Trickle Down Football (starts AAC) | The Boneyard

Trickle Down Football (starts AAC)

Reaction Score
The University of Alabama at Birmingham – Birmingham, Alabama; Florida Atlantic University – Boca Raton, Florida; The University of North Carolina at Charlotte – Charlotte, North Carolina; The University of North Texas – Denton, Texas; Rice University – Houston, Texas; and The University of Texas at San Antonio – San Antonio, Texas These are Today's winners. Marshall+ Old Dominion (nearly northeast) are losers. AAC just raised a bunch of newby Football Programs that weren't playing in 2010.

Now our Media Troll Brett McMuffin is saying that the Sunbelt is going to win with Marshall and 3 others going Sunbelt versus CUSA. James Madison U. will step up in this move to FBS. Making the CUSA scramble and look at .. UMass + UConn. Nuts.

Both the ASUN and the newly revamped WAC are both looking at going FBS within years. ASU is Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, North Alabama, Kennesaw and others; WAC is Tarleton, SF Austin, Sam Houston, Lamar, Southern Utah. Lots of Texas and 2 Utah. And then the Gulf South Conference West Florida, West Georgia, Valdosta State. I think MWC is talking to Montana & North Dakota State.

We all should be in Stadium Architecture and Construction in the next few years. Then? The CUSA/Sunbelt etc will pull the best up.

Yes. Mr. Tuthill. I am gonna be right: There are going to be 12-20 new FBS within 18-24 months; with about 10 others circling. What does anyone notice about this? NO Northeast or even Northern programs. What does my strategic mind think? Just that the Northeast won't stand for this.

Will Maine or UNH? SUNY schools (I say yes ... and they give me a paycheck)? One: The AAC is a great place to leave; Two: We will have several newby FBS to play drivable.

Reaction Score
The conferences are moving to supersizing. I think the working theory is pretty clear. More eyes, more negotiating power. It will be interesting to see what the AAC does. Not sure they feel comfortable sitting tight. The B1G might want to make a few moves.

Reaction Score
Here's hoping one day we get a conference that focuses on teams from New England the MidAtlantic at the FBS level... I think it could flourish.. if we figure it out... The CAA has done quite well at the FCS level.. There are enough FBS teams to form a league like this...

The sleeper of the bunch (the sleeping Giant I call it) is HBCU... If all the programs start building their programs like Deion's building Jackson State ( a few of them have already started )... watch out...

Reaction Score
I don't know how this does not bifurcate. With NIL in place the money at the upper echelon of college athletics will be very big, so large programs will facilitate the funneling of professional type money to top recruits. Somebody tell me how smaller programs compete with that?

It only makes sense that a smaller number of top programs grab as much of the media money as they can and, of course, that's what will drive realignment more than anything else. Maybe the smaller P5-4 programs hang on (the Vandy, Wakes and BCs of the world).....maybe they don't. I have to believe that the BiG and SEC are eying the west coast and that the big programs on that coast are making furtive glances back. Two power conferences covering the entire country I have to believe gobble up a big chunk of media money.

I don't see what UCONN gains by joining another fledgling conference. If we can schedule as an indie of the time being I think we stay the course.

Reaction Score
The conferences are moving to supersizing. I think the working theory is pretty clear. More eyes, more negotiating power. It will be interesting to see what the AAC does. Not sure they feel comfortable sitting tight. The B1G might want to make a few moves.

Why wouldn't the BiG look to Calif. and Washington State. And why wouldn't those programs not like big fat media shares and coast to coast media coverage? Then the SEC takes Arizona and maybe Colorado and/or Utah. Super big boy football.....sorry PAC remnants and ACC and oh, big12, there's no life support for you.

Reaction Score
Yes. The money. The Big 12 remainders are happy pulling in Cincinnati (and their stellar 2021) + Houston, UCF, BYU. But the $35m they reported is bound to drop into the $20s. The AAC is talking of staying near $7m (with production costs) and then $2m to the new six universities (who are gonna be happy as it is many times $500m they currently receive). Anyone else see the bifurcation. UAB could beat many of the $50m plus B1G or SEC.

I agree. What nails Vandy and Northwestern and Rutgers to the top tier. Conference? That's not my idea of how the world works. Goldman Sachs didn't keep the Paine Webbers in the group for long. Separation someway somehow is implicit in the Texas thought. Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Penn State. It is not obvious today; but in 10 yrs? And the NIL is bound to separate recruiting and the play in many sports. We can already see millions going to WBB hoop stars at UCONN and not some team in the WCC or MAAC. Every sport is going to seem like the noon game of Number 1 seed versus Number 16 in March Madness.

I see no reason to yearn for conference in football. We have BE and MSG and Hockey East. Our Independent schedule is a success and will only get better with the realignment ambiguity. WE need to prize the strategy of being regional in football: more northeastern FBS + regional P5 + some attractive money games. Drive to games. No Tulsa.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Yes. The money. The Big 12 remainders are happy pulling in Cincinnati (and their stellar 2021) + Houston, UCF, BYU. But the $35m they reported is bound to drop into the $20s. The AAC is talking of staying near $7m (with production costs) and then $2m to the new six universities (who are gonna be happy as it is many times $500m they currently receive). Anyone else see the bifurcation. UAB could beat many of the $50m plus B1G or SEC.

I agree. What nails Vandy and Northwestern and Rutgers to the top tier. Conference? That's not my idea of how the world works. Goldman Sachs didn't keep the Paine Webbers in the group for long. Separation someway somehow is implicit in the Texas thought. Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Penn State. It is not obvious today; but in 10 yrs? And the NIL is bound to separate recruiting and the play in many sports. We can already see millions going to WBB hoop stars at UCONN and not some team in the WCC or MAAC. Every sport is going to seem like the noon game of Number 1 seed versus Number 16 in March Madness.

I see no reason to yearn for conference in football. We have BE and MSG and Hockey East. Our Independent schedule is a success and will only get better with the realignment ambiguity. WE need to prize the strategy of being regional in football: more northeastern FBS + regional P5 + some attractive money games. Drive to games. No Tulsa.

Not that is to happen, but I would take the ACC and Big Ten over the Big East just saying

Reaction Score
So would UConn
Unfortunately, the deal to be able get out is really punitive. I would still hope they would do it if they have the chance, taking a long term view instead of a short money view. But, Storrs has proven itself relatively in-artful at navigating and cutting deals over the last 15 years.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the deal to be able get out is really punitive. I would still hope they would do it if they have the chance, taking a long term view instead of a short money view. But, Storrs has proven itself relatively in-artful at navigating and cutting deals over the last 15 years.
I think the exit fee is $30 million which would get covered in short order due to a drastic increase in revenue from (our new share of) the TV contract. We would say yes to either before they finished asking.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think the exit fee is $30 million which would get covered in short order due to a drastic increase in revenue from (our new share of) the TV contract. We would say yes to either before they finished asking.
And it drops to $15M in a few years and then again in a few more (maybe to $10M, it’s been a while since I looked at that.)

Reaction Score

The other two factors.
1). Southern teams are better. The UAB, etc.
2). UConn fans don’t really have a national view. The Yale game dispjayed that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom