Toughest matchups | The Boneyard

Toughest matchups

Reaction Score
Based on rankings today, thet top 6 teams are: ND, Baylor, UCONM, MSST, UL, and Ore. Considering all teams what would be the toughest match up for these top teams. My Take,
ND - Baylor or MSST Post players for either team would be hard for ND to handle
Baylor - MSST - so much alike that I would think that game a tossup
UL - ND - ND has got to be hungry for revenge for last year
UCONN - ND, Rivals that both have great teams, game would be tossup I think
Ore - MSST - MSST bigs would be tough for Ore to handle
MSST - Baylor, Ditto from up above

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Based on rankings today, thet top 6 teams are: ND, Baylor, UCONM, MSST, UL, and Ore. Considering all teams what would be the toughest match up for these top teams. My Take,
ND - Baylor or MSST Post players for either team would be hard for ND to handle
Baylor - MSST - so much alike that I would think that game a tossup
UL - ND - ND has got to be hungry for revenge for last year
UCONN - ND, Rivals that both have great teams, game would be tossup I think
Ore - MSST - MSST bigs would be tough for Ore to handle
MSST - Baylor, Ditto from up above

Interesting idea. So I can tell by your match-ups that you are not basing this on a team's schedule but rather on hypothetical meetings.

My takes:

For Notre Dame, the hardest match-up would be UConn. I think that they are the toughest match-up for each other because they have a very similar offensive philosophy and they know each other SO well. I'm sure that's the game that gets each coach most excited. They respect each other's abilities very much and recruit the same types of players (although UConn does a much better job at getting their signatures). Notre Dame has done very well vs. Baylor since Griner left, so I don't think a Baylor game is as intimidating as a UConn game. As for Miss St., I think they'll be very good this season, but probably not as good as last season (loss of Vivians, along with 3 other starters), and I think the Irish should be better.

For Baylor, their nightmare would be UConn. UConn lacks length, but has done very well against Baylor in the past. When is the last time Kim beat Geno without Griner? I think Geno and his staff are far better at designing game plans than Kim's staff.

For Louisville, they are probably excited to play ND because they want to prove that last season wasn't a fluke, but prior to last season, the Cardinals never really played Notre Dame very close. I think the match-up they fear the most is UConn, because Geno owns Jeff. I think the Cards lose both of those games this season, but that would be nothing to feel too bad about, as I think UConn and Notre Dame are the top 2 teams this season.

For UConn, it's Notre Dame, as I stated above. Both schools toughest match-up is each other, but neither school would want to remove that game from their schedules. And WCB is better (and grateful) for it.

Oregon lacks size, so I can see why you would think that their toughest match-up would be a team with exceptional size, such as Baylor or Miss. St. But I think it would be UConn or ND. ND has better post play (I believe), as Hebard and Shepard cancel each other out but now Turner joins the party. Plus this year Notre Dame can play defense in the first half as well as the second. UConn defense would be very tough for Ionescu to crack. Unless you are used to facing it, it is extremely difficult to execute against. Both teams lack depth, so one of UConn's two weakness (short rotation) is cancelled out. (UConn's other weakness is length, but Oregon is not tall either, as Sabally is not really a rebounder or shot blocker, despite her height).

Miss. St.'s worst match-up would probably be UConn or Notre Dame as well. I hate to be boring or repetitive, but that's just what I feel. Last season Miss St. had experienced guard play and this year is more of a mystery in that regard. Their front court could be amazing though, if Howard and McCowan mesh well, which I believe they will, as I have faith in Schaefer's coaching ability..

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Interesting idea. So I can tell by your match-ups that you are not basing this on a team's schedule but rather on hypothetical meetings.

My takes:

For Notre Dame, the hardest match-up would be UConn. I think that they are the toughest match-up for each other because they have a very similar offensive philosophy and they know each other SO well. I'm sure that's the game that gets each coach most excited. They respect each other's abilities very much and recruit the same types of players (although UConn does a much better job at getting their signatures). Notre Dame has done very well vs. Baylor since Griner left, so I don't think a Baylor game is as intimidating as a UConn game. As for Miss St., I think they'll be very good this season, but probably not as good as last season (loss of Vivians, along with 3 other starters), and I think the Irish should be better.

For Baylor, their nightmare would be UConn. UConn lacks length, but has done very well against Baylor in the past. When is the last time Kim beat Geno without Griner? I think Geno and his staff are far better at designing game plans than Kim's staff.

For Louisville, they are probably excited to play ND because they want to prove that last season wasn't a fluke, but prior to last season, the Cardinals never really played Notre Dame very close. I think the match-up they fear the most is UConn, because Geno owns Jeff. I think the Cards lose both of those games this season, but that would be nothing to feel too bad about, as I think UConn and Notre Dame are the top 2 teams this season.

For UConn, it's Notre Dame, as I stated above. Both schools toughest match-up is each other, but neither school would want to remove that game from their schedules. And WCB is better (and grateful) for it.

Oregon lacks size, so I can see why you would think that their toughest match-up would be a team with exceptional size, such as Baylor or Miss. St. But I think it would be UConn or ND. ND has better post play (I believe), as Hebard and Shepard cancel each other out but now Turner joins the party. Plus this year Notre Dame can play defense in the first half as well as the second. UConn defense would be very tough for Ionescu to crack. Unless you are used to facing it, it is extremely difficult to execute against. Both teams lack depth, so UConn's one of UConn's two weakness (short rotation) is cancelled out. (UConn's other weakness is length, but Oregon is not tall either, as Sabally is not really a rebounder or shot blocker, despite her height).

Miss. St.'s worst match-up would probably be UConn or Notre Dame as well. I hate to be boring or repetitive, but that's just what I feel. Last season Miss St. had experienced guard play and this year is more of a mystery in that regard. Their front court could be amazing though, if Howard and McCowan mesh well, which I believe they will, as I have faith in Schaefer's coaching ability..
Enjoyed your post. Keep'em comin'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom