Trey McGowens | The Boneyard

Trey McGowens

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
> or < Nolley?
Nolley >>>>>>
No. Nolley has more upside but FAR more baggage. Mcgowns is a warrior from a military prep school who will defend his tail off and can hit free throws. You take McGowns 10000%

Reaction Score
No. Nolley has more upside but FAR more baggage. Mcgowns is a warrior from a military prep school who will defend his tail off and can hit free throws. You take McGowns 10000%
This shouldn't even be a conversation but not surprising given its coming from you

Reaction Score
> or < Nolley?

Nolley is a more dire positional need.

McGowens seems to fit our style of play better. Better defender by far. But he's a 2/3 and we've already got RJ, gaff, bouk, adams, jackson at his position.

Both are very good but had low %s this year. Both have a mid-level ceiling imo. Nolley bc of hops. Mcgowens bc of his being slightly undersized for the nba.

You take either happily.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Really talented kid, but I’m not sure I see a fit. He reminds me a lot of Purvis, in that you could get a 30 point night or he could be MIA. I would guess he goes down south somewhere.

It was worth a chuckle to see a local writer here tweet that “McGowens was Pitt’s highest rated recruit since Steven Adams” with one in the transfer portal and the other, their only notable current NBA alum, who did not write flattering things about his time there in his book. Really breaks my heart.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Nolley is a more dire positional need.

McGowens seems to fit our style of play better. Better defender by far. But he's a 2/3 and we've already got RJ, gaff, bouk, adams, jackson at his position.

Both are very good but had low %s this year. Both have a mid-level ceiling imo. Nolley bc of hops. Mcgowens bc of his being slightly undersized for the nba.

You take either happily.
Right now we have a need for a defensive perimeter piece. We have one above average defender in BA and three below average defenders in Bouk, Gaff, and RJ. We lost our two best perimeter defenders. Defense is supposed be our identity.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Unless Hurley can get McGowens to play in a team concept, he's not a good fit. In his head, McGowens needs to be the headliner, not a support piece. He wouldn't take a back seat to Bouknight, nor is his defense anywhere near Vital's.

Reaction Score
Unless Hurley can get McGowens to play in a team concept, he's not a good fit. In his head, McGowens needs to be the headliner, not a support piece. He wouldn't take a back seat to Bouknight, nor is his defense anywhere near Vital's.
Great post and I imagine you watch more Pitt basketball than anyone else on the cafe.

I didn't watch Pitt play at all last year, but the stats suggest that McGowens' sophomore season resembles pretty closely to Vital's sophomore season, which was clearly his worst and much iso-centric season with UConn. Here's a comparison below between McGowens' and Vital's sophomore seasons:

Shots per game:

TM:
10.2 shots a game at a 36.7% clip.
CV: 11.3 shots a game at 38.3% clip.

3 point attempts:
TM:
4 3PA/game at a 31.1% clip
CV: 6.7 3PA/game at a 31.8% clip

A/TO:
TM:
3.3/2.8
CV: 1.7/1.8

Personally, with Bouknight and Cole at the lead guard roles, plus Gaffney's stabling presence along with a growing role, I don't see a guy like McGowens coming here. He'd have to wait one year after transferring to get a role similar to what he got in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Hurley is involved with the top 2 transfers on the market. That's good. Do we really think guys who excelled in the ACC can really play in the Big East?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom