Transfer portal (2 choices) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal (2 choices)

Do you like the transfer portal or not

Votes: 130 77.8%
  • Dislike

Votes: 37 22.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
If we can't get 5 star high schoolers as good as SC, we'll feast off of overlooked guys looking to play on center stage. Generally, I hate the portal and everything about it....except for the national titles it brings us. :)

Reaction Score
Like it but dislike the rules
It’s chaos right now
Loved the idea that on ur 2nd transfer u had to sit a year
I think the new possible rule of grades factoring in will help a little bit but not enough
It’s good to see they’re trying to regulate it

Reaction Score
It doesn't effect midmajors more than anyone else. If anything it creates greater opportunity, since you only need 7-8 guys to be really good. Harvard, Stanford, Yale, could a make a couple calls to alumni and buy the best players in the game and no one could do a damn thing about it. Stop being afraid of change.

Reaction Score
It doesn't effect midmajors more than anyone else. If anything it creates greater opportunity, since you only need 7-8 guys to be really good. Harvard, Stanford, Yale, could a make a couple calls to alumni and buy the best players in the game and no one could do a damn thing about it. Stop being afraid of change.
Do Ivy League schools participate in NIL? Thinking they may not. After all, I believe they don’t even give out athletic scholarships.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Like it because it’s a good place to find diamonds in the rough if you have an eye for it (like Danny, Kimani and Luke) but absolutely should not be open before the end of the tourney. Not sure how you discourage the serial transfers who go to 4 schools in 4 years either. Maybe you get one or two free transfers, then the next ones you have to sit for a year.

Reaction Score
So let them transfer and . . . sit out a year like in the old days. Most likely will have a chilling effect on transferring. Just saying.
You going to make coaches sit out a year too before changing jobs? You going to guarantee a kid their scholarship for 4 years regardless of performance?

Reaction Score
They were always getting paid. It was called a full college scholarship - probably worth over 175K. What college student wouldn't appreciate that.
All of the college basketball players who decided that wasn't enough. And the market was willing to pay them more so it was objectively not fair value

Reaction Score
Do Ivy League schools participate in NIL? Thinking they may not. After all, I believe they don’t even give out athletic scholarships.
I don't even know. Ivies are their own little world. My point is simply that market fundamentals have changed, for the better and more equitable, proceed at your own peril.

Reaction Score
I dislike it. I think it is immensely bad for college basketball. Fortunately, Hurley has figured out how to use it to our advantage. I'm glad of that but it doesn't change my opinion of the portal in general.
Why is it bad? Why should players be trapped at a university they don’t like, or trapped in a program where they don’t get a chance to play. Why shouldn’t a player who everybody overlooked in high school not have a chance to prove themselves at a mid major and get a chance to go to a big time program and show they belong? Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer are the best thing happening in college basketball. They were written off as losers and nobodies coming out of high school and they got the chance to show they are on par with the best players in America. The portal is glorious.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like it overall. I actually think it puts an even higher premium on coaching. You're gonna have lots of kids in it for the cash grab, but also a bunch of kids who enter because they really do want to improve both their game and pro potential. And each year a few of those guys will eclipse some cash grab guys for the limited seats at the pro table.

Reaction Score
I'm completely in favor of it with one caveat.... I think there has to be an academic progress component... this is still college after all even if it feels like a minor league. If you are two time transfer and transferring your credits makes you an academic sophomore or even still a freshman, I don't think you should be able to transfer.

Reaction Score
I'm completely in favor of it with one caveat.... I think there has to be an academic progress component... this is still college after all even if it feels like a minor league. If you are two time transfer and transferring your credits makes you an academic sophomore or even still a freshman, I don't think you should be able to transfer.
That's basically what the new rule that was passed says

Reaction Score
It’s good for players except the ones who get bad advice, transfer and then miss out on a D1 scholarship altogether. I feel like no one has reported on this much. It’s happening. Need an E60 documentary on it.

Reaction Score
I'm all for the kids getting paid but even pros aren't really free to jump teams every year. Perhaps you make a rule where a single school is only allowed say 2 transfers in per year max, or perhaps you make a rule where each non senior player that comes into a school, transfer or recruit, counts as a scholarship player for 2 years even if the kid leaves after one. On the player side, set a max for the number of times he can transfer. What's happening now will ruin the sport by making the big, rich schools the only ones with chances for sustained success. Parity is what keeps things interesting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why is it bad? Why should players be trapped at a university they don’t like, or trapped in a program where they don’t get a chance to play. Why shouldn’t a player who everybody overlooked in high school not have a chance to prove themselves at a mid major and get a chance to go to a big time program and show they belong? Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer are the best thing happening in college basketball. They were written off as losers and nobodies coming out of high school and they got the chance to show they are on par with the best players in America. The portal is glorious.
As I noted above coupled with NIL it has created de facto free agency for college players. When we're saying that "player x" he's getting $1.2 million to transfer to "school y", we've essentially admitted that college athletics is a semipro league. Right now we are being insulated by the fact that Hurley has rapidly adjusted and has become adept at using the system, but, eventually I think it will dampen peoples enthusiasm for college athletics.

The notion that this is a great boon for the athletes is myopic one. Yes the kids at the very top of the sport are getting huge amounts of money dumped on them while they are in college, but that ignores the dark underbelly of the portal, in which kids give up their scholarship, enter the portal, and don't get picked up. They are just out of luck and their college dream has ended for those of them who lack the resources to pay for themselves.

Now, I'm sure someone will say there has always been under the table payments in college athletics. I am sure that's true, but that was constrained by fear of sanction. Now it's not and it has jumped up to astronomical amounts. Remember when we used to talk disparagingly about programs giving kids "a bag"? Now, having "a bag" is a measure of praise for university.

As I noted above I am enjoying our run. Amazingly, Hurley and staff have managed to both be able to compensate quality athletes through the outside NIL programs and still emphasize the uniqueness of the experience at Connecticut. He has, somewhat uniquely, managed to maintain both the "we" and the "me" aspects of college basketball as it currently exists. That is an extraordinarily difficult thing to do and I find his management of it amazingly impressive. I'm not sure every coach will be able to do that. I'm not even sure that he can do it indefinitely.

Reaction Score
This is a joke for UConn fans right?

In the portal era so far we won two championships with huge contributions from an eventual All American pg we grab, a lights out shooter last year and a psycho floor general sniper this past one. We may not win either or both without them.

As a program we should be thanking the NCAA for the mess that is the portal every day.

Reaction Score
It’s the morally right thing but ruins any chance for lesser programs to compete at a high level.
It is crushing schools in "lesser" conferences already and that will only increase as time goes on.
They are becoming minor league feeders for the big programs to harvest and that will eventually mean the loss of major upsets and the charm of the tournament that created so many great stories. And, Tom Izzo will eventually get his wish that the automatic bids be taken away from the "lesser" conferences.

Reaction Score
Love the portal.

Don't care whether it helps UConn, or helps small schools/mid-majors, or promotes parity, or hinders parity, or any of the other supposed impacts cited here.

The players should have complete freedom to play for any school they desire, completely unfettered by the whims of any martinet coach or the NCAA. We should be on the side of labor, always.

The notion that this is a great boon for the athletes is myopic one. Yes the kids at the very top of the sport are getting huge amounts of money dumped on them while they are in college, but that ignores the dark underbelly of the portal, in which kids give up their scholarship, enter the portal, and don't get picked up. They are just out of luck and their college dream has ended for those of them who lack the resources to pay for themselves.

Yes, this has happened to some players and it's unfortunate. But the players are still better off having complete freedom. We should not be thinking about ending the portal and restricting player movement just because a few players shoot their own dicks off.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love the portal.

Don't care whether it helps UConn, or helps small schools/mid-majors, or promotes parity, or hinders parity, or any of the other supposed impacts cited here.

The players should have complete freedom to play for any school they desire, completely unfettered by the whims of any martinet coach or the NCAA. We should be on the side of labor, always.

Yes, this has happened to some players and it's unfortunate. But the players are still better off having complete freedom. We should not be thinking about ending the portal and restricting player movement just because a few players shoot their own dicks off.
It's kind of the opposite. Sure, a few guys are getting payday, but a whole lotta kids are getting kicked to the curb. Which is fine, from a Darwinistic point of view, but when people say "oh this is benefiting athletes" they're either being disingenuous, naïve, or are under informed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom