OT: - Trinity college womens squash #1 | The Boneyard

OT: Trinity college womens squash #1

Reaction Score
3 out of 15 are American, 12 from overseas. None of the 3 played as only 9 compete. Virtually all of the 9 who played are freshman or sophomores, except freshman are now called "first year." So they will likely be number 1 for a while. It just seems a little too many are from overseas for me. I think a much better number is oh say 5 out of 10. Not sure where I happened to come from with number.

Reaction Score
3 out of 15 are American, 12 from overseas. None of the 3 played as only 9 compete. Virtually all of the 9 who played are freshman or sophomores, except freshman are now called "first year." So they will likely be number 1 for a while. It just seems a little too many are from overseas for me. I think a much better number is oh say 5 out of 10. Not sure where I happened to come from with number.
This is not new and has been happening for decades. In fact it has been a running joke, especially in the men's game, that the more Americans were in the lineup, the less elite the team.

Trinity has become a squash icon, especially on the men's side, started by Coach Paul Assiante the "Geno" of men's squash and equally legendary in that sport. His winning streak was 252 matches from 1998 to 2012 is the longest streak in college sports history. Like Geno, he also took a team from a standing start and made it legendary, in the process taking it from the traditional Ivy powerhouses that considered it a birthright. A personal anecdote:

Years ago my two godsons were All Americans at Harvard via South Africa and Canada. We were at the Murr, Harvard's squash complex for the end of year tournament that decided the national champion. Trinity was dominating, and Trinity alum Tom Wolfe was there in his white suit cheering them. I remarked to the older godson how remarkable it was for a small Trinity to dominate the Ivies. Notwithstanding all of Harvard's blessings, he begrudgingly remarked "...you know some of the Trinity players are academically challenged...". I let it go.

The next day I saw a #8 Harvard player, an American, who came in as a squash player. This is relevant as in my day squash players were mostly tennis players who learned and played squash in college in winter to stay in shape. Now they arrive in college with a well-developed game. I asked if the Harvard coaches had played any role in his squash skills? He replied,"absolutely, they've played an infinitesimal role." Not believing my ears I asked the question several different ways and he insisted the played an infinitesimal amount. Finally I asked if he meant "infinite" and he replied "infinite, infinitesimal same thing, no?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom