Trivia Question: WNBA Championship Rings | The Boneyard

Trivia Question: WNBA Championship Rings

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How many WNBA Championship rings are owned by UConn graduates? This is not a trick question. And you can count multiple rings, e.g. Sue Bird. There have been 25 Championship teams. Additionally, can you list them.

Reaction Score
Rings = 30
Players = 17

1634589770245.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thank you so much. Excellent work. I wonder if that's the most from any one college? ( That's not a challenge, just a random thought.) Once again, I am very impressed.
Yeah it's #1 by a wide margin.

I think USC is #2...they have at least 13 between Thompson, Cooper, Leslie and Monica Lamb. I don't believe anyone else from USC has won but I could be wrong.

Tennessee has 12 total from 9 players per this report:

LSU is up there too...from my count I have 10:
Seimone Augustus-4
Sylvia Fowles-2
Elaine Powell-3
Temeka Johnson-1

Rutgers with 7 championships per this page:

ND I think has 7:
Dev Peters-2
Ruth Riley-2
Jewel Loyd-2
Coquese Washington-1

Stanford from my count has 7:
Sonia Henning-1
Nneka-1
Pohlen-1
Nicole Powell-1
Olympia Scott-Richardson-1
Brooke Smith-1
Wiggins-1

Maryland has 6 graduates, at least 8 including transfers:
Walker Kimbrough-1
Tianna Hawkins-1
Toliver-2
Langhorne-2
Natasha Cloud-1 (transfer)
Lexie Brown-1 (transfer)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think Stanford is even in the running for 2nd. For all the success of the program, their alums haven't had as big of an impact in the WNBA as would be expected. In fact other than Nneka, I'm trying to think of any who really thrived. Or hung around on rosters for an extended period of time.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think Stanford is even in the running for 2nd. For all the success of the program, their alums haven't had as big of an impact in the WNBA as would be expected. In fact other than Nneka, I'm trying to think of any who really thrived. Or hung around on rosters for an extended period of time.
Several of their touted alum went on to have nice pro careers but didn't blossom as stars liked many thought they may. Particularly Nicole Powell, Chiney Ogwumike and Candice Wiggins. Powell had a nice career as more of a sharp shooter, Chiney has never seemed to have her heart fully in basketball since coming back from her injury, and Wiggins had a good start but I think struggled socially in the WNBA per her infamous article from a few years back.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Several of their touted alum went on to have nice pro careers but didn't blossom as stars liked many thought they may. Particularly Nicole Powell, Chiney Ogwumike and Candice Wiggins. Powell had a nice career as more of a sharp shooter, Chiney has never seemed to have her heart fully in basketball since coming back from her injury, and Wiggins had a good start but I think struggled socially in the WNBA per her infamous article from a few years back.
I was definitely thinking of those 3. Appel was physically wrecked by the time she got to the W, she might've had a decent career otherwise.

Do they have anyone in the league currently other than Nneka, Chiney, McCall and Karlie Samuelson? That of course could change somewhere in the near future w/ the way they've been recruiting lately.

Their earlier stars didn't really make a big impact professionally either it seems like. Folkl, Scott, Paye, Starbird, Wideman, etc. Looks like Azzi was mildly successful. Quite a few of those started in the ABL and didn't last long once the WNBA started up.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.

The data was based on full regular seasons.

I don't have a report for playoffs yet, so I will post that later today once I have created it.

Should be able to provide data for other schools as well.

Reaction Score
Thank you so much. Excellent work. I wonder if that's the most from any one college? ( That's not a challenge, just a random thought.) Once again, I am very impressed.

As @fromfrance said… missing kalana Greene and Montgomery

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It surprised me at first glance as well, but then I remembered that Cynthia Cooper and Tina Thompson alone account for 8 WNBA titles between the two of them. By @bballnut90 's reckoning above, that would already put USC ahead of all but 3 other schools.

God I miss the Comets. :oops:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I was definitely thinking of those 3. Appel was physically wrecked by the time she got to the W, she might've had a decent career otherwise.

Do they have anyone in the league currently other than Nneka, Chiney, McCall and Karlie Samuelson? That of course could change somewhere in the near future w/ the way they've been recruiting lately.

Their earlier stars didn't really make a big impact professionally either it seems like. Folkl, Scott, Paye, Starbird, Wideman, etc. Looks like Azzi was mildly successful. Quite a few of those started in the ABL and didn't last long once the WNBA started up.

Appel I give a pass to for her injuries. Pederson is a player who I thought would thrive as a pro, since she had size, mobility and could shoot from deep but she never seemed to improve much after getting to Stanford. Wiggins I always thought was a little overrated...she was athletic and could go off but didn't have good shot selection or decision making. Chiney had all the tools to be a phenomenal pro but hasn't put in the work. Powell I'm surprised wasn't better than she was as a pro. She was a walking triple double in college and could seemingly do everything. She wouldve been a #1 pick in most drafts from her era if not for having DT and Beard in her class.

I thought Starbird should have been a stud as a pro based on her stellar collegiate career but it didn't pan out. That 97 Stanford team was stacked with talent. Also, Jennifer Azzi was outstanding. Even as an older pro she was an excellent point guard. The Starzz were quite good for a few years with Azzi there before going downhill once they relocated.

Of current talent, I think both Brink and Jones have potential to be very good pros. Brink is long, athletic, runs well and has a perimeter shot...all the tools needed to be an excellent front court player in the pros. Jones I think will be good but I could see her getting lost in the shuffle-- sort of like a Gabby Williams or Jackie Young. Good athlete and decision maker, but lacks a great jumper and doesn't have a scoring mentality.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Powell I'm surprised wasn't better than she was as a pro. She was a walking triple double in college and could seemingly do everything. She wouldve been a #1 pick in most drafts from her era if not for having DT and Beard in her class.
She was a stud in college, I expected much bigger things for her as a pro as well. I didn't follow wcbb as closely back then (well it was impossible because there weren't many games on TV), but there for a few years Powell and Giuliana Mendiola from UW were dueling as the 2 best players in the Pac 12. I thought both would go on to be good pros. Mendiola did significantly less than Powell did in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Some surprises on there. Tulane? Florida? Texas Tech much higher than I would've expected. There's Swoopes and Jia Perkins and....I can't think of any of their other alums.

Links below are from Basketball Reference.

On a player profile you can click their College link to show all WNBA players.

Champions
Tulane (Barbara Farris x1, Janell Burse x1 & Teana Miller x1)
Florida (Tammy Jackson x4, DeLisha Milton-Jones x2, Sophia Witherspoon x1)
Texas Tech (Sheryl Swoopes x4, Plenette Pierson x3, Alicia Thompson x1, Jia Perkins x1)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oops, I forgot about her (just like Sandy Brondello has :rolleyes:).
Did you see her play this year? It's not like she never saw the court. She shot less than 25% FG in 8.5 mpg. She really wasn't good.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did you see her play this year? It's not like she never saw the court. She shot less than 25% FG in 8.5 mpg. She really wasn't good.
Yeah but she got hot in the playoffs, 67% overall and 50% behind the arc. :rolleyes: (albeit in only 3.5 mpg in 4 games total...)

Vaughn shot 30% from the floor in the playoffs. Maybe Sandy should've sat her and played Smith more.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She was a stud in college, I expected much bigger things for her as a pro as well. I didn't follow wcbb as closely back then (well it was impossible because there weren't many games on TV), but there for a few years Powell and Giuliana Mendiola from UW were dueling as the 2 best players in the Pac 12. I thought both would go on to be good pros. Mendiola did significantly less than Powell did in the WNBA.
Mendiola was a joy to watch. I bet her career pans out differently if her family didn't have crazy off the court issues. I'm sure that affected her play and focus significantly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom