Tubby on Transfers "We Teach Them How to Quit" | The Boneyard

Tubby on Transfers "We Teach Them How to Quit"

Reaction Score
Tubby's attitude on this is clearly antiquated and perhaps a bit draconian, but at the same time I've grown fatigued of people writing articles like this because it's just the laziest possible take that neglects all nuance and possibility for a happy medium. If coaches want to change the narrative on this trend a little bit, I don't blame them. This isn't an effective way to go about that, but his frustration is understandable especially when you consider the fact that this is a guy who has a tough time recruiting, just had to essentially pay the Lawson brothers to get them to come there, and now will likely have to deal with even more transfers with the new rule. Coaches should act like adults and honor the requests of anybody who wants to transfer, but they don't need to pretend to be happy about it. It's bad for the game and the whole self-empowerment model we teach kids these days is one I vouch for 100% but there are a lot of ways to construct that.

Reaction Score
So true. It’s not just in college either. There are plenty of people I know who will stay with a job for a year or two and bounce around. Like a fart in the wind drifting from place to place. Young bucks need a good butt kickin from Mom and paw

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Tubby's attitude on this is clearly antiquated and perhaps a bit draconian, but at the same time I've grown fatigued of people writing articles like this because it's just the laziest possible take that neglects all nuance and possibility for a happy medium. If coaches want to change the narrative on this trend a little bit, I don't blame them. This isn't an effective way to go about that, but his frustration is understandable especially when you consider the fact that this is a guy who has a tough time recruiting, just had to essentially pay the Lawson brothers to get them to come there, and now will likely have to deal with even more transfers with the new rule. Coaches should act like adults and honor the requests of anybody who wants to transfer, but they don't need to pretend to be happy about it. It's bad for the game and the whole self-empowerment model we teach kids these days is one I vouch for 100% but there are a lot of ways to construct that.

One could argue that being adult would mean honor your contract.

But the NCAA treating them different even though they claim they are students first is the real hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
He's right!

As long as they have to sit out a year though they can transfer all they want. To take that out of the equation would change the dynamic in so many ways.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So true. It’s not just in college either. There are plenty of people I know who will stay with a job for a year or two and bounce around. Like a fart in the wind drifting from place to place. Young bucks need a good butt kickin from Mom and paw

Corporation, then self.

That's my damn motto.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Actually in the company I worked for if you spent your entire career at that company your were less likely to get the promotion over someone with less experience but came from another company. If you were on the management ladder you were expected to change jobs every 1 to 2 years. When interviewing a candidate I used to ask where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years. The millennial response is I should be your boss in 5 years and likely will not be here in 10!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Watch the kids transfer to schools that have the best shots to win the title.

Following in the steps of the Big 3 in Miami and KD.

"The Uconn women are so good, KD wants to play with them"

If coaches leave, that's one thing, but if kids never have to wait under any circumstances, that's another thing and that's not good

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Actually in the company I worked for if you spent your entire career at that company your were less likely to get the promotion over someone with less experience but came from another company. If you were on the management ladder you were expected to change jobs every 1 to 2 years. When interviewing a candidate I used to ask where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years. The millennial response is I should be your boss in 5 years and likely will not be here in 10!

This.
It is exactly the opposite of how it used to be and what my father taught me growing up: That company loyalty will get you rewarded. That's not the case in the new millennium. It actually works against you. Not only at your own company, but in the job market. If youve been with a company a long time and interview somewhere else the comment is " your skill set is stale and you dont have the diversity of experience required" . There is ZERO reward for loyalty on either end of the spectrum now. There is no black mark against moving around repeatedly these days, but 20-30 years ago there was, loyalty was valued very high on the list of desirable traits of a prospective employee.

the Q

Reaction Score
This.
It is exactly the opposite of how it used to be and what my father taught me growing up: That company loyalty will get you rewarded. That's not the case in the new millennium. It actually works against you. Not only at your own company, but in the job market. If youve been with a company a long time and interview somewhere else the comment is " your skill set is stale and you dont have the diversity of experience required" . There is ZERO reward for loyalty on either end of the spectrum now. There is no black mark against moving around repeatedly these days, but 20-30 years ago there was, loyalty was valued very high on the list of desirable traits of a prospective employee.

There is a limit. typically 2 years at least or you're viewed as a flight risk.

Reaction Score
One could argue that being adult would mean honor your contract.

But the NCAA treating them different even though they claim they are students first is the real hypocrisy.

Of all the things I have against the NCAA this isn't really one of them. This is a business and if they need to do certain things that are borderline exploitative to maximize interest and revenue, fine. I mean, the pro leagues do the same thing.

The problem is that they aren't compensating them financially in a proportional way - the players end up being steered towards majors that are less time-consuming because they can't reasonably take advantage of that education when their real profession is acting contrary to those goals. Many end up leaving early because they need the money and can't postpone their limited window any longer.

It's unsurprising that the NCAA has green lighted the transfer thing - they're trying to distract people from the corruption occurring elsewhere.

the Q

Reaction Score
Of all the things I have against the NCAA this isn't really one of them. This is a business and if they need to do certain things that are borderline exploitative to maximize interest and revenue, fine. I mean, the pro leagues do the same thing.

The problem is that they aren't compensating them financially in a proportional way - the players end up being steered towards majors that are less time-consuming because they can't reasonably take advantage of that education when their real profession is acting contrary to those goals. Many end up leaving early because they need the money and can't postpone their limited window any longer.

It's unsurprising that the NCAA has green lighted the transfer thing - they're trying to distract people from the corruption occurring elsewhere.

well you highlighted my point with another example.

You can't hide behind the veil of amateurism and they're STUDENTS first while also have going on what you mentioned as well.

Reaction Score
he's only saying this because he lost the Lawson twins to Kansas via transfer.

Reaction Score
he's only saying this because he lost the Lawson twins to Kansas via transfer.
Making excuses before he’s pushed out the door to make way for the ETSU coach.

Reaction Score
I’ve been hearing Penny - would be prety bold if true.

They look like the top 2 choices.

I would personally go with Forbes because there’s more empirical evidence that he knows how to coach in game. He was an assistant for Gregg Marshall and has been awesome for ETSU the past 2 years after inheriting a dumpster fire.

There’s a lot more downside with Penny IMO. Even though he’s a star, if he can’t coach Memphis out of their hole, good recruits won’t come to Memphis.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

They look like the top 2 choices.

I would personally go with Forbes because there’s more empirical evidence that he knows how to coach in game. He was an assistant for Gregg Marshall and has been awesome for ETSU the past 2 years after inheriting a dumpster fire.

There’s a lot more downside with Penny IMO. Even though he’s a star, if he can’t coach Memphis out of their hole, good recruits won’t come to Memphis.

I have no doubt Forbes is the better guy on the bench. Young alums with distinguished pro careers do have a way of grabbing administrations’ attentions though.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt Forbes is the better guy on the bench. Young alums with distinguished pro careers do have a way of grabbing administrations’ attentions though.
Whoever they go with, I hope it works out. The conference needs Memphis to make a comeback. Kelvin Sampson isn’t long for Houston most likely, and it would be a disaster if Marshall ever left WSU.

Reaction Score
Coaches can change, why not the kids?

I would support letting kids transfer and play right away under certain circumstances, including a coaching change.

But letting them be basically free agents every year, without restriction or having to sit out, is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Memphis is teaching Tubby how to get fired.

If you could build an all-"I destroyed a blue blood program" coaching staff, who would you hire? I am thinking Tubby, KO, Mike Davis and Matt Dougherty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom