Travis Jones had a nice game | The Boneyard

Travis Jones had a nice game

Reaction Score
I know that there are folks who don’t buy into this site (mostly because you can’t actually see the grading criteria to see how they come up w/ the score) but here is what they have on Travis Jones after yesterday’s game:

National Defense Team of the Week: NCAA Week 12 – Team of the Week | Pro Football Focus

>>DEFENSIVE INTERIOR
Travis Jones, UConn
Week 12 Grade: 89.1

Jones recorded eight solo tackles for the Huskies in a losing effort as he led the nation’s interior defensive linemen with three tackles for either a loss or no gain against the run.<<

... and before yesterday:

Reaction Score
I know that there are folks who don’t buy into this site (mostly because you can’t actually see the grading criteria to see how they come up w/ the score) but here is what they have on Travis Jones after yesterday’s game:

National Defense Team of the Week: NCAA Week 12 – Team of the Week | Pro Football Focus

>>DEFENSIVE INTERIOR
Travis Jones, UConn

Jones recorded eight solo tackles for the Huskies in a losing effort as he led the nation’s interior defensive linemen with three tackles for either a loss or no gain against the run.<<

That's impressive. Now he needs to take the Eric Cobb challenge and come back in beast mode shape next year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

>>DEFENSIVE INTERIOR
Travis Jones, UConn

There's no doubt in my mind that he'll play on Sundays. None at all. He was a fantastic pickup for this program.

Now, we need someone who will get the entire unit together...

Reaction Score
Five tackles, five assists, he was noticiable in the ECU backfield, had at least one TFL. He is a walking mismatch. Be nice if he had a little help.
He seemed to be moving a little quicker yesterday as well. Thought he was held on several plays which the refs didn't see or just chose to not throw the flag. That's up to Edsall and Crocker to call it to the attention of the refs.

Reaction Score
Jones is going to be a cornerstone. He can’t be blocked one on one and can’t be moved when double teamed - as a true freshman. I look at Uguak and see a DT. If he can put on 20-30 pounds (and he has the frame to support it) I think that would be an unbelievable duo in the middle.

People are flipping out about HCRE recruits but there are some players that are showing me flashes. We still need a ton of talent reinforcements but there are the makings of a formidable DL as soon as next year. Beavers needs to work on pass rush moves but I love how he gets off the ball.

We need a complete redo at linebacker. None on the current two deep should occupy those spots next season. Staff should be looking high and low for two starters that simply know how to fill a gap hard and wrap up.

Reaction Score
He seemed to be moving a little quicker yesterday as well. Thought he was held on several plays which the refs didn't see or just chose to not throw the flag. That's up to Edsall and Crocker to call it to the attention of the refs.

And the thing I like about Jones, despite being the heaviest guy on that D, he never gives up. Guy is always working and moving and it paid dividends on a couple of his tackles. I hope he becomes more vocal as he gets more experience because there are a ton of players on that defense who should be giving way more effort.

Reaction Score
Good to see he is getting some national recognition. If you are good, the pros will find you regardless of what team you play for.

C

Chief00

Travis is a himvle young man with quiet confidence. Chief loves having a run stuffed in the DL - if we found another - some edge rushers and a couple of linebackers - we would start to improve.

Reaction Score
Travis is a himvle young man with quiet confidence. Chief loves having a run stuffed in the DL - if we found another - some edge rushers and a couple of linebackers - we would start to improve.
Doesn't UConn have two linebackers signed for next year who are three or four star recruits? Dillon Harris and Jackson Mitchell?

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have two linebackers signed for next year who are three or four star recruits? Dillon Harris and Jackson Mitchell?

Dillon Harris, in my opinion, can save this defense. He is tearing it up in JUCO, and would team with Kevon Jones to add serious attitude to the D. Hoping he stays committed and become part of the solution.

Reaction Score
We can all piss and moan on the Defensive side.

Travis + Jonathan Pace + Uguak are all a good start towards a solid front (need 4 more ... and maybe DeVaughn is there and Beavers and Caleb Thomas). I am reasonably happy with what I have seen. And know what a frigging challenge this year was for kids.

The LB is a total wipeout contrasted to HCRE 1.0. Is Jon Wholley near competent or are we just 3 recruiting classes with zero input. YES. Kevon Jones is a good prospect; and I have not seen much from Gardner. Hahn? I thought he played better as the year went on. This is the worst unit on the Team. And with Todd Orlando, this was a core group we had ... when we were good.

Then ... and I know there will be blowback - with reason because we have seen crappy open field tackling ... but I like the Wilson-Herring, Coyle, Fortt, Carroll, Lucien, Lazarus, ONeill Robinson grouping.

We know we can point the finger at Diaco. And Edsall has one big hole to dig out of now: Can he recruit with the taint we now have.

Reaction Score
We do have two 3

Travis + Jonathan Pace + Uguak are all a good start towards a solid front (need 4 more ... and maybe DeVaughn is there and Beavers and Caleb Thomas). I am reasonably happy with what I have seen. And know what a frigging challenge this year was for kids.

The LB is a total wipeout contrasted to HCRE 1.0. Is Jon Wholley near competent or are we just 3 recruiting classes with zero input. YES. Kevon Jones is a good prospect; and I have not seen much from Gardner. Hahn? I thought he played better as the year went on. This is the worst unit on the Team. And with Todd Orlando, this was a core group we had ... when we were good.

Then ... and I know there will be blowback - with reason because we have seen crappy open field tackling ... but I like the Wilson-Herring, Coyle, Fortt, Carroll, Lucien, Lazarus, ONeill Robinson grouping.

We know we can point the finger at Diaco. And Edsall has one big hole to dig out of now: Can he recruit with the taint we now have.
We do have a couple of 3 or 4 star linebacker recruits coming in next year. Dillon Harris and Jackson Mitchell. Mitchell I think also is a pretty good tight end.

Reaction Score
We do have a couple of 3 or 4 star linebacker recruits coming in next year. Dillon Harris and Jackson Mitchell. Mitchell I think also is a pretty good tight end.

Just checked Rivals. Between the two, their other offers are CCSU and Louisiana-Lafayette. May be upgrades to the current starters, but probably best to temper expectations.

Reaction Score
We do have two 3

Mitchell is a WR when on offense...

Reaction Score
Just checked Rivals. Between the two, their other offers are CCSU and Louisiana-Lafayette. May be upgrades to the current starters, but probably best to temper expectations.

Dillion Harris was originally committed for Class of 2017 before heading to Lackawanna.

>>According to the rivals.com site, Harris is the No. 2 rated Connecticut prospect in the class while fellow UConn commit Kevon Jones from East Hartford is rated fifth among in-state players.

According to the 247sports.com site, he held offers from Boston College, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers, Syracuse and Temple.<<

Reaction Score

Might want to check Harris offers again. He seems like he loves his home state so I hope that keeps him committed. We need his attitude on defense.

I am a huge believer in the belief you build your defense up the middle. Travis Jones, Dillon Harris, And Tyler Cole is a nice core.

Reaction Score
Mitchell is a WR when on offense...
He will not be a wide receiver. He is a big kid, seems even bigger than what they list him at. He's either a TE or LB at the next level. I've seen him play 5 or 6 times. Some recruiting sites have him listed as a three star.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is the worst linebacking corps I have ever witnessed. The play has been abysmal all year. No one on the current two deep, save Gilmartin on short yardage D, should be on the two deep next season.

Reaction Score
He will not be a wide receiver. He is a big kid, seems even bigger than what they list him at. He's either a TE or LB at the next level. I've seen him play 5 or 6 times.

Yea - sorry. I wasn’t projecting next level - just what he currently plays @ Ridgefield.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like Ridgefield is mostly using him as a DE this season on D. Maybe he finds a Beavers like hybrid DE/LB role at UConn, but only more effective. Difficult to project this kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom