Trivia question - top five DI schools by winning percentage over last five years. | The Boneyard

Trivia question - top five DI schools by winning percentage over last five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If I asked who had the best winning percentage among DI schools, well, why bother, everyone here knows.
If I asked who was in second and fourth, I don't think it would be hard to guess, but I'll not post the answer in case someone wants to guess.

The other two teams in the top five weren't the first that would come to mind, so the real trivia question is who can name third and fifth, winning percentage, last five years. No fair looking it up.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not so ambitious to give it a lot of thought or look it up. I suppose Stanford and Notre Dame must be the 2nd and 4th from your hint.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if a Marist or someone of that sort snuck in there. You need not only an excellent OOC record, you need to dominate your conference (Stanford fits that bill), so possibly a Duke could sneak in, but it is hard to think of any teams that dominate the major conferences the way UConn has the BE. I wish I knew how well Baylor did before the last 3 years. Other mid-majors with probable strong records include Green Bay and Bowling Green, I think. Deleware not for long enough.

Or I could be totally wrong, not for the 1st time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stanford has to be #2. I say Green Bay #3. Duke might be around 5 or 6th.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Stanford has to be #2. I say Green Bay #3. Duke might be around 5 or 6th.

Righto for Stanford. Kudos for the Green Bay pick for #3. Duke is up there, but seventh.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Here's a hint, which may throw some people off—I've watched them play in person this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
ding, ding ding, we have a winner.

I wonder if the TV will play that up when we meet this coming week

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yes, I thought that hint would be a little more subtle.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was hoping that someone might read "this year" and think I was referring to 2012, so it might have been a last season game.

In any event, I knew Marist has had a good run, but didn't realize it was that good. Congrats Brian Giorgis

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a fun Trivia question and impressive guess work!
The thing I find most interesting is that I assume the #1 team would remain the same if you chose 10 yrs, 15 yrs, and probably 20 yrs. The rest of the cast would be readjusted though I suspect Stanford would remain in the top 5 most of the time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't have 10 or 15, just 5 and all-time. (although I'm sure UConn is tops in both)

I was slightly surprised that UConn is number one all-time. It's close enough that it wasn't true when the NCAA Tournament started last year. It's close enough that I bet the lead changed several times last season. It is close enough that you have to agree on how to count ties. The top three have the same won-lost percentage to 3 decimal places.

One of the other two is obvious, the third is fairly easy.

The fourth and fifth place teams also have the same percentage, to three decimal places, but are six percentage points behind UConn et al.

I think you effectively guessed that one of those two is Stanford.

The other one I would have taken some time to guess, although after hearing it I should have known.

Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't know that about Marist, as much as I've admired their run. I've been one of those BYers who has said that UConn would be better off playing teams like Marist than participating in that absolutely awful tournament in Hartford that they went to for about three years -- the one that brought in teams like Hofstra and Iona. I couldn't be happier with the lineup at the Paradise Jam this year. I went to that tournament last time UConn played, and the competition was darn good that year, too. I seem to recall a very satisfying beatdown of Duke. Anyway, this season's lineup of out of conference opponents is really good and worthy of a team like UConn, IMHO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't know that about Marist, as much as I've admired their run. I've been one of those BYers who has said that UConn would be better off playing teams like Marist than participating in that absolutely awful tournament in Hartford that they went to for about three years -- the one that brought in teams like Hofstra and Iona. I couldn't be happier with the lineup at the Paradise Jam this year. I went to that tournament last time UConn played, and the competition was darn good that year, too. I seem to recall a very satisfying beatdown of Duke. Anyway, this season's lineup of out of conference opponents is really good and worthy of a team like UConn, IMHO.
Money! That is the reason for that 'god awful' tournament Uconn played and one of the reasons Marist is a tough schedule. Uconn schedules a number of home and home games against major conference foes and has the balanced BE schedule - most of the other games they want to schedule are home games because of the money issue.
Teams like Marist which are very good mid-majors don't want to play just road games, they want the H and H as well. For Uconn to schedule them, they would likely drop one of the other H and H games like MD or TAM or Duke - losing revenue and schedule strength. It is the ongoing trial for mid-majors in scheduling - if they want to up their SOS they generally have to play away games.
Yes we played the H and H with C of C but that was specific to a geographic positive to Uconn, like the west coast cupcake we played in concert with one of the Stanford games a few years ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't have 10 or 15, just 5 and all-time. (although I'm sure UConn is tops in both)

I was slightly surprised that UConn is number one all-time. It's close enough that it wasn't true when the NCAA Tournament started last year. It's close enough that I bet the lead changed several times last season. It is close enough that you have to agree on how to count ties. The top three have the same won-lost percentage to 3 decimal places.

One of the other two is obvious, the third is fairly easy.

The fourth and fifth place teams also have the same percentage, to three decimal places, but are six percentage points behind UConn et al.

I think you effectively guessed that one of those two is Stanford.

The other one I would have taken some time to guess, although after hearing it I should have known.
So ... where are you getting your stats?
I am guessing
Uconn
Tenn
___
Stanford
___
The remaining two are tough to guess - I am thinking maybe one of the early greats like Lady Techsters? and Texas? UNC? - really just throwing out ideas.

Reaction Score
Money! That is the reason for that 'god awful' tournament Uconn played and one of the reasons Marist is a tough schedule. Uconn schedules a number of home and home games against major conference foes and has the balanced BE schedule - most of the other games they want to schedule are home games because of the money issue.
Teams like Marist which are very good mid-majors don't want to play just road games, they want the H and H as well. For Uconn to schedule them, they would likely drop one of the other H and H games like MD or TAM or Duke - losing revenue and schedule strength. It is the ongoing trial for mid-majors in scheduling - if they want to up their SOS they generally have to play away games.
Yes we played the H and H with C of C but that was specific to a geographic positive to Uconn, like the west coast cupcake we played in concert with one of the Stanford games a few years ago.

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying there are no good reasons for it, just wishing things were a tad different.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am guessing
Uconn
Tenn
___
Stanford
___
The remaining two are tough to guess - I am thinking maybe one of the early greats like Lady Techsters? and Texas? UNC? - really just throwing out ideas.

Remember there are a number of mid major teams that run their conferences and only have a loss or two OOC and/or one in the NCAA tourney. They don't pile up many losses over the years.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I am guessing
Uconn
Tenn
___
Stanford
___

The Souce is NCAA Stats.

Correct on UConn and Tennessee, both with 81.8% winning percentage all-time. Stanford is correct, in at 5th, with 75.8%.

Your guess on the Lady Techsters is spot on, they are virtually tied with Stanford at 75.8%

That leaves one missing. Texas is an excellent thought, they are sixth , UNC is 15th, so this just leaves the 4th place team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the source link. I never would have guessed the #4 team.
On the five year numbers I suspect there will be a change in the top five after this year.
I also love looking at the scoring margin single year - top three are Uconn and represent the three 'ages' of the program 2002, 2010, and 1995.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the source link. I never would have guessed the #4 team.
On the five year numbers I suspect there will be a change in the top five after this year.

It rang a bell after I saw it, but mainly because I've been watching all-time coaching stats, and I remember the coach reaching some milestones and being among the percentage leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom