OT: Travelers Championship Contest | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Championship Contest

Reaction Score
Hi all,

I know a lot of Boneyarders entered last year's Travelers Champ contest that I put out through my podcast, The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. For those who didn't play - pick 10 golfers from 6 tiers - lowest score wins.

We've got an awesome GHO LocalVyntage shirt up for grabs along with a signed Bubba Watson Travelers hat. Enter at the link below and good luck!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I'm playing fantasy, I'm taking Morikawa every week for the next decade or so. He's going to spend the next 10 years cashing 6 digit checks week in and week out. I don't know if his putting is good enough to win a bunch right now, but he is a green hitting monster. Out of the three youngins who showed up last year or so- Hovlind, Morikawa and Wolff, I am most bullish on Morikawa. By a lot.

Reaction Score
Question: Why does Tiger hate us? He NEVER plays here. Even when his sponsor Buick was hosting, he still skipped us. The GHO had the first African American title sponsor "Sammy Davis Junior GHO." Pioneering African American golfer Charlie Sifford won his first PGA event in Hartford. A lot black history has been made around the place. Yet, Tiger never considers coming. Anyone know why? I know there are no crowds this week, but I'm sure the galleries would be ga ga over Tiger. What's the deal? No one seems to know why he has played virtually every PGA event but no GHO.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I live a mile as the crow flies from the golf course and am sad to miss it this year.
The energy in the surrounding neighborhoods is really cool.
My favorite part of this week is going to whatever random rock and roll touring band they bring in for Friday or Saturday night when the round ends. So much fun hanging with friends and getting krunked.
There are a few secret vantage points I may take a walk to with a backpack of beers and a lawn chair to catch a few hours of it this weekened.

Reaction Score
Question: Why does Tiger hate us? He NEVER plays here. Even when his sponsor Buick was hosting, he still skipped us. The GHO had the first African American title sponsor "Sammy Davis Junior GHO." Pioneering African American golfer Charlie Sifford won his first PGA event in Hartford. A lot black history has been made around the place. Yet, Tiger never considers coming. Anyone know why? I know there are no crowds this week, but I'm sure the galleries would be ga ga over Tiger. What's the deal? No one seems to know why he has played virtually every PGA event but no GHO.

If you see his pattern of choices and he's even said it, he prefers the courses where a low score will win. He never liked the shootout courses all that much. I think this may be part of the reason for the Travelers.

Still surprises me he doesn't give it a shot and I actually thought this may be the year. If he's ever gong to definitely play though I'd prefer it not to be this year. I am really looking forward to the crowds if he plays and contends it would be out of control I have no doubt.

Reaction Score
If I'm playing fantasy, I'm taking Morikawa every week for the next decade or so. He's going to spend the next 10 years cashing 6 digit checks week in and week out. I don't know if his putting is good enough to win a bunch right now, but he is a green hitting monster. Out of the three youngins who showed up last year or so- Hovlind, Morikawa and Wolff, I am most bullish on Morikawa. By a lot.

Kids solid and will win a lot. He's only going to get better too.

Too bad the fans aren't there this year, Top 7 players in the world and so many other really good players. The field is the best ever. Should be fun to watch no matter.

Reaction Score
If you see his pattern of choices and he's even said it, he prefers the courses where a low score will win. He never liked the shootout courses all that much. I think this may be part of the reason for the Travelers.

Still surprises me he doesn't give it a shot and I actually thought this may be the year. If he's ever gong to definitely play though I'd prefer it not to be this year. I am really looking forward to the crowds if he plays and contends it would be out of control I have no doubt.
Also, hasn't this tournament had a bad calendar spot relative to the US Open. A lot of top players take off after the majors. I think Tiger is coming back for Jack's tournament, which is fitting

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, hasn't this tournament had a bad calendar spot relative to the US Open. A lot of top players take off after the majors. I think Tiger is coming back for Jack's tournament, which is fitting

Yes, Tiger has set his schedule around the majors, WGC, Ryder/President's Cup and a few other tourneys for the past 20 years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, hasn't this tournament had a bad calendar spot relative to the US Open. A lot of top players take off after the majors.
The Travelers has had strong fields for many years now. They've turned the "bad" calendar spot into an asset. It routinely ranks high on the list of players' favorite events. All done without Tiger.

Reaction Score
The Travelers has had strong fields for many years now. They've turned the "bad" calendar spot into an asset. It routinely ranks high on the list of players' favorite events. All done without Tiger.

They've had decent fields but not too many "strong" fields. Good news is when they have an east coast or Metro area Open they will get their impact players for the most part. Definitely the bad calendar spot hurts the consistency. It's important for them to get "name" winners to attract their friends and bring more respect.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You are 100% correct, but stop giving people help. Causal golf fans have no clue about these guys.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Once play starts Thursday AM and I have all the responses collected I'll share a link to a Google Spreadsheet with a leaderboard
I had Berger and just had to re-enter because of his WD. Will my first entry automatically be gone, and my new one be entered in its place?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I never miss a year, and frankly, it doesn't bother me that he doesn't come. Nothing worse than paying more for everything and having to deal with a massive crowd of causals just to see Tiger. It's already packed - can you imagine the scene if he shows? If you want to see Tiger there's usually a US Open in the Northeast and the Northern Trust rotates between NYC/Boston area - it's part of the FedEx Cup.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They've had decent fields but not too many "strong" fields. Good news is when they have an east coast or Metro area Open they will get their impact players for the most part. Definitely the bad calendar spot hurts the consistency. It's important for them to get "name" winners to attract their friends and bring more respect.

A couple of things really helped the Travelers turn it around on the tour calendar. First, they had chartered flights for the players when the US Open was on the west coast to ease logistics of getting back east. Secondly, they really upgraded the practice facility for the players. After getting clubbed for 36 or 72 holes at the US Open TPC River Highlands is a great place to get your confidence back and work on some parts of your game exposed at the Open.

Reaction Score
I had Berger and just had to re-enter because of his WD. Will my first entry automatically be gone, and my new one be entered in its place?

Yes, I'll go with the new one. Emailed anyone who had Berger with the option to replace him.

Reaction Score
A lot of people involved with the tour consider it the best non-major tour event.
Who says this? I find this statement hard to believe. Better than the Players, Memorial, Arnold Palmer Invitational, Phoenix Waste Management, Wells Fargo?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Who says this? I find this statement hard to believe. Better than the Players, Memorial, Arnold Palmer Invitational, Phoenix Waste Management, Wells Fargo?
The players have voted the Travelers their favorite stop on tour in past years. As someone who attends various PGA Tour events, I'd say the same as a spectator.

One of the big reasons players like it is the tournament staff and volunteers do a phenomenal job taking care of WAGS and kids. Players love it when they know their families are being treated well at the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom