Transitioning Notre Dame Needs To Move Before Realignment Stops | The Boneyard

Transitioning Notre Dame Needs To Move Before Realignment Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one thinking that if the BE survives the B12 poaching of WV, the BE is the most likely conference to get an all in with ND.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one thinking that if the BE survives the B12 poaching of WV, the BE is the most likely conference to get an all in with ND.

A Big East with Pitt, Syracuse and WVU would have been a long shot.

No way does Notre Dame align themselves with Houston, Central Florida, Temple, and the rest of the usual suspects, etc.

Reaction Score
A Big East with Pitt, Syracuse and WVU would have been a long shot.

No way does Notre Dame align themselves with Houston, Central Florida, Temple, and the rest of the usual suspects, etc.

This. It's possible, if ND joins a Big East division of a 16 team ACC, they will wish they just joined the Big East a year ago. Easier to get to the BCS (same round robin but no championship game) and basketball games in northern urban centers instead of the south. But that horse has left the barn.

Reaction Score
It will never happen but think about it for a second. a 12 team Big East with 2 divisions means you could have Notre Dame play as little as 5 league games with a championship game to decide the BCS contender. They could keep their national schedule and you could even tell them they can keep those extra games as part of a Notre Dame contract. I mean it's a crappy deal for the Big East but it's the only way Notre Dame will ever see another BCS bowl. This would get them into the New York /New Jersey market twice and 3 other markets plus the national schedule. They dont have to like the western teams they dont even have to play them until the league championship game

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My rational isn't about any teams past or future. It's about the upcoming contract for the BE and whether NBC wants to get involved on a larger scale with college sports. A BE with WV, ND and Boise State for football would be a conference that can successfully compete against the ACC for viewership. If NBC is seriously looking for content on Versus, they can offer the type of contract that would be attractive to the BE and Notre Dame and combine them to keep the BE viable.

And the way things work with everyone feeling cheated if they perceive the other guy is getting more, if I was NBC I would offer the BE more than the ACC, just to get the other conferences to pressure ESPN for a raise. This would do one of two things. Either it could squeeze ESPN's margins or it could create disatisfaction with ESPN by certain conferences that they may set out to reconfigure themselves to get out of their contract leaving the door open for NBC to take one or two of them.

Again all of this is based on whether NBC wants to be a bigger player in college sports and if they want to be aggressive in going toe to toe with ESPN.

Reaction Score
This. It's possible, if ND joins a Big East division of a 16 team ACC, they will wish they just joined the Big East a year ago. Easier to get to the BCS (same round robin but no championship game) and basketball games in northern urban centers instead of the south.

Exactly the point I've made as well. If they accept the ACC now, everyone will say they made a HUGE blunder in not going to the big east 6 months ago. How could the prez/AD survive that?

ND is not going to the ACC in all sports this year. Mark it down.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's really no point in arguing about ND and their conference affiliation.

They are only joining a conference if there is a playoff in college football and spots are reserved for winners of so called super-conferences.

The idea that anything (outside of the above) forces the hand of one of the most prestigious and notable names in all of sports is absurd. ND doesn't make decisions based on the availability of men's crew or womens field hockey.

If it was about money, they would have joined the Big10 already. Freaking Minnesota makes more money off the Big10 TV contract then ND makes from NBC. ND is the exception to the rule - It's not about money with them.

The idea that ND "needs" anything from anybody when it comes to college football is so incredibly false. ND calls the shots, not the other way around.

College football is ND's world and we're all just squirrels trying to find a nut.

In conclusion, F ND and their refusal to join/save the BE!

Reaction Score
A BE with WV, ND and Boise State for football would be a conference that can successfully compete against the ACC for viewership. If NBC is seriously looking for content on Versus, they can offer the type of contract that would be attractive to the BE and Notre Dame and combine them to keep the BE viable.

Why are you including West Virginia when they have announced that they are leaving?

Reaction Score
Exactly the point I've made as well. If they accept the ACC now, everyone will say they made a HUGE blunder in not going to the big east 6 months ago. How could the prez/AD survive that?

They'll survive it. They will just say that was then, this is now.

Reaction Score
I do believe that ND ends up in the B1G. I just don't know when. That school isn't going to change Chicago for Charleston. There's too much at stake for the alumni. And I don't believe that either Pitt or Syracuse justify ND's entrance into the ACC. It just doesn't seem like a good fit (although they obviously have a better chance at a BCS Bowl bid). I think it will come down to a comfort thing, and they will feel more comfortable in the mid-west.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why are you including West Virginia when they have announced that they are leaving?
I believe they will get uninvited to the B12.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

ND is not going to the ACC in all sports this year. Mark it down.

Joining the ACC is not the same as joining the old BE. First of all, MD and BC are in the potential ACC north division. DC and Boston are very desirable markets for ND to play. Second, being affiliated with schools like Duke, NC, Wake, and UVA are little better than WVU, USF, Louisville and Cincy.

The article that was out a week or so ago about ND considering themselves a Northeast school, and being in a division with BC, Md, UConn, Pitt, Cuse and the Virginias, made the most sense to me. These schools have more in common with ND than B10 schools. Plus...they are more likely to make the BCS out of the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom