and Korean families. My high school in CT took the approach of recruiting students from Asia to save it from budgetary collapse.

BU has always been like this. These are the rich kids. It used to be Middle East, South America, some Europe. But state schools now have kids largely funded by their gov'ts. I have to say, the idea that American students are the only ones who put partying ahead of education is not on the money. I am not going to stereotype here, but inevitably, students from a few countries in my classes end up being not very serious. You come to America to party.

Reaction Score
They may make tuition free, but that is like 30% of the total cost unless you can commute

They should do like some companies have done where if you stay in the state 1 get 1 free year for each full year as a resident or such. If you don't graduate you owe 100% of the tuition immediately too

Honestly, these are incredibly stupid plans in general, we have too many kids going to college, not too few. Many should be in apprenticeships or other trades.

If you are a kid whose parents can't afford it but you have good grades there are tons of scholarships and loans. And if you take a loan and then graduate and get a better job than the repayment of that was the investment you made in yourself. That is a decision you can make.

SUNY at Albany - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

30% of the populace has college degrees. 34% of those 25-29, so we're really not increasing the numbers. I don't think too many kids are going to college. In fact, the evidence shows a lot more want to go but don't because of the barriers. There are a ton of 1300 SAT 4.0 kids especially from lower middle class and poor families that opt to work and take classes at community colleges on an ad hoc basis. This isn't optimal.

Reaction Score

Also, if you didn't go to college, you need to eat, you need a place to live, so I don't count that as total cost.

Reaction Score
BU has always been like this. These are the rich kids. It used to be Middle East, South America, some Europe. But state schools now have kids largely funded by their gov'ts. I have to say, the idea that American students are the only ones who put partying ahead of education is not on the money. I am not going to stereotype here, but inevitably, students from a few countries in my classes end up being not very serious. You come to America to party.
Why else do 99.9% of immigrants come here? They come here to live a higher living standard. A lot of the construction here is new. There's not much over 200 years old.

Reaction Score
Why else do 99.9% of immigrants come here? They come here to live a higher living standard. A lot of the construction here is new. There's not much over 200 years old.

Well, these are people with money already.

Reaction Score
And he's talking about tourism in Milford.

I hope it never ends.
I never imagined this day would come where I'd be saying that. Bridgeport can reach Providence's level, at least. Definitely would have a hard time passing Newport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never imagined this day would come where I'd be saying that. Bridgeport can reach Providence's level, at least. Definitely would have a hard time passing Newport.

Yes, I think Bridgeport is going to be challenged to pass Newport. Unless they bring back jai alai. Then all bets are off. Get it?!?!

Reaction Score
Yes, I think Bridgeport is going to be challenged to pass Newport. Unless they bring back jai alai. Then all bets are off. Get it?!?!
On second thought, it does have Newport potential, given location, but do we really need degenerates again?!?

Speaking of foreign students keeping a university alive, hello the University of Bridgeport. Their chiropractic unit is top notch.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
There's a REALLY nice Dunkin Donuts in Milford.
I grew up there, moved away in 1977. Is Jai alai still open? Secondi Bros?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom