Transfers are Becoming a Priority and a Risk | The Boneyard

Transfers are Becoming a Priority and a Risk

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The NCAA should have criteria for transfer eligibility, regarding immediate availability. Then all student athletes and coaches would know the risk/reward concerning transfers. There would be no waver applications. There would be no perceived "favoritism". I understand certain student athletes transfer for family situations as well as other "critical" personal reasons. There should be hard and fast rules that say yes/no you are immediately eligible. However, the NCAA likes to have "control" and make decisions based on their own criteria and no one really understands what that criteria is on any given day, school, coach etc etc. All the while, the NCAA is criticized by fans (myself included) and media alike. What little credibility they (NCAA) have is eroded with each "exception" they allow.

Reaction Score
The NCAA should have criteria for transfer eligibility, regarding immediate availability. Then all student athletes and coaches would know the risk/reward concerning transfers. There would be no waver applications. There would be no perceived "favoritism". I understand certain student athletes transfer for family situations as well as other "critical" personal reasons. There should be hard and fast rules that say yes/no you are immediately eligible. However, the NCAA likes to have "control" and make decisions based on their own criteria and no one really understands what that criteria is on any given day, school, coach etc etc. All the while, the NCAA is criticized by fans (myself included) and media alike. What little credibility they (NCAA) have is eroded with each "exception" they allow.
Agree. And why does everyone going to ND get to play immediately? Guard from Stanford reported as immediately eligible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if it leads to upset expectations on the team being transferred into. "I'm going to be the starting two guard next season ... or maybe not?" type stuff.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Agreed. Personally, I'd love to see a bit more "structure" in the NCAA's student athlete transfer policy.
I'd like to see a hard and fast deadline (if they don't already have one) for entering the transfer portal, i.e, 7 calendar days after the date of the NCAA women's Division 1 championship game. This would give coaches losing players notice and ample time to prepare to fill those vacancies, and not get caught "flat-footed" as a result of those transfers.

No transfers (entry into the portal) would be allowed AFTER that date. If a player is unhappy and/or thinking about transferring, they know whether or not they are leaving by then. Transfers can be a good thing for both athlete and coaches if the "hard and fast" rules of transfer are fair and equitable across the board for everyone, i.e, no favoritism.

Granted, it can be problematic when one of your best, or your best player(s) decides to leave, however, do you want a player on your team that no longer wants to be there? Disgruntled/unhappy athletes can move on, and coaches can fill holes immediately on their roster with "experienced" (graduate transfers) players.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree. And why does everyone going to ND get to play immediately? Guard from Stanford reported as immediately eligible.
Based on your prior post, it is obviously because the NCAA wants to stick it to UCONN. :eek:
Three of the last 4 transfers accepted into ND (Lili Thompson, Destinee Walker, and Marta Sniezek) were all graduate transfers and would have been immediately eligible to play regardless of where they transferred to. But don't let that single fact get in the way of a good rant.

Reaction Score
Based on your prior post, it is obviously because the NCAA wants to stick it to UCONN. :eek:
Three of the last 4 transfers accepted into ND (Lili Thompson, Destinee Walker, and Marta Sniezek) were all graduate transfers and would have been immediately eligible to play regardless of where they transferred to. But don't let that single fact get in the way of a good rant.
Thanks, I usually don’t.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

It has been just 1 player, granted a very important player. Honestly everyone should be applying for waivers with the unknown factor. Worst case scenario the player doesnt get immediate eligibility and is in the same position they were before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom