Top high school basketball recruits share their college choices | The Boneyard

Top high school basketball recruits share their college choices

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Premier high school girls' basketball players from around the country sign with elite programs, including Notre Dame, Stanford and Tennessee.

I've often wondered why a player chose to go else where when UConn was recruiting them hard. Why didn't they want to come here? Why wouldn't they want to play for a coach that would make them the best player they can be, and probably win a championship to boot?

UConn has lost many coveted recruits to other programs like Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Stanford, South Carolina, Ohio State and Maryland to name a few. Who knows what goes through the mind of a 17-18 year old as she decides where she's going to spend the next 4 years of her life as a college student-athlete. Why does she choose one program over another? Some top high school class of 2019 basketball recruits (including Jordin Horston) share publicly why they choose the programs they did.

[Link]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
anyone care to summarize? i'm way to adhd to watch a video :) no text = no me waiting to watch a clip.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some players don't want to give up their social media privileges, cover their tattoos, adhere to a dress code or deal with the effort required to play for UConn. Some want to play for a coach who will let them play the way they want to play. There are other reasons.

Reaction Score
The same reason some people choose different brands of laundry detergent—they enjoy what they enjoy. A lot of recruits talk about the connections they made with the coaches at the schools they chose, so I imagine that the personality of the coaching staff and other players influences their decision. Rebecca Lobo said that no one made her laugh like Geno did and she felt like it was easy to talk to him and that was a huge influence on her decision. Besides having access to quality facilities and opportunities (championships, name recognition, WNBA, Olympics, etc.), having a coach that is almost like a family member and being in an environment that fosters growth and healthy team relationships are probably the main reasons recruits choose the colleges they do.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I noticed few if any say they've noted the history of the school when it comes to the treatment of young women, what past graduates say about the coaches, whether they wanted to go to a winning or championship program, and only one mentioned whether they thought this coaching staff could best prepare them for the next level. Any surprise that 17 year old have a problem thinking beyond next week? This is what makes recruits that choose UConn, Notre Dame and Stanford so special, and Fran Belibi a very special young lady indeed.

Reaction Score
Weather
Campus life
General atmosphere

We used to refer to the campus as ‘Night of the Living Dead’, and Hartford isn’t exactly a hip, happening and welcoming city. I spent most of my ‘free’ weekends in Manhattan when I was an undergrad in the late 90s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom