Reaction Score
Fast starts
Kentucky’s Rhyne Howard
UConn’s Christen Williams
Maryland’s Taylor Mikesell and Shakira Austin
I’m sure I’m missing several more but these are the ones who stand out to me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Austin have been terrific in rebounding (10th in the nation) and block shots (2nd in the nation). I wish her FG% was a little better for someone 6'5". Mikesell had a great start but is now moving toward the mean as the juniors and senior players for Maryland begin to assert themselves a little more.

Reaction Score
Freshmen starts go far! At Uconn when a Freshman comes in starts and has big games you can put money in the bank that this kid will be one for the books or ages. I won't today put Christyn Williams in the record books but that trend looks good.

Reaction Score
Nalyssa Smith - Baylor
Shakira Austin - Maryland
Christen Williams - UConn
Taylor Robertson - Oklahoma

The ones that have stuck out to me. That I have actually watched.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sydni Harvey of South Florida is averaging 14.6 ppg and has put up bigger numbers since Laksa's injury. Now if she can only learn to stay out of foul trouble.

Beatriz Jordao, another USF freshman, is also averaging double-figure scoring.

Reaction Score
Shakira Austin probably the best freshman post, but I’ve liked Mississippi State’s Jessika Carter. She averages 7.2 points/6.7 rebounds/3.2 blocks. Those aren’t Shakira Austin numbers, but Shakira Austin also isn’t playing backup to the top center in the nation. She averages 9 minutes less.

Reaction Score
Nalyssa Smith - Baylor
Shakira Austin - Maryland
Christen Williams - UConn
Taylor Robertson - Oklahoma

The ones that have stuck out to me. That I have actually watched.
Nalyssa Smith looks outstanding to me. Watched her play a bit the game she scored high teens and watched their last game. She’s looked like their best post player both of those games. Very athletic and I like her short little baseline jumpshot.

Reaction Score
Nalyssa Smith looks outstanding to me. Watched her play a bit the game she scored high teens and watched their last game. She’s looked like their best post player both of those games. Very athletic and I like her short little baseline jumpshot.

She has been the key player this season. I really think Smith/Cox duo will be deadly next year. I'm excited to see DeCosta come back and see what she can do. The baseline jumper is a money shot for Smith.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She has been the key player this season. I really think Smith/Cox duo will be deadly next year. I'm excited to see DeCosta come back and see what she can do. The baseline jumper is a money shot for Smith.
What's Egbo's status?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Austin have been terrific in rebounding (10th in the nation) and block shots (2nd in the nation). I wish her FG% was a little better for someone 6'5". Mikesell had a great start but is now moving toward the mean as the juniors and senior players for Maryland begin to assert themselves a little more.
Austin still comes off the bench, right?

Reaction Score
What's Egbo's status?

Talented just raw. She is an excellent rebounder and is getting better each game. Missed some easy jumpers and put backs and is lacking on the FT line. With practice and experience she will prosper. I will say not one of the Fab 5 has let me down. They make freshmen mistakes, but that is normal. Can't wait to see them come Feb/March.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A couple more under-the-radar freshmen, both of them currently 2nd in scoring for their team:

Dre'Una Edwards, Utah (12.8 ppg)
Ashley Joens, Iowa State (11.8 ppg)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She's only played in 3 games, must be injured currently. Lexie Hull got off to a nice start for Stanford. Averaging 10.7 pts and 7.0 rebounds, shooting the ball fairly well (40% on 3's, 44% overall), almost 3 steals/game.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Balogun #15 hg starts at F for Ga Tech. You can tell she is definitely going to be an impact player. Seems to play both ends well.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The system they play in makes a big difference. Some of those players would probably not be getting as much playing time at UConn this early in the season, imo. Ono would probably be starting at some of those schools.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Balogun #15 hg starts at F for Ga Tech. You can tell she is definitely going to be an impact player. Seems to play both ends well.
She impressed me in the Jordan Brand game.

Reaction Score
Dre’Una Edwards of Utah plays with an edge unusual for a freshman. She is active around the basket. She’s a nice combination with Huff. Go Utes!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The system they play in makes a big difference. Some of those players would probably not be getting as much playing time at UConn this early in the season, imo. Ono would probably be starting at some of those schools.

I think some coaches trust freshmen more than Geno does and allow them to play through some mistakes early. Different philosophies.

Reaction Score
For the UConn fans, who do you guys think was the best freshman in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen some game stats that show C. Collier doing fairly well. But she’s been somewhat inconsistent. Has anyone seen her play?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For the UConn fans, who do you guys think was the best freshman in a UConn uniform.
At the end of the season, possibly Stewie, the Final Four MOP. Over the course of the whole season, Maya. She was the Big East FOW at least 10 times, breaking Rebecca Lobo's record of 7 weeks. Maya finished 2nd in the AP POY voting as a freshman to Candace Parker. Maya was arguably the best freshman ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom