Tremendous USA Today editorial praising Christyn & Liv | The Boneyard

Tremendous USA Today editorial praising Christyn & Liv

Reaction Score
Those figures were eye opening, I didn't realize so many have opted to transfer :eek:

Kat

Reaction Score
I read that the other day. USA Today had several interesting articles about the UConn team and players. I have always admired how Geno picks these elite players, looking for the ones who are willing to work harder than they ever have before. He makes no guarantees to his recruits and even though they have been the stars of their HS teams, more often than not they have to ride the pine until they prove themselves. That takes a special player--one who knows she's good but want to be better.

Also interesting was Geno's observation regarding the transfer portal, that hundreds of players can end up without a team to play for.

Reaction Score
Really interesting article. Thanks for the great read. Just SMDH trying to rap my brain around 800+ in the portal!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really interesting article. Thanks for the great read. Just SMDH trying to rap my brain around 800+ in the portal!
Up to the minute total = 948. In the weeks to come that number should rise to 1000+, same as last year.

Reaction Score
All 4 FF coaches addressed Transfer Portal media questions in their respective pressers last week, with same response.

Louisville’s Jeff Walz said it best, about crazy Transfer Portal numbers:

"Grass is always greener… until you realize it's fertilized by [expletive].”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A well written, informative article.

Kudos to Christyn and Liv. Though they may have given us agita at times, they both show character and resolve. I'm going to miss these two.

Walz comment completely sums up the transfer portal mess.

Reaction Score
Great article. Credit Liv and CW for staying and hanging in there. Nothing against anyone entering the transfer portal. Those players have their valid reasons for entering the portal. I support their decisions and wish all of them the best. But hats off to our two seniors for staying and putting in the work.

Reaction Score
When I saw the title of this thread, I said to myself, "USA Today is editorializing about women's basketball. This I have to see." And, in fact, it's a fine article, as may have said. However, I'd like to point out what some will call a technicality, but isn't, really: This was not an editorial.

An editorial is the opinion of the organization publishing it, in this case USA Today, or of its editor. But this is an opinion piece, or an opinion column, or maybe an op-ed, a term that describes opinion pieces that are published opposite the editorial on the editorial pages. Or, at least, that used to be, back when editorials published on pages were relevant.

This in no way detracts from the validity of the points being made. It's just that it's really unlikely that USA Today, or any national newspaper, would take on this issue in an actual editorial. Fact is, an opinion piece can be written by almost literally anyone. Having written a few, I can attest to that. Because an editorial is the opinion of the organization and/or its leaders, it carries more weight than one person's opinion does, or, at least, it's supposed to. Often the organization has an editorial board that tosses around ideas for editorials and proposes opinions. The editorial is what results from that process. Having written a couple thousand of them, I can attest to that, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom