Trail Blazers Sign James Bouknight To An Exhibit-10 Contract | The Boneyard

Trail Blazers Sign James Bouknight To An Exhibit-10 Contract

Reaction Score
good for him. I'd hope he will be a bit more serious about his career. But if not, no worries. He should still be pretty rich.

Reaction Score
good for him. I'd hope he will be a bit more serious about his career. But if not, no worries. He should still be pretty rich.
Rich? No chance. Even if he saved, he has had very little income for a year to live.

He got a windfall, but no way is he set for life. He gonna have to earn. Taxes, agent fees, what he sworn when he was in nba. Unless he moving thrifty, I hope he is able to carve out a career and then rely on something else in his 30s.

Reaction Score
Rich? No chance. Even if he saved, he has had very little income for a year to live.

He got a windfall, but no way is he set for life. He gonna have to earn. Taxes, agent fees, what he sworn when he was in nba. Unless he moving thrifty, I hope he is able to carve out a career and then rely on something else in his 30s.
If this is true

Yes, that is set for life money. I could live on 1/4th of that for life no issue. Is it easy to piss away? Of course, but being even an average amount of careful and you don't have to work a day with that money.

Last edited:

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Good for him - he gets a second, well third really chance. Let's hope he can avoid some immature life choices he made.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If this is true

Yes, that is set for life money. I could live on 1/4th of that for life no issue. Is it easy to piss away? Of course, but being even an average amount of careful and you don't have to work a day with that money.

1. Most players do piss it away
2. Most aren't even close to an average amount of careful

Reaction Score
1. Most players do piss it away
2. Most aren't even close to an average amount of careful
Some players piss it away, and the ones that do are famous for it. Most are, actually, careful enough (and some, like LeBron & KG, are/were notoriously cheap).

Anyway, Bouk made $13 million. He's gonna be fine in terms of money.

Reaction Score
If this is true

Not saying he should be poor and penniless, but a minimum of 50% of that is taken in taxes, insurance, agent fees, etc. Maybe it is up to 60% from what I have heard from other athletes. And most of it isn't a lump sum.

The hardest thing to do is live like you make $5 million a year when in fact, you only make $5 million a year for 4 years of a 40-year working career. His spending should be MUCH LESS than we think. You gotta be a miser IMO, to make it last.

We are looking at $9 million over four years. He has 40 more years of working. Now, let's say, because he is young, he spent half that money on houses, cars, expenses, taking care of fam and living expenses as a pro athlete.

So he should have what, 25% left for saving and investing? That gotta last him 40 years.

Right now, he is making ZERO, G League $40K. He losing money playing in the G League. So unless he watches expenses, he is going to be losing money every year he plays, what is he supposed to do for income when playing days are done? There is no way his income covers his expenses year over year. Not unless he saddles up and lives a middle class lifestyle.

Secondly, I used to work for a person who made millions. Every time we went out to dinner as a team that person would get the bill. Every Time. You think anytime James takes his friends, families out they paying?

Listen, I am not saying have sympathy, but Wall Street bonus people and real estate windfall recipients blow money just as fast.

If Hurley impressed on him to get a budget, and he is disciplined, he is fine. But this isn't Bobby Axe money.

Edit: When I was 22, I would have blown all the money. LOL.

caw

Reaction Score
That is a great spot in terms of there being a road to available time considering how bad the talent is there. Wish him the best.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some players piss it away, and the ones that do are famous for it. Most are, actually, careful enough (and some, like LeBron & KG, are/were notoriously cheap).

Anyway, Bouk made $13 million. He's gonna be fine in terms of money.

Google away for yourself but the links I looked at said more than half essentially go broke, bankrupt or have no meaningful money within two years leaving the league.

I'll leave you to fight the good battle between "most" and "some" if you'd like.

Reaction Score
He's likely going to be waived and signed to the Blazers G-League team. An Exhibit 10 deal means he will get a bonus (up to $75K) if he plays at least 60 days for the affiliated G-League team.

Hope he can figure his stuff out. If he plays well in the G-League wouldn't surprise me if he gets another chance (though the Blazers already have a bunch of young guards).

Reaction Score
Why not go overseas and make more money? His game is electric and would seem to thrive over there in that League with their style.

Reaction Score
Bouk needs a developmentally minded organization to make it in the NBA. If he goes to Europe, he’ll make more money but he probably won’t improve much. He can coast in Europe and stick. He needs to learn not to coast. He also needs to have kicked his “bad habits”.

Reaction Score
Why not go overseas and make more money? His game is electric and would seem to thrive over there in that League with their style.

It's easier to get call-ups midseason if you're in the G-League, plus maybe he just wants to stay in America. Europe isn't going anywhere, my guess is he'll head overseas so he can make more money if he doesn't make it back to the NBA in the next ~2 years.

Reaction Score
Also, Simons is rumored to be on the trade block, too. That could open up minutes for him if he plays his cards right.

Reaction Score

He made $13 million in salary and had a multi year endorsement deal from Nike. He's set for life if he isn't a total with money.

Reaction Score
I hope he has decided to get his act together and not waste the God given talent with which he was blessed.

Reaction Score
Google away for yourself but the links I looked at said more than half essentially go broke, bankrupt or have no meaningful money within two years leaving the league.

I'll leave you to fight the good battle between "most" and "some" if you'd like.
I think this is complicated but
1) most of these studies were down before 2010
2) the NBA has invested a lot of time and resources into educating young players about finances and the right kinds of financial adivsors following these damning studies
3) the culture of the league has evolved and most of them are better with money than they used to be
4) 50% of the league is on a contract right now that pays less than 13 million. There are a lot of minimum guys, 10 days, cup of coffee guys that eat into these stats. He made more money than most will in the league despite only playing 3 years so far.

But he still could have blown the money. We all saw the Doritos in the parking garage with the glock and $100k+ car.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom