Toughness...Recruit or Coach | The Boneyard

Toughness...Recruit or Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mulkey was right. They lost because UCONN was tougher. Collier, Williams, Dangerfield are tough. They don't back down. Size disadvantage....not when you measure heart.
I wonder, Geno has to somehow see this when he recruits. Or does he just teach the ladies toughness?
As I watched I saw Geno really 'emoting' after KLS made a 3. The players didn't hang back like they were being chastened. They nodded like they were being encouraged. It's fun to watch a well coached team.
By the way, I haven't seen Md. or Louisville play. I don't know how 'how tough' they are. ND does not look tough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder, Geno has to somehow see this when he recruits. Or does he just teach the ladies toughness?
I actually don't like when an opposing coach says the other team was " tougher" because it sounds too much like cop out, plus you are really calling your own team soft in a sense. I do like the examples that Kim gave. Paraphrasing: "They (UCONN) dug in got stops, ripped balls away & hit contested shots when the game was on the line. "
Yes Geno does see that competitive toughness in recruit. According to Holly Geno recruited Dolson because every time she got knocked to the floor o she got up and sprinted to the other end of the court. UCONN practices tough and put the players in situations design for them to fail. The results especially lately might be different but ND is doing the exact same thing. So I have to disagree with you, ND players are plenty tough.

Reaction Score
I don't think toughness can actually be taught but it can be encouraged and practiced...............some kids are just wired that way while others simply don't have it in them.................. UConn undoubtedly looks for great skills but also for the proper combination of competitiveness and tenacity...............they seem to be pretty good at it.................

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I know that dragging stuff from other board is usually discouraged, but I found this comment on an LV board right on the money.

"They don't have the height, but they definitely have the talent, nastiness and coaching to be a FF team or even win it all. Look at the way those girls strutted around on the court last night. No fear, no thinking "Oh God, those bi***s are BIG!", no hesitation. They act like they are the , and then back it up with how they play."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Migawd, has oozed over onto the women's board! Arghh!

Reaction Score
Mulkey was right. They lost because UCONN was tougher. Collier, Williams, Dangerfield are tough. They don't back down. Size disadvantage....not when you measure heart.
As I watched I saw Geno really 'emoting' after KLS made a 3. The players didn't hang back like they were being chastened. They nodded like they were being encouraged. It's fun to watch a well coached team.
By the way, I haven't seen Md. or Louisville play. I don't know how 'how tough' they are. ND does not look tough.

Regarding toughness it also comes down to perception. There was a play in the 2nd half Gabby got the ball around 5 feet from the basket took one dribble knocking back Lauren Cox and scoring. Every UCONN fan would expect Gabby to score in that situation. Because she is tough, athletic, and quick.

On the flip side, Mulkey called a timeout and during their huddle she screamed at Cox to "block her shot!" Mulkey's expectation/perception of the game is different than what we would expect. It doesn't matter that Gabby "was tougher" than Cox on that play, we expect her to score when she gets the ball that low on the blocks while Mulkey expects her team to be tough and block the shot.

If she doesn't block the shot, Mulkey looks at it like her player wasn't tough. We expect Gabby to score when she gets the ball down low like that because she is not only tough enough but good enough. Our expectation is that Cox not only got beat by Gabby being tough but also Gabby being quick and a great athlete/more athletic. Kim's perception was that toughness would/should alleviate whatever Gabby had going for her. You can be "Mike Tyosn" and be as tough as you want- but if you give up that position, I would think in our view it is much more than about toughness. Though Kim thinks her player wimped out at the end. Perception.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I actually don't like when an opposing coach says the other team was " tougher" because it sounds too much like cop out.

I think we, the BB community, and other observers, understood exactly what she meant,
surely a compliment, not at all an excuse.

Mental and physical toughness at its best is an admirable quality and UConn displayed it the other night in spades.

OT: the subject above...there is a 5 minute highlight video circulating on the site...And I was amazed how often Ms Dangerfield was in the middle of the best offensive plays, so reminiscent of one of my favs from the recent past. Not always with an assist, but setting the play up and when nothing materialized...oh, well, I'll take the shot.
Wowsa.

A freshman? Good lord.

Reaction Score
Regarding toughness it also comes down to perception. There was a play in the 2nd half Gabby got the ball around 5 feet from the basket took one dribble knocking back Lauren Cox and scoring. Every UCONN fan would expect Gabby to score in that situation. Because she is tough, athletic, and quick.

On the flip side, Mulkey called a timeout and during their huddle she screamed at Cox to "block her shot!" Mulkey's expectation/perception of the game is different than what we would expect. It doesn't matter that Gabby "was tougher" than Cox on that play, we expect her to score when she gets the ball that low on the blocks while Mulkey expects her team to be tough and block the shot.

If she doesn't block the shot, Mulkey looks at it like her player wasn't tough. We expect Gabby to score when she gets the ball down low like that because she is not only tough enough but good enough. Our expectation is that Cox not only got beat by Gabby being tough but also Gabby being quick and a great athlete/more athletic. Kim's perception was that toughness would/should alleviate whatever Gabby had going for her. You can be "Mike Tyosn" and be as tough as you want- but if you give up that position, I would think in our view it is much more than about toughness. Though Kim thinks her player wimped out at the end. Perception.

How long will it be before Cox really knows the mistake she made?
Toughness isn't about size, or high or low levels of intelligence, it's all about heart.
On the Uconn team of the past Barbara Turner--and Shea Ralph--tough. Neither would accept a loss.
Dukes Bales was --I guess 6 or 7 inches taller and 30 pound heavier than BT --and BT scored on her time after time--and took rebound from her. BT express she was called--look up tough lady BB player--you'll see her picture.
Shea and Svet teamed up to play guys--and usually won--2 tough cookies.

Reaction Score
How long will it be before Cox really knows the mistake she made?
Toughness isn't about size, or high or low levels of intelligence, it's all about heart.
On the Uconn team of the past Barbara Turner--and Shea Ralph--tough. Neither would accept a loss.
Dukes Bales was --I guess 6 or 7 inches taller and 30 pound heavier than BT --and BT scored on her time after time--and took rebound from her. BT express she was called--look up tough lady BB player--you'll see her picture.
Shea and Svet teamed up to play guys--and usually won--2 tough cookies.

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.

I don't know about Cox. But I know about Gabby. She gets the ball 5 feet from the basket, I don't expect a blocked shot which apparently Mulkey did. I expect Gabby to score unless there is a prolific athlete or very tall shot blocker. .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well first, after that 3 Geno was really upset that they didn't run their offense. He thought the shot was taken too quickly. Throughout the game their offense often looked disorganized with the team unable to get entry passes or move themselves or the ball quickly and precisely.

As to the question, teams invariably take on the personality of the coach, especially in women's basketball where recruits are there for 4 years. Also yes, coaches recruit personalities as well as talent. ESPECIALLY at The UConn. It's why Geno would offer Molly Bent a scholarship ahead of so many others. And aren't we glad he does?

Reaction Score
It's why Geno would offer Molly Bent a scholarship ahead of so many others. And aren't we glad he does?
I loved that Geno had the 3 freshmen out there together against the number 2 team in the nation, in the first half. Since there probably won't be much garbage time this year, he got them some experience when it wasn't crunch time. While in the game, they didn't allow a Baylor run and seemed to play confidently when on the floor. I think it bodes well for the future when they may have to play more minutes due to fouls or injuries to other players.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.

I don't know about Cox. But I know about Gabby. She gets the ball 5 feet from the basket, I don't expect a blocked shot which apparently Mulkey did. I expect Gabby to score unless there is a prolific athlete or very tall shot blocker. .
lets not get carried away... those shots have also been blocked in the past

Reaction Score
I loved that Geno had the 3 freshmen out there together against the number 2 team in the nation, in the first half. Since there probably won't be much garbage time this year, he got them some experience when it wasn't crunch time. While in the game, they didn't allow a Baylor run and seemed to play confidently when on the floor. I think it bodes well for the future when they may have to play more minutes due to fouls or injuries to other players.
I think there will be plenty of "garbage time" in conference play.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I know what Kim meant by "toughness" but I think we can define it a little better. It's a desire to compete and to win. Its a desire to play at 150% / 100% percent of the time. Its a desire to work on your game when no one else is looking. Its a desire to stretch yourself and go beyond what you think you are capable of.

To paraphrase Lou - "we don't walk on the court to loose."

This team, so far, has shown that they will scrap and fight for the entire game. They will not back down regardless of the opponent.

Reaction Score
lets not get carried away... those shots have also been blocked in the past

What made you think I was saying "Kim is wrong" to think that way? I wasn't.

I mentioned up top with my 1st post it is her perception that the shot SHOULD BE blocked. But not all shots CAN BE blocked, right? In this case that was Kim's "expectation." "BLOCK IT!"
Do you think Geno/Gabby think the shot WOULD BE blocked? For anyone to think that the shot would be blocked then why would UCONN bother to throw the ball inside at all?

That's what she was talking about when it came to toughness. As she said "The offensive rebounds in the 1st half" "UCONN taking the ball out of her player's hands" -- those are things she wasn't expecting. Yet as UCONN fans how long have we said since Collier's 1st few games as a freshman "That she has a nose for the ball."

Kim's expectation was a complete domination in the post-- and if she didn't get it- more than likely it would represent to her a lack of toughness. I'm not saying she is worng. It's her perception/expectation.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What Coach Mulkey calls "toughness," we Boneyarders refer to as "Badass-ness." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom