Tournament Basketball is a Passive-Fail Course | The Boneyard

Tournament Basketball is a Passive-Fail Course

Reaction Score
I love the physical toughness we've been showing, and the ability to draw a charge call is absolutely a necessity when a player like SC's Boston will repeatedly ram you, but there is one thing that really concerns me about this team -- we're just too passive, predictable and defensible on offense. I'd like to see a bit more dibble-drive and a bit less passing around the perimter. With the exception of Christyn, it doens't happen very often, and almost never from down the middle.

We also need Paige and Azzi need to stop standing in the wings, offstage, and step up and into the spotlight. Azzie was not named Shooter of the Year, she was Player of the Year. Camping out on the perimeter, hoping for a wide open shot, then throwing passes to the other team is not why she is on the floor. She is there to score the ball, and she has the ability to do it in so many ways. But she doesn't.

And Paige sometimes seems that she is more like a grandmother, making sure everyone gets a second helping of pie, than the best player on the team. If there was ever a time to takeover a game, it was last night, but she didn't do it. If that continues, this team will not have the on-floor leadership it needs to reach its potential.

Our best players need to accept that they are our best players, and that is comes with an obligation. We all love Paige and Azzie, but IMO, the team needs more from them, but not more than they are capable of.

Reaction Score
I love the physical toughness we've been showing, and the ability to draw a charge call is absolutely a necessity when a player like SC's Boston will repeatedly ram you, but there is one thing that really concerns me about this team -- we're just too passive, predictable and defensible on offense. I'd like to see a bit more dibble-drive and a bit less passing around the perimter. With the exception of Christyn, it doens't happen very often, and almost never from down the middle.

We also need Paige and Azzi need to stop standing in the wings, offstage, and step up and into the spotlight. Azzie was not named Shooter of the Year, she was Player of the Year. Camping out on the perimeter, hoping for a wide open shot, then throwing passes to the other team is not why she is on the floor. She is there to score the ball, and she has the ability to do it in so many ways. But she doesn't.

And Paige sometimes seems that she is more like a grandmother, making sure everyone gets a second helping of pie, than the best player on the team. If there was ever a time to takeover a game, it was last night, but she didn't do it. If that continues, this team will not have the on-floor leadership it needs to reach its potential.

Our best players need to accept that they are our best players, and that is comes with an obligation. We all love Paige and Azzie, but IMO, the team needs more from them, but not more than they are capable of.
get your point but IMO not sure Paige is physically able to be that player (which affects her mentally).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I agree. Azzi needs to play like Maya did as a freshman. Fearless. As for Paige, I’m not sure if it’s physical or mental or both, but she doesn’t seem to want to take over games. She’s playing like she’s the new kid in town who is just trying to fit in. After missing 10 weeks of the season I get it, but she’ll need to be the alpha we’re accustomed to if the team is to advance. I’m just not sure she can be that player physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
No way to know about any lingering physical effects of her injury, but I was sure impressed when she refused to let go of the held ball.

Reaction Score
@dogpause Absolutely not attack on you but you took a ton of words to say Geno and CD can no longer coach. The team does what the staff asks for a game plan. I am not going to pick apart your ability to second guess the staff but some things come into focus on a second look.
I will say that Azzi was the leading scorer last night by standing in the wings. A second look will have one realize both Azzi and Paige do this when not being covered defensively. Someone else is being doubled and thus gets the ball to the open shooter.
Both good defenders and all over the place when being covered. Yes Christyn has a great dribble drive to the hoop but she also has the body mass to take the hits that may come.
UCF has a unique style of defense to say the least, glad everyone was able to walk off the court.

Reaction Score

I think there is a-lot of truth in this. The Uconn system stresses perimeter passing more than dribble drives with an emphasis on looking patiently for a very high percentage shot. Against most of the schedule it works well. Because of injuries we had some games where we had great difficulties scoring. That was sometimes because we didn't have a three point threat that really scared opposing coaches. Giving up a three attempt to Nika, Christyn, or Evina is less of a concern than a good look for the bigs down low, so they packed it in and with certain lineups we were quite defensible.

Leaving Paige or Azzi open from 3pt land is entirely different, that is clearly a defensive mistake, and having them opens up opportunities inside. As we face much better defensive teams the open shots for our sharp shooters start to disappear, and when we face the more rare very talented bigs, the high efficiency inside scoring falls off as well. At that point our stars need to be stars and create opportunities for themselves and others.

I think Azzi and Paige in particular can be one on one players, driving to the hoop, pull up mid-range jumpers, and dishing when they draw another defender. Say that produces some 45% two point shots hypothetically. In our normal offense we usually look for 50% or better two point shots, but against very good defenses those aren't there, and against a top ranked team if Azzi and Paige can get mid 40's shots on their own, I say go for it.

Reaction Score
@dogpause Absolutely not attack on you but you took a ton of words to say Geno and CD can no longer coach. The team does what the staff asks for a game plan. I am not going to pick apart your ability to second guess the staff but some things come into focus on a second look.
I will say that Azzi was the leading scorer last night by standing in the wings. A second look will have one realize both Azzi and Paige do this when not being covered defensively. Someone else is being doubled and thus gets the ball to the open shooter.
Both good defenders and all over the place when being covered. Yes Christyn has a great dribble drive to the hoop but she also has the body mass to take the hits that may come.
UCF has a unique style of defense to say the least, glad everyone was able to walk off the court.
Interesting. I didn't feel I was placing any of this on the coaches, and that certainly wasn't my intent. At least not this time. :)

However, I do agree that the circular passing does stem from the offensive philosphy and system implemented by the coaches. At time it's like watching a roullette wheel.

To be clear, my opinion is that the passivity I referred to rests on the players shoulders, and that Paige and Azzie both need to recognize a need for them to takeover the game when the sittuation calls for it, or when balanced scoring is not getting the job done. UCF is a great defensive team and a very mediocre offensive team. IMO the game would not have been that close had our best players stepped to the forefront.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perimeter passing is fine to get better passing angles, but the other players need to be moving to break down the defense and those perimeter players need to look for the cutters. Maybe they were tired, but it seemed like they were standing around too much on offense in the UCF game so the perimeter passing didn't accomplish much. They probably needed to rest from all the defensive energy they spent. Of course I also hate seeing them telegraph passes to post players as those typically end up as turnovers. Driving into the lane can also be an issue if they don't have a good idea of what they want to accomplish (get up a shot, pass to a cutter, or pass out to an open player)

Reaction Score
Against UCF the foul line area seemed to open up pretty often. Later in the game UConn did a little more stop and pop 10-15' shots. The trick to dribble drive is being aware when the result should be... a) all the way in... b) stop and pop... or c) pass back out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom