Tranghese talks about the break-up of the Big East | The Boneyard

Tranghese talks about the break-up of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A. It was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. But in my mind it was really probably over a year ago when Syracuse and Pittsburgh left. Having said that, I think the group of Catholic schools can be successful. I do feel sorry for the people they left behind. They are going to have a tough time of it. A school like Connecticut which has seven national championships in women's basketball and three in men's basketball is pretty much in limbo.

LINK

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think the seeds of distruction were sewn at the very inception of the league though no one can be blaimed for not forecasting the incredible increase in TV money derived from 24 hr sports networks and college football. It was a league that was unified on men's basketball and always unstable because of the tension with D1 football schools. (This is the reason everyone sees the ACC as being the weak link of the remaining 5 conferences as the driving force there remains MBB)

Reaction Score
He held the league together when they should have split in 2004.

But he did his job, he protected PC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Was hoping Mike would regale us with the story of how he leveraged ND to join in FB to give the league it's anchor franchise. Or, at least the time he sent a note in study hall to Jack Swarbrick asking him to the Sadie Hawkins Dance.

Did anyone of these guys do a single.proactive thing during there tenure?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What is everyone's "best case" scenario for UConn in the next 2 years? How about the most pessimistic? And the most realistic?

I'm very curious to see how this all plays out, not necessarily because it will hurt UConn's women short term, but how it will change the teams that come into Storrs and what new areas of the country will get to the see the Huskies' potency.

U

UCONNfan1

Best case scenario - Big 10 or Big 12
Worst case scenario - Stay in what's left of the big east with Cinci, USF, and the other dregs
Most realistic - Honestly, I do think the other conferences aren't done expanding. I'd not be surprised to see the Big 10 poach from the ACC (Va Tech, FSU perhaps)? If that happens, I think it really does open the door for UCONN. But honestly, i could see us being stuck in the NBE forever which would totally suck.

Reaction Score
Best case scenario (at least for me) -- Big 10
Worst case scenario -- I agree, staying in the tattered remains of the Big East and having to play what is basically a third-tier D1 schedule.
Most realistic -- I think the Huskies eventually get absorbed into the ACC, but I'm not sure that we're not revisiting this same conversation in about five years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom