Top 50 Uconn players - The dumbest thing you'll read all day via theuconnblog | The Boneyard

Top 50 Uconn players - The dumbest thing you'll read all day via theuconnblog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not sure if this was posted yet as I couldn't find it.

It takes something spectacular to get me to link to Bleacher Report, but they've really outdone themselves today, so here you go: A list of UConn's 50 best basketball players that is as hilarious as it is wrong. It is impossibly stupid, don't read it unless you want to get angry.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/908054-uconn-the-top-50-players-in-school-history

Reaction Score
What would you have said had I shown you this page 365 days ago.

Diovqn.png

Reaction Score
Kemba is easily the number 1 spot. But Stanley or Dyson over Jeremy? Really?

Reaction Score
they've really outdone themselves today

You know Bleacher Report is just a site where anyone can create their own personal sports blog, right? It's like blaming Youtube for Youtube videos.

Reaction Score
Kemba is easily the number 1 spot. But Stanley or Dyson over Jeremy? Really?

Yeah wasn't Lamb at 49? And Drummond at 50 before even playing in a regular season game? He at least needs to prove himself first, nothing wrong with leaving him off the list for now then revising it later.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I thought it was a very interesting and well researched read. We could argue at the rankings all day long, but that's missing the point.

Reaction Score
In time I know, but how many games has Drummond played as a Husky? ;)

Not a bad list I'm interested to study it and see who is not listed.

Sorry Kemba and no offense Ray but Okafor would be my choice to anchor any team (i.e. my #1 pick). He was a great one!

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Ray Allen is number 1. Sorry.

Ordinarily NN, I'd agree with you...all day, every day. I have a life sized Ray Allen poster above my desk & most of my posts sing Ray's praises to the rafters, but I have to agree with Bleacher Report. Ray had a supporting cast around him...some pretty AWESOME players in their own right. Kemba's team had Kemba & a bunch of untested kids. It was Kemba's heart, Kemba's talent & Kemba's leadership (& maybe a little of Kemba's cooking) that brought the Championship trophy back to Connecticut. "Kemba & the kids"...one of the greatest teams in UCONN history~!

Reaction Score
Ray Allen never spent a single day out of first place in the Big East in three years. Not one.

Sheffer ahead of Nadav? Nuts! Without Nadav there is no dream season in 1990. He is easily top ten for his impact on the program.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Ray Allen never spent a single day out of first place in the Big East in three years. Not one.

Sheffer ahead of Nadav? Nuts! Without Nadav there is no dream season in 1990. He is easily top ten for his impact on the program.

Not taking anything away from Ray here, Palatine. He was/is the ambassador for UCONN basketball, but he was NEVER the whole team. I think Kemba deserves the #1 spot & for me to take ANYONE ahead of Ray is a great leap (for me personally).

Reaction Score
Kemba got his banner raised to the rafters at the welcome back rally after the national championship, what one day later? That pretty much says it all. He glued that team together, put it on his back and willed a national championship. It may be the greatest team leadership in college BB history.

Reaction Score
Kemba Walker is the only Uconn Men's player in history to play in 2 final fours.
There are arguments either way. I think he unquestionably had the best Husky season ever.

They got the right 4 players in the top 4. I'm not sure I agree with much more. (Other than Taliek over Marcus. Thank you)

I also think it's too early to rank Drummond and Lamb. And I don't know that Stanley or Dyson should be included in the top 50.

Reaction Score
I actually don't have a problem with the top 4..wouldn't have initially thought Ray as outside of the top 3, but I can't argue against the best player on each national championship team.

The problem I have with this article is that it includes current players. It's a moot point to not only put Drummond on the list, but also Lamb and Oriakhi when their careers are so incomplete. It's one thing to rank professional athletes midway through their careers when they have proven themselves, but including college guys whose end result is still up in the air seems pretty pointless.

Reaction Score
Love Kemba but the no help argument doesn't really hold up. Lamb, Oriakhi, and Roscoe were young but extremely talented players, all of who may eventually land on that list.

Kemba had the better single season.

Ray had the better career even without a ring.

Heck, Ray should have won the Wooden award, is there any question he was better than Camby?

Reaction Score
I actually don't have a problem with the top 4..wouldn't have initially thought Ray as outside of the top 3, but I can't argue against the best player on each national championship team.

The problem I have with this article is that it includes current players. It's a moot point to not only put Drummond on the list, but also Lamb and Oriakhi when their careers are so incomplete. It's one thing to rank professional athletes midway through their careers when they have proven themselves, but including college guys whose end result is still up in the air seems pretty pointless.
Which players not on the list would you put ahead of Lamb or Oriakhi? They did help win a national championship.

Reaction Score
Enjoyable read.
My main changes would be:
Dyson and Stan come off the list. Too much left on the table to make the greatest list. The list is "greatest Huskies," not "greatest athletes."
Ricky Moore must be higher.
Andre Drummond cannot be on the list until he plays at least 1 minute of 1 game. Then give him 50.

How about a list of top 10 during Calhoun's era?
Define greatest as "what he did for the program" among other things.

Kemba would be first. Okafor and RIP take two more spots. Donyell Marshall, I'd say. KEA. That's 5 right there.

Reaction Score
Which players not on the list would you put ahead of Lamb or Oriakhi? They did help win a national championship.

You could also potentially end up putting Lamb and AO ahead of several players on this list..maybe dozens, who knows. Or (far less likely) they could suck for the remainder of their time here and not deserve a spot on the list at all. My point is that while they have accomplished a great thing, everyone else on the list has finished their career and can be fairly judged.

It's like declaring whether a president is an all-time great after one year.

Reaction Score
One of the things that bothers me about this list is Ben Gordon at #11... I think he's got to be 6 or 7 (I think everybody's consensus top 5 includes Marshall, Okafor, Rip, Ray, and Kemba in some order)

Reaction Score
You could also potentially end up putting Lamb and AO ahead of several players on this list..maybe dozens, who knows. Or (far less likely) they could suck for the remainder of their time here and not deserve a spot on the list at all. My point is that while they have accomplished a great thing, everyone else on the list has finished their career and can be fairly judged.

It's like declaring whether a president is an all-time great after one year.
You could argue that they've done more in one year than some of the guys higher on the list did in a "full" career at UConn.

If Lamb jumped to the NBA after last year, you wouldn't put him on a top-50 list? I certainly would.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I definitely cannot agree with Kemba at #1. He was only the starting PG for a single season. If you want to say, best season every by a UConn player, I'll give him that. But best play? Ray, Rip, Donyell, Emeka and probably KEH were better over their careers.

Meanwhile a guy like Tim Coles is way too low. Sheffer ahead of Taliek, Ollie, Ricky and Marcus Williams? All of those guys were better than him, at the same position.

Reaction Score
I definitely cannot agree with Kemba at #1. He was only the starting PG for a single season. If you want to say, best season every by a UConn player, I'll give him that. But best play? Ray, Rip, Donyell, Emeka and probably KEH were better over their careers.

Meanwhile a guy like Tim Coles is way too low. Sheffer ahead of Taliek, Ollie, Ricky and Marcus Williams? All of those guys were better than him, at the same position.

Kemba started for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul