Trick inbounds play for Vital Dunk | The Boneyard

Trick inbounds play for Vital Dunk

Reaction Score
Anyone have a video?

I've been searching for an easy trick inbounds play like that to try with my team, but I really haven't found an effective one. That seems simple for me, as long as whoever is in Vital's spot has good timing, isn't the star player, and fakes a back cut to get the defense looking.

That was a DAGGER of a play call by Ollie.

Say what you want about his coaching, but he is terrific out of timeouts (even if Vital did flub the first inbound pass.)

Reaction Score
ESPN had it in the game highlight.

Not sure I'd call it a trick though. Memphis was asleep at the wheel.

Let's call it "unique" you're right it wasn't a trick. Circling up in the opposite corner is just something you don't often see on a corner/baseline inbounds play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They were grouped at about a 45 degree angle from the inbounder and about 20' away. Memphis made the bad assumption that UConn wanted room for the guards to shoot towards the ball.

Much like a safety biting on play action. Someone on defense has to have the responsibility of breaking to defend the rim.

Reaction Score
Let's call it "unique" you're right it wasn't a trick. Circling up in the opposite corner is just something you don't often see on a corner/baseline inbounds play.
I think that the change in inbounder after the deflection caused Memphis to not match up properly.

Vital inbounded the previous play, then switched with Purvis. Defenders didn't switch off properly and he fell off back of stack. It was odd that they were stacking 30 feet from the inbounder. But seems like that would backfire half the time.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a video?

I've been searching for an easy trick inbounds play like that to try with my team, but I really haven't found an effective one. That seems simple for me, as long as whoever is in Vital's spot has good timing, isn't the star player, and fakes a back cut to get the defense looking.

That was a DAGGER of a play call by Ollie.

Say what you want about his coaching, but he is terrific out of timeouts (even if Vital did flub the first inbound pass.)
Do we use those lineup inbounds plays more than other teams? It's not that frequent but every time they do it my wife says "what is this? why do they do this?" and then the Vital dunk happened and she was like "oh, okay"

Yeah I think its hard to defend those when you have a bunch of quick guys like we do, but you have to have a defender in the back there to protect the hoop, just one!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
its more of an NBA type play or better yet - ploy

C

Chief00

Funny thing the previous inbounds - although slightly different scenario - I said that play was there - good to see we took advantage of it - they were over playing the comeback pass.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
WHen I saw the "alignment" for the inbounds I was dumbfounded at what I thought was idiotic. #ima

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The trick to that play was Memphis not having anyone between the last guy and our basket. Rule #1.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was so much a trick play as Vitale noticing that no one was behind him and no one looked like they were going to be able to stop him from going deep. It's always an option, and normally you run someone (or two someones) long even if they are covered to open up room in the backcourt.

The moment Vitale turned upcourt and saw he was free deep, he put his hand up. If this truly was a designed play meant for him to be free deep, he wouldn't have done that to call attention to himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom