Tuesday presser: Openings at WR (John Silver) | The Boneyard

Tuesday presser: Openings at WR (John Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/tuesday-presser-openings-at-wr/

>>He (TJW) cut his teeth as a wide receiver, has been a wide receiver coach for 25 years and even as offensive coordinator was still the position coach. He may have scaled back some of those duties when he was promoted to interim head coach, but the wide receivers are very much his baby on the Huskies.<<

>>Phillips (hamstring) will try and play this week at Cincinnati. If he can’t go, the only thing that Weist is certain of is that Geremy Davis will start at one wideout. The other wideout and the slot position? Up for grabs this week. “I am tied on with receivers. I coach these guys,” Weist said. “I am going to create more competition.“I got to find a combination of all three. We are going to look at all of our freshmen, three true freshmen at wide receiver and open up the competition.”<<

Reaction Score
Needs to happen. It's just necessary. I hate to blame any of the kids...but the WR's (and Parker) really blew it last week.

Reaction Score
I don't want to blame it on Parker. Drops happen and you have to overcome it. But, if he pulls that TD pass in the whole complexion of that game changes imo. Boyle's composure Sat. was excellent.

Reaction Score
Dhameer Bradley is an absolute star in waiting. He runs crisp routes and has great hands. Watch him break out from the pack.

TJW on DB: "To me he's very consistent. He's also one of my smartest players. I'm always questioning my players, always questioning the wide receivers about what their assignments are and he's very smart from that standpoint. It gives them a chance to go out there and know what to do. He's been the one freshman that at more than one position - I've played him at almost every position. In the game on Saturday he played both X and Z and he started out the season as a backup slot receiver. He's got the ability to move into any position and it's very rare that you find a freshman wide receiver that can do that.

Reaction Score
I like TJ as well and it pains me that we may lose him at the end of the season if these players don't get it together. Aside from the clock mismanagement at the end of the game, the issues I saw were mainly with Foxx. Not saying he single handedly lost the game for UCONN, but he certainly didnt put us in a position to win.

Reaction Score
More TJW on WR:

On receivers adjusting to Tim Boyle: "There is a timing period with them. It comes down to the rhythm of a quarterback and how fast he gets a ball to you within your routes. Some quarterbacks may hesitate just a little bit before they get the ball to you, sometimes the ball's right there when you come out, sometimes he reads your body language better and knows you better and knows when you're going to come out to break and accelerate out of cuts, so he puts the balls in certain areas. Those guys have to build that rhythm together and do it at game speed. That's where, right now, we're missing that with Tim because we haven't had a lot of game speed at practice lately. I think this is the first time he's played at that speed under these conditions with all the different looks that we saw. There is some adjustment, I think the receivers are learning that. What I told the receivers is they have to trust their techniques, they have to stay with the fundamentals and then adjust from there. I tell them they have to adjust back to the ball, not forward, which means like Deshon, when he came out of his last move, he should have run out of the cut assuming that that ball was going to be thrown deep, and if it was thrown short he could come back and get it. But if he doesn't run out of the cut and assumes the ball's coming short and it's thrown deep, he'll never get to it. And that's part of what happened. So they have to stick to their fundamentals of the breaking point, separation, running out of cuts, and then adjust to any ball that's thrown after that. That's probably their biggest issue. Same thing with Spencer [Parker] on his catch. He's got to understand that that ball's going to be coming right through him and he's got to adjust to that ball. We always talk about just running out of cuts, follow the track of the route, stick with the fundamentals. We had another receiver ran a hitch route who got a little hesitant, he got a little impatient with the hitch route because he was open, so he started running back to the quarterback. You never run back on a hitch route, so before you know it he's running back to the quarterback and the ball goes high because he shouldn't be going back, he should be staying there. So there are little fundamentals of patience at times. Receivers have to understand there's progression that a quarterback goes through. He looks at one receiver, then another receiver, and then another receiver. Whenever we test our receivers we have them draw up the play and we ask `what is the progression? Are you the first read? Are you the second read? Are you the third read?' So you have to be patient, you have to be open at the right time. That's all part of playing offense and being a good receiver.<<

I just hope he doesn't run out of time to fix it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I like TJ as well and it pains me that we may lose him at the end of the season if these players don't get it together. Aside from the clock mismanagement at the end of the game, the issues I saw were mainly with Foxx. Not saying he single handedly lost the game for UCONN, but he certainly didnt put us in a position to win.

I like him too. But I'm not convinced he is the absolute best we can get.

I want WM to get the absolute best we can get, not a guy who looks great in comparison to PP.

Reaction Score
More TJW on WR:

On receivers adjusting to Tim Boyle: "There is a timing period with them. It comes down to the rhythm of a quarterback and how fast he gets a ball to you within your routes. Some quarterbacks may hesitate just a little bit before they get the ball to you, sometimes the ball's right there when you come out, sometimes he reads your body language better and knows you better and knows when you're going to come out to break and accelerate out of cuts, so he puts the balls in certain areas. Those guys have to build that rhythm together and do it at game speed. That's where, right now, we're missing that with Tim because we haven't had a lot of game speed at practice lately. I think this is the first time he's played at that speed under these conditions with all the different looks that we saw. There is some adjustment, I think the receivers are learning that. What I told the receivers is they have to trust their techniques, they have to stay with the fundamentals and then adjust from there. I tell them they have to adjust back to the ball, not forward, which means like Deshon, when he came out of his last move, he should have run out of the cut assuming that that ball was going to be thrown deep, and if it was thrown short he could come back and get it. But if he doesn't run out of the cut and assumes the ball's coming short and it's thrown deep, he'll never get to it. And that's part of what happened. So they have to stick to their fundamentals of the breaking point, separation, running out of cuts, and then adjust to any ball that's thrown after that. That's probably their biggest issue. Same thing with Spencer [Parker] on his catch. He's got to understand that that ball's going to be coming right through him and he's got to adjust to that ball. We always talk about just running out of cuts, follow the track of the route, stick with the fundamentals. We had another receiver ran a hitch route who got a little hesitant, he got a little impatient with the hitch route because he was open, so he started running back to the quarterback. You never run back on a hitch route, so before you know it he's running back to the quarterback and the ball goes high because he shouldn't be going back, he should be staying there. So there are little fundamentals of patience at times. Receivers have to understand there's progression that a quarterback goes through. He looks at one receiver, then another receiver, and then another receiver. Whenever we test our receivers we have them draw up the play and we ask `what is the progression? Are you the first read? Are you the second read? Are you the third read?' So you have to be patient, you have to be open at the right time. That's all part of playing offense and being a good receiver.<<

I just hope he doesn't run out of time to fix it.

So my eyes didn't deceive me. I think it's a simple matter that these guys, for 2 years, at game speed, have been used to pass plays that are over in 3 post snap seconds. Boyle has the ability to make pass plays last longer. At this point in time, there isn't much more to be said about the QB or the receivers. They all need to get better, and this kind of thing is easy to fix with reps. We've got a long way to go, and need to start winning as a team.

Reaction Score
I can't remember every getting that much info from a head coach or a position coach. I'm ready to run a few fly patterns. :cool:

What are the odds of TJ sticking around if he is not chosen as HC? Maybe he clicks with the new HC and is just the type of OC the new head guy wants....or maybe not.

Reaction Score

I want WM to get the absolute best we can get, not a guy who looks great in comparison to PP.
Yea, I get what your saying. I just don't think he body of work is going to be a fair assessment compared to someone from a more successful school like an OC from Alabama or whatever.

Reaction Score
I don't want to blame it on Parker. Drops happen and you have to overcome it. But, if he pulls that TD pass in the whole complexion of that game changes imo. Boyle's composure Sat. was excellent.
Can't be too hard on a kid who is playing for the first time afte switching sports, but that drop and the drop in the Michigan game were momentum killers.

Reaction Score
]
What are the odds of TJ sticking around if he is not chosen as HC? Maybe he clicks with the new HC and is just the type of OC the new head guy wants....or maybe not.

It's possible. Warde clearly likes TJ and our head coaching job will have many suitors. If a good candidate come in and during the interview mentions that he hears good things about TJ and would be open to keeping him, maybe Warde hires that guy. I don't think it is a must that a new coach cleans house as some people have suggested, the house was steam cleaned last week. Our long tenured coaches were not the problem, our defense was great the last couple years until P took over. Our O-line was solid in 2011 until GDL took over.

Reaction Score
It's possible. Warde clearly likes TJ and our head coaching job will have many suitors. If a good candidate come in and during the interview mentions that he hears good things about TJ and would be open to keeping him, maybe Warde hires that guy. I don't think it is a must that a new coach cleans house as some people have suggested, the house was steam cleaned last week. Our long tenured coaches were not the problem, our defense was great the last couple years until P took over. Our O-line was solid in 2011 until GDL took over.

I would think at least one coach would be kept, if only to keep the commits happy. TJ is apparently a good recruiter so.....

The other question is, would TJ feel comfortable staying if not chosen for the HC job.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm certain Warde will hire a "pedigree" coach similar to the hockey hire and his bringing in TJ last season.
Warde just gives the vibe that he like coaches from traditional programs.

C

Chief00

Wow, TJ is loaded with insightful content. When I ran into Warde over the summer, he said I would like this guy; he was right after-all

Reaction Score
Still hoping this team turns it around and TJ gets a good luck. Watching the replay now on DVR. Those two TD drops should have had us up 14-0, early. Team, and specifically the oline looked much crisper. Admittedly, I'm still not done with the first quarter.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I really wish we had a solid TE... We got spoiled the last few years with Ryan Griffin as one of the (few) bright spots on our offense.

Reaction Score
Can't be too hard on a kid who is playing for the first time afte switching sports, but that drop and the drop in the Michigan game were momentum killers.

I'd love to see some redemption from him. Has talent to make things happen after the catch. Put him in certain situations and go from there.

Reaction Score
There is one thing that I'm 100% sure about. The new coach hired will not be required to keep any of the assistants around. He will have cart blanche to hire his entire staff.

As it should be.

Reaction Score

You could probably draw seat numbers out of a hat and give the person sitting in Sec 241 the job and he'd look good in comparison to Pasqualoni...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom