Tufts is Tough (Carla Berube is head coach) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tufts is Tough (Carla Berube is head coach)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If LeBron James were playing G league ball and tore it up for 3 years, then said he was comfortable playing in Canton would you say he's thriving or languishing?
Who's Lebron James? I thought we were talking about Berube.

Reaction Score
IMO, she's forgotten more than many D1 coaches will ever know. I believe there's only about a dozen so called big time programs in the country.
On what basis can you make such a claim?

That she’s from UConn?
So are Jamelle Tonya Rizz

That she’s been somewhat successful at her job?
She’s not nearly as successful as Nancy Fahey or Barbara Stevens.

Nor even GP Gromacki who surely has has offers but has chosen to stay D3.

Reaction Score
I think it's kind of unlikely that they would offer her the UConn head coaching job without any DI coaching experience.....if that is her eventual goal then she needs to show some success as a DI coach or at least become an assistant at a big time program..

I just wanted to take the opportunity to note that I agree with a post by Charliebball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
she’s been somewhat successful at her job?
While I don’t think Berube will be UConn’s next head coach, it’s worth pointing out:

- 365-93 w/l
- Under 16 & Under 17 National Team HC
- 2015 DIII Coach of the year

Yep, and Lou is a “somewhat successful” shooter....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll spin this around to you, replace Lebron James with UConn and the AAC conference...would you say UConn is thriving or languishing?
If he stayed at UConn past his graduation date, yeah. Otherwise he'd be doing as required, no? Otherwise most if not all would say he's lacking in ambition.

Reaction Score
I just wanted to take the opportunity to note that I agree with a post by Charliebball.

I'm sorry you had to stoop to my level for a change...........it's good for the soul!!!!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Silly comparison.

For one, D1 coaching is a completely different animal. A lot more recruiting, a lot more travel, a lot more pressure. Who says she has to want that?

Was Nancy Fahey languishing at Wash U where she won 700+ games and multiple NCs? Her transition to D1 has been bumpy?

Is Barbra Stevens languishing at Bentley? She’s won 1000 games. She tried coaching D1. Didn’t work out.

Berube is in a great situation. It’s not obvious she should want to leave.
Because your examples have had less than stellar success at the D1 level hardly means they're failures. Yet both of these ladies are examples because they left D2 and 3. So what are you saying, Berube should use their past as her prologue and an excuse to forever remain at Tufts? That indeed her water has found its level?

Reaction Score
Because your examples have had less than stellar success at the D1 level hardly means they're failures. Yet both of these ladies are examples because they left D2 and 3. So what are you saying, Berube should use their past as her prologue and an excuse to forever remain at Tufts? That indeed her water has found its level?

YOU are the one who said she was languishing where she is.

Reaction Score
If he stayed at UConn past his graduation date, yeah. Otherwise he'd be doing as required, no? Otherwise most if not all would say he's lacking in ambition.

Poor Geno. Who knew he has been lacking in ambition all these years, since he has never gone big time and coached more prestigious MCBB or NBA.

JordyG

Reaction Score
YOU are the one who said she was languishing where she is.
And my response made it clear that she is. Your two examples felt they were as well or they never would have left D2 and moved on. I also don't think Berube has met her water level, and she will move on, sooner rather than later.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Poor Geno. Who knew he has been lacking in ambition all these years, since he has never gone big time and coached more prestigious MCBB or NBA.
Geno has said many times he had considered moving on after his success in '95 but no one called. Now, why bother? There's little to prove if he moved onto the Association and he's reach the age where he's considering retirement, not achievement.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I watch my fellow BYers stick to some pedantic arguments, let’s reset for the sake of the thread:
1. Carla Berube is one of the top 3 Division 3 Coaches
2. She has built Tufts into a national power and loves coaching at the school
3. She has been recognized as a top coach by USA Basketball and has awarded her coaching opportunities
4. Many other “as successful” coaches in D2 and D3 have made the move to D1 without the preeminent success needed to be a coach at a program like UConn. Have coaches who moved up been successful in D1, yes but NONE at the level of a top 10, 20 or 30 program in the county would require.
5. Stating absolutes like “she’s forgotten more..” is so utterly silly as no one knows the depth or lack of depth other coaches know or what Carla did know at one point. It’s a point that is stated when virtually the whole board would agree with and in this instance, no way the whole board agrees.
6. The real issue at D1 is recruiting. Just see some great coaches who lack recruits to win it all- Bruno, Rueck, Schaefer et al have not won one title, let alone multiple that the expectations UConn will want. Yes, I know Vic and Scott MAY win one some day...

Reaction Score
I think it's kind of unlikely that they would offer her the UConn head coaching job without any DI coaching experience.....if that is her eventual goal then she needs to show some success as a DI coach or at least become an assistant at a big time program..
I don't believe I said they would hire her for UConn. I simply said that in my opinion she's as qualified as any other coach. There's plenty of experienced D1 coaches who haven't done squat. With no scholarships to give she recruits better than 99% of the coaches in the same boat. With scholarships, I believe she'd recruit just fine. BTW, Staley had no coaching experience at all when she started at Temple.

Reaction Score
On what basis can you make such a claim?

That she’s from UConn?
So are Jamelle Tonya Rizz

That she’s been somewhat successful at her job?
She’s not nearly as successful as Nancy Fahey or Barbara Stevens.

Nor even GP Gromacki who surely has has offers but has chosen to stay D3.
Since I stated that it's my opinion, I believe I can claim whatever I choose. You think I need to justify anything to you? BTW, did I say anything about UConn in that post? It was my opinion of Berube.

Reaction Score
I don't believe I said they would hire her for UConn. I simply said that in my opinion she's as qualified as any other coach. There's plenty of experienced D1 coaches who haven't done squat. With no scholarships to give she recruits better than 99% of the coaches in the same boat. With scholarships, I believe she'd recruit just fine. BTW, Staley had no coaching experience at all when she started at Temple.

She could definitely get a good DI coaching position perhaps just not at the highest level..................I don't think Temple was considered a top tier team when Dawn took that job................I'm pretty sure Carla would have no problems getting an HC at a better ranked WBB team then Temple................it will be very interesting when the time does come to see who takes the reigns at UConn.............

Reaction Score
4. Many other “as successful” coaches in D2 and D3 have made the move to D1 without the preeminent success needed to be a coach at a program like UConn. Have coaches who moved up been successful in D1, yes but NONE at the level of a top 10, 20 or 30 program in the county would require.

What about Rueck at OSU-west? He's done well with lower ranked recruits and is now getting some higher ranked ones. Would not be surprised to see a NATTY within the next five years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

What about Rueck at OSU-west? He's done well with lower ranked recruits and is now getting some higher ranked ones. Would not be surprised to see a NATTY within the next five years.
You’re proving my point. Scott was a highly successful coach at D3 but his next job was taking over a disaster at Oregon State. He didn’t get hired by Tenn, Duke, or LSU who were all prominent programs that needed coaches and hired former D1 experienced coaches with D1 recruiting experience.
Scott has done very well at OSU but this is his 9th year and he still hasn’t signed a top 5/10/15 recruiting class yet. His highest recruit is a transfer in (Slocum).
His talent needs to improve to compete with UConn, MSU, ND on a National level.
I don’t see a NC for him until he does get a few top 10 recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom