Travelers Championship | The Boneyard

Travelers Championship

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Posted on another thread but apparently is not active now. I have volunteered at the Travelers Championship since 2000, first as a Roving Marshal, and the last 10 years as a Walking Scorer. The best thing about being a Walking Scorer is that you are with the players the entire round, walking with them, recording all their shots for the PGA. Listening to their conversations with their caddies, as well as personal conversations between players as they walk the fairways and on the tee box. I have attended this tournament since it was called the ICO, GHO, SDJGHO, Canon GHO, Buick Championship, and of course, the Travelers Championship. My son was on the executive commitee for the Greater Hartford Jaycees, the organization that started the tournament and ran it until Travelers took over. Travelers has elevated this tournament to a "must play" stop on the tour, gaining the "Players Choice Award" in 2018 and 2019. This is a great experience that I look forward to every year, and I'm wondering if there are any other BYs that do volunteer there. I can't wait until next week, it will be fun. FYI, tickets to attend can only be obtained online, none at the gate.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am volunteering Wednesday (Pro-Am day) through Friday. I do it through First Tee of Connecticut. I have volunteered with them at the Tournament in the past and have done some other volunteer work with First Tee.

First Tee is responsible for the Thirteenth Hole, a Par 5 with water on the right and old railroad tracks/woods/out of bounds on the left. It is a birdie hole, reachable in two. In the past I have been positioned near the sand trap on the left where some drives end up. I get an up close look at the pros from there, plus it is in the shade.

Spot balls in the rough, rake the bunker, retrieve balls that go OB. Hoping to be stationed there for at least one or two of the three days.

The Tournament has flourished in recent years and once again has a strong field despite playing the week after the U. S. Open in California. As a volunteer, I am very impressed with how well it is organized and run.

I saw that Chris Daley and Jim Calhoun are playing in the Pro-Am, and a couple of other UConn coaches. No Geno though. Ray Allen has played in the past. I think Dan Orlovsky is playing again this year. Allen and Orlovsky both hit it as far as most of the pros do.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Posted on another thread but apparently is not active now. I have volunteered at the Travelers Championship since 2000, first as a Roving Marshal, and the last 10 years as a Walking Scorer. The best thing about being a Walking Scorer is that you are with the players the entire round, walking with them, recording all their shots for the PGA. Listening to their conversations with their caddies, as well as personal conversations between players as they walk the fairways and on the tee box. I have attended this tournament since it was called the ICO, GHO, SDJGHO, Canon GHO, Buick Championship, and of course, the Travelers Championship. My son was on the executive commitee for the Greater Hartford Jaycees, the organization that started the tournament and ran it until Travelers took over. Travelers has elevated this tournament to a "must play" stop on the tour, gaining the "Players Choice Award" in 2018 and 2019. This is a great experience that I look forward to every year, and I'm wondering if there are any other BYs that do volunteer there. I can't wait until next week, it will be fun. FYI, tickets to attend can only be obtained online, none at the gate.
dang, u got juice. i am trying hard to wrap my mind around that anyone hanging around this joint is actually trusted with a pencil and an official pga anything scorecard. might need some affidavits or signed t's or something for support. a bar napkin that spieth sneezed into would work as well. can't fake that. on a side note and on behalf of 3.5 million nutmeggers (i asked each and every one this morning), a rousing thanks to you and all the others for not only keeping the tourney alive, but also raising it back up into the big time.

Reaction Score
I have a fellow UCOnn alum friend who has been volunteering for 40+ years... he loves it! One of his faves was being a walking scorer for Nick Faldo, way back when. Now that he's old, he does shot link

Reaction Score
Yes, walking scorer is so much fun! I did it for a few years, but now they are requiring 3 days! (And I didn't even see it listed as a committee this year.) So I haven't in a couple years now. 3 days is too many for me - even if they allowed it, i wouldn't want 3 days off work for that, and wouldn't really want to give up so much of my weekend for it either. But I would love to go back and do it 1-2 days again in future years!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom