Tori McCoy has kidney failure. | The Boneyard

Tori McCoy has kidney failure.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Tori! Unfortunately, my kidneys wouldn't pass the test even if she and I were a match.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geesh that's horrible. It feels worse because of her age and because she's Div 1 athlete. I feel for her. Being on dialysis is rough. Hope it goes well for her. Said a prayer for a transplant to become available.

Reaction Score
The good news is: this story should bring forward folks who are willing to donate - not just to Tori but, others too. There is a long waiting list which is more tragic because you don't have to die to give "the gift of life". There ought to be more than enough healthy donors.
Couple years ago, my baby's kidneys gave out (not unexpected as it's a common complication after 40 tears of Type 1 Diabetes). I had always promised her one of mine when the need arose. The Yale program made it very easy on donor and recipient but when a younger donor was found a qualified match (her husband - go 'figger) their decision was simple.
Fortunately, she did not have to endure too long a stint with dialysis - just enough to always appreciate the miracle of modern medical science.
FWIW: Just a few days (4 9r 5??) hospital for both - return to work in a little over a week for him and -maybe 6 weeks for her (She's a medical professional and exposure to infection in the hospital is always a concern).
2 year's on (or is it 3?) a normal life (notwithstanding anti-rejection drugs) continues. Hubby too - the mensch.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The good news is: this story should bring forward folks who are willing to donate - not just to Tori but, others too. There is a long waiting list which is more tragic because you don't have to die to give "the gift of life". There ought to be more than enough healthy donors.
Couple years ago, my baby's kidneys gave out (not unexpected as it's a common complication after 40 tears of Type 1 Diabetes). I had always promised her one of mine when the need arose. The Yale program made it very easy on donor and recipient but when a younger donor was found a qualified match (her husband - go 'figger) their decision was simple.
Fortunately, she did not have to endure too long a stint with dialysis - just enough to always appreciate the miracle of modern medical science.
FWIW: Just a few days (4 9r 5??) hospital for both - return to work in a little over a week for him and -maybe 6 weeks for her (She's a medical professional and exposure to infection in the hospital is always a concern).
2 year's on (or is it 3?) a normal life (notwithstanding anti-rejection drugs) continues. Hubby too - the mensch.
As some know, my wife is on the waiting list for a liver. That said, livers generally come from deceased folks; live partial liver transplants can be done, but there are strict donor requirements and (in any case) my wife's hardware isn't in the right condition to accept a partial transplant.

Thank goodness that technology has advanced to where there is a reasonable expectation that my wife will, in time, receive a liver (it isn't "urgent", she is still functioning if sometimes struggling) and, after a slightly longer recovery than your daughter (but not excessive) will be expected to resume a normal life (not sure if her other issues from the underlying cause of her liver problems will be resolved or not).

Glad your story had a happy ending, prayers for the WBB player, and hopes that many remember to mark themselves a an organ donor for when they won't be needing them anymore.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

The wait time around here 'on the list' is about 5 years. Some folks don't do well in that time. Dialysis, although a life saver, is often referred to as slow death. One of my sons was my donor - going on 2-1/2 years now. He was out of YNHH in 2 days. I was out in 4. A day later we were walking 2 miles at a clip. It truly is the 'gift of life'.

I met Aries Hurdler Merritt Gets Kidney Transplant Four Days After Winning World Champs Bronze | Runner's World and his sister at a Ct Kidney Foundation Awards Dinner. He still competes!

Wishing Tori a great outcome!

Reaction Score
As some know, my wife is on the waiting list for a liver. That said, livers generally come from deceased folks; live partial liver transplants can be done, but there are strict donor requirements and (in any case) my wife's hardware isn't in the right condition to accept a partial transplant.

Thank goodness that technology has advanced to where there is a reasonable expectation that my wife will, in time, receive a liver (it isn't "urgent", she is still functioning if sometimes struggling) and, after a slightly longer recovery than your daughter (but not excessive) will be expected to resume a normal life (not sure if her other issues from the underlying cause of her liver problems will be resolved or not).

Glad your story had a happy ending, prayers for the WBB player, and hopes that many remember to mark themselves a an organ donor for when they won't be needing them anymore.
You and your wife are in my prayers for an early medical remedy. God bless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom