Tragedy after the Uconn game | The Boneyard

Tragedy after the Uconn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Damn. Route 3 between IZOD and the Sheraton is a full blown interstate highway with 8 lanes of total traffic and it moves there, 65+ MPH. I understand the issue, though. The Meadowlands Sports complex is designed for cars and is noticeably anti-pedestrian. The only way to walk between the two is to take a 2+ mile hike around the poorly marked service road that parallels Route 3 and has no sidewalks. Go all the way down to the Giants training complex where it goes over Rte 3 and then doubles back to the Sheraton. All of he other roads in the area are highways or highway ramps. It's the only way and not recommended. Should have called the hotel for a shuttle, if available, or called a cab.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I seem to recall a large covered walkway that went back over the highway from the Meadowlands? Is that still there? I remember being herded like cattle into that after Dead shows, so much so that mooing was always widespread among the crowd as the tunnel narrowed, and it echoed off the walls. Is/was that in the same area where this happened?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
I seem to recall a large covered walkway that went back over the highway from the Meadowlands? Is that still there? I remember being herded like cattle into that after Dead shows, so much so that mooing was always widespread among the crowd as the tunnel narrowed, and it echoed off the walls. Is/was that in the same area where this happened?
Iirc that tunnel was just to a parking lot still on the wrong side of Rte 3

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I know the kid personally. From my town in Old Saybrook. We are mourning, thank you all for your thoughts.

Reaction Score
I know the kid personally. From my town in Old Saybrook. We are mourning, thank you all for your thoughts.

Wow great town and thats very sad. Sorry to you and all regarding his loss. Awful news

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Iirc that tunnel was just to a parking lot still on the wrong side of Rte 3

I think you're right.

I'm sorry for your loss. Really a terrible tragedy, and an especially terrible time of year for it. We have some good friends and family in Old Saybrook, all with kids within this range. I'm almost afraid to check in with them, as I'm sure one or more of them are going to know him. So sad.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Horrible stuff, thoughts & prayers to the family & friends.

Reaction Score

The walkway is there; but, it connects the parking lots around MetLife Stadium with those around IZOD and goes over Route 120 that bisects the property. As there is no stadium parking across Route 3, there is no walkway across.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
makes us realize the stuff we worry about is trivial

god give the family and friends strength, I can't even imagine the heartbreak

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - I'm gonna be that guy.

It sucks that someone died but trying to cross 8 lanes of freeway after attending a basketball game where there were probably drinks involved (why else would you try to cross 8 lanes of freeway in the dark - and I've been known to drink but I tend not to try to run across freeways when I do) is just Darwinism at work.

It's not a tragedy, it's stupidity.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

It sucks that someone died but trying to cross 8 lanes of freeway after attending a basketball game where there were probably drinks involved (why else would you try to cross 8 lanes of freeway in the dark - and I've been known to drink but I tend not to try to run across freeways when I do) is just Darwinism at work.

It's kids drinking and acting stupid. We all did incredibly dumb drunken stuff as kids and many of us are lucky we weren't killed doing them. No matter what you call it, it is an absolutely unbearable tragedy of the highest order. I'm going to chalk your comments up to being drunk as you're usually a wonderful poster.

Reaction Score
Geez. So heartbreaking. What a tragedy. how does a family member recover after hearing such awful news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Reaction Score

It's not a tragedy? You sound like a pretty cold person.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, it's a tragedy.

And I'd slow down before attributing it to kids drinking and acting stupid - the kid was 20 and if you've been to Izod, you're not drinking there at 20.

They're kids - the young man who was killed was UVm student.

They simply made a mistake.

Reaction Score

So from your view, there is a certain intelligence threshold somebody has to pass before their death can be considered a tragedy? I think you know your post is ridiculous which is why you prefaced it the way you did.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

drunken stupidity? how ironic

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We treat sports like it is a matter of life and death and than this happens and reminds us what is truly important. Best wishes for the family and the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom