Transfer thread | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It appears at least one and possible all of the LaTech 2016 recruits has/will request release - the school is delaying granting requests until a new coach is named or at least the interim coach gets back from outside the country. Who knows what will happen with the players on the team currently.

I think there is probably more publicity associated with WCBB transfers that previously, and there have been a lot more high profile transfers - partly fueled tobacco road - the UNC debacle and whatever is happening at Duke. Of currently reported transfers Stevens is the only absolute blue chip player. White never got on track in SC and Romeo is a solid starter.

Reaction Score
It appears at least one and possible all of the LaTech 2016 recruits has/will request release - the school is delaying granting requests until a new coach is named or at least the interim coach gets back from outside the country. Who knows what will happen with the players on the team currently.

I think there is probably more publicity associated with WCBB transfers that previously, and there have been a lot more high profile transfers - partly fueled tobacco road - the UNC debacle and whatever is happening at Duke. Of currently reported transfers Stevens is the only absolute blue chip player. White never got on track in SC and Romeo is a solid starter.
The real question is: Will Geno agree with you or will the UConn Coaching staff think any of those available through transfer or in the case of LA tech be desirable for UConn??
Personally there is a BIG out there I would like to see in a Uconn Uniform--but that is ME not Geno!!!

Reaction Score
The real question is: Will Geno agree with you or will the UConn Coaching staff think any of those available through transfer or in the case of LA tech be desirable for UConn??
Personally there is a BIG out there I would like to see in a Uconn Uniform--but that is ME not Geno!!!

Azura Stevens would be just a wonder fit for UConn................I can't imagine Geno and Co wouldn't be interested in her transfering in.............I know that it's kind of a long shot but I just hope she feels the same way

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Thanks for starting this thread.

Interesting info in the Natalie Romeo article. What a horrible experience to have to go through. She and the practice player make it sound like this was a case of entitled and uncoachable players. Still, I would love for people to complain about me and force me to resign if I can get paid over a million dollars for my troubles.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens would be just a wonder fit for UConn......I can't imagine Geno and Co wouldn't be interested in her transfering in...I know that it's kind of a long shot but I just hope she feels the same way

Agreed. I understand Geno's posture on transfers. BUT........If he does not have a "legitimate" post player in the tubes, poised to step into the "on deck" circle, then he may want to seriously consider approaching her to ascertain if there is any interest in her coming to Storrs. Her athletic qualifications are impeccable. She's an experienced blue chip post player looking for a new home. Coming from Duke, her scholastic aptitude will be above reproach. I agree that getting Stevens would be a short term solution to the void the huskies have at the post position, Natalie Butler not withstanding. Think of where UConn would be next year if Butler had not transferred in. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't believe that Geno would reach out to Stevens. Upon request, he may grant her an interview (as he did with Nat).

Should anything come of that, she would still sit out for a year.

Definitely a long shot.

Reaction Score
Thanks for starting this thread.

Interesting info in the Natalie Romeo article. What a horrible experience to have to go through. She and the practice player make it sound like this was a case of entitled and uncoachable players.
We've all heard Geno and CD talk about high school players being more and more entitled and less coachable. As I read the article, I thought, This could have been Geno they're complaining about--expecting them to go all out at practice and benching them if they don't. The difference is that he gets the Big Three and Connie Yori doesn't.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I understand Geno's posture on transfers. BUT...If he does not have a "legitimate" post player in the tubes, poised to step into the "on deck" circle, then he may want to seriously consider approaching her to ascertain if there is any interest in her coming to Storrs. Her athletic qualifications are impeccable. She's an experienced blue chip post player looking for a new home. Coming from Duke, her scholastic aptitude will be above reproach. I agree that getting Stevens would be a short term solution to the void the huskies have at the post position, Natalie Butler not withstanding. Think of where UConn would be next year if Butler had not transferred in. :eek:

I appreciate your point .........two years is certainly not as good as four but assuming she landed at UConn, I would think the Huskies would shoot right back up to being the top choice as NCAA championship contenders

Reaction Score
wow - some of you folks are so ready to throw Natalie Butler under the bus (with regard to Stevens). I'm sure Auriemma isn't, thankfully. I gotta believe he means it when he says he is looking forward to the challenge of grooming his current roster into a Final Four caliber team in the coming seasons. That would include developing Butler to her fullest potential, much as he did with Steph Dolson. What kind of message does it send to her for him to bring in a high profile "mercenary" as the starting post. The "UConn Way" doesn't strike me as embracing such 'short lease' tactics. Butler, of course, is a transfer herself, but she came aboard with enough eligible seasons (3) for her to develop in the full UConn system. I would think Auriemma would show some commitment to her. She's no Azurra Stevens, but she is the one Auriemma brought to the dance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - I would bet that one of the coaches has at least made a call to her HS or AAU coach or someone with a direct connection to her, just to get 'interested' into her ear. I believe the same happened with Natalie. I agree that they are certainly not 'recruiting' any transfers, and I don't think many coaches do. You let them know your school is a possibility and let them decide if they want to pursue it. I suspect that is what happened with the grad who went to SC last year (if the report of Uconn interest was true.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
wow - some of you folks are so ready to throw Natalie Butler under the bus (with regard to Stevens). I'm sure Auriemma isn't, thankfully. I gotta believe he means it when he says he is looking forward to the challenge of grooming his current roster into a Final Four caliber team in the coming seasons. That would include developing Butler to her fullest potential, much as he did with Steph Dolson. What kind of message does it send to her for him to bring in a high profile "mercenary" as the starting post. The "UConn Way" doesn't strike me as embracing such 'short lease' tactics. Butler, of course, is a transfer herself, but she came aboard with enough eligible seasons (3) for her to develop in the full UConn system. I would think Auriemma would show some commitment to her. She's no Azurra Stevens, but she is the one Auriemma brought to the dance.
Stevens would only play one year with Natalie with the transfer rules - it is not a vote of no confidence, but a succession plan albeit a one year succession plan. She is a great player, who wouldn't listen if she wanted to come to their school regardless of who else is on the roster.

Reaction Score
We've all heard Geno and CD talk about high school players being more and more entitled and less coachable. As I read the article, I thought, This could have been Geno they're complaining about--expecting them to go all out at practice and benching them if they don't. The difference is that he gets the Big Three and Connie Yori doesn't.
Hey Samanthabrown3 - You nailed it. In addition, the press also has complaints against Geno and some might say his negative motivation methods are questionable. Also, his repetitive drills could be brought up for discussion. Geno saw the handwriting on the wall years ago. Geno & CD stated many times that there are less and less recruits that fill the complete list of UConn requirements. IMHO that is why Geno dipped down into a lower level of recruit (not top 25) and knew that Kyla Irwin and Bent were the perfect fit for UConn. The mental and emotional traits come first---then the BBIQ - then the skills. The first two are much more difficult to cultivate. Skills like shooting, passing, and defense can be improved over the years.
The WBB season is very long, lots of travel, and much more intense than the past. I saw signs of mental and emotional fatigue in ND, Maryland, & South Carolina. The fight was not evident. Baylor seemed ready to fight another few games, but was surprised by OSU. Of course, UConn has been there so many times they have the formula and the system. Diana stated that Geno knew the last month of the season was when he took his foot off the accelerator. She said he was more positive and worked on players confidence. Many coaches go the route of "more intense and harder practices." Whose to say what's best? Each team is different and Geno knows his team and what works.
Final thought - Most of the BY posters believe that there are 10 teams out there that are loading up with top talent and will be dangerous. I also see the talent streaming onto the elite 10 team rosters. The real question is--Can the coaches of those loaded teams put the ingredients together for an excellent result? We all will be watching closely.

Reaction Score

Ummm, I am missing something? How would Geno accepting a transfer low post player be a betrayal to Butler?

Geno has always been very clear the primary goal is putting best possible UConn basketball team on the court. If Geno deems bringing in a player like Stevens improves UConn's overall team performance then that is what he will do. IMO Geno has generally resisted transfers because of the potential impact on the team dynamic and less because of loyalty to existing players.

I have no doubt Geno will continue to develop Butler and I do not think he is writing her off regardless of who else comes to UConn. Geno is loyal to his players but he is not obligated to withhold recruiting additional players to preserve existing player's playing time. That is not the UConn way.

Butler may be the future. But UConn cannot stop recruiting based on some fictitious moral obligation to limit competition. All Geno owes Butler is his best efforts to develop her skill set and put her in the best situation to succeed. Competition is the nature of sports.

Reaction Score

I happen to think that Butler will be a much improved player next season but that doesn't preclude my interest in securing Azura Stevens for 2017/2018. If you look at most of the top teams heading into next season, they each have a minimum of three post players on their rosters that will get some playing time. UConn will have just one true post player and will be seriously undersized against much of their better competition. I realize that Geno is a master tactician and will figure out ways to nullify this size advantage but it would sure be nice to have prove 6'4' big who can play inside and out..........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stevens would be a great fit for UCONN. High quality kid with a high motor who wants to be great. Duke was not the right place for her for so many reasons. We will see where she goes soon enough...

I'm not sure about White - I don't know enough about her effort and desire to know if she'd be a good fit. I don't recall if there was any mutual interest when she was in high school. But I think it's clear UCONN is very eager to look for some post players. If they don't land one in 2017, or find a transfer, I would actually say they will be almost desperate for one in 2018.

Reaction Score
As mentioned in an earlier thread, the South Carolina boards believe that Dawn's coaching up Steven's last summer gives her a big advantage..........that could very well be where she lands but I do hope that UConn takes a shot at recruiting her.....I sure wouldn't want to see her paired with A'ja Wilson even if it's just for one year.....

Saw this clip on one of the SC sites:

https://www.facebook.com/FOXSportsSo...3411427837263/

Reaction Score
I happen to think that Butler will be a much improved player next season but that doesn't preclude my interest in securing Azura Stevens for 2017/2018. If you look at most of the top teams heading into next season, they each have a minimum of three post players on their rosters that will get some playing time. UConn will have just one true post player and will be seriously undersized against much of their better competition. I realize that Geno is a master tactician and will figure out ways to nullify this size advantage but it would sure be nice to have prove 6'4' big who can play inside and out.....

...and I get this. This is a thread about current transfers, and it's tempting to speculate having one of the better available transfers on the local team - particularly at a roster position currently deemed a weak link. As a poster mentioned above (and something I hadn't considered), Stevens would be ineligible for a year anyway, giving Butler opportunity to establish a stronger presence in the lineup for at least a season. Still, one of my pleasures in following the UConn women is watching individual players grow and ascend in talent and skill over their college tenure. It would be different having an established star join the roster (sorta like signing a free agent in the pros). But it would be exciting in the short term, no doubt.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stevens would only play one year with Natalie with the transfer rules - it is not a vote of no confidence, but a succession plan albeit a one year succession plan. She is a great player, who wouldn't listen if she wanted to come to their school regardless of who else is on the roster.

Thank you Uc, my point exactly!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer tweeted 1 hour ago that she will be enrolling at Michigan State

That's big news. A good pick-up for MSU, which needs help after the departure of Aerial Powers.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I understand Geno's posture on transfers. BUT...If he does not have a "legitimate" post player in the tubes, poised to step into the "on deck" circle, then he may want to seriously consider approaching her to ascertain if there is any interest in her coming to Storrs. Her athletic qualifications are impeccable. She's an experienced blue chip post player looking for a new home. Coming from Duke, her scholastic aptitude will be above reproach. I agree that getting Stevens would be a short term solution to the void the huskies have at the post position, Natalie Butler not withstanding. Think of where UConn would be next year if Butler had not transferred in. :eek:
I agree with all you say---
The Blue miss Azure--(blue like sad)--has a few questions/details to answer before Uconn could request her services;
1. Coming from her previous (unnamed) school--she probably has some non Uconn habits, or practice assumptions to overcome
2. Is she coachable at Div 1 level, i.e., can she run full out for over 50 minutes and smile while doing it?
3. Has she ever had an attitude problem, thought the world revolved around herself, does she think her teammates are the best in the world--and will take a charge for them???
4. Does winning a Conference title and then a sweet 16, Elite 8, final 4, National Championship while being named MVP of the Games -interest her to the point of working 8 months non stop??

If she can answer these truthfully, negative or positively, (even a negative answer if honest is good) I'd give her a shot---unless she loses 7 inches in the transfer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom