Top 50 New Faces who will influence the coming season | The Boneyard

Top 50 New Faces who will influence the coming season

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fun list. Good to see the fresh new faces, and impact transfers, who area the future of WCBB. You can certainly argue that on a list that large, many of the players will only be important to the schools they play for, and won't really make any kind of splash nationally, but still, good for him for doing the research and compiling the list!

Reaction Score
It is usually unclear about the specific criteria for these kind of ratings. The most influence might be someone who starts for a division 1 program that significantly upgrades a previously weak position. For a mediocre team that might have the biggest impact. In terms of impact for women's basketball, a very good player who is a super-sub for a top ranked team, might impact national ratings, championship odds, etc. more than someone who puts up big numbers as a freshman on a team that isn't in the championship hunt.

DT was behind Shea Ralph as a freshman but clearly was beyond influential, as was Gabby on the 2015 championship team, and Napheesa on the 2016 winners. Any freshman who becomes a very good player in the rotation for a ranked team is pretty influential in my book. Natalie Butler was an influential player if not star in her two years she wasn't at Uconn, but only the 8th or 9th player on the 2016 champs. She was sometimes used in games against the top competition and sometimes not.

There are many Uconn alums who did not start their freshman year, but still wound up in the WNBA. They generally were major contributors to a contending team their first year, usually top 6 or 7 players getting significant minutes.

Defining the most influence is difficult to do, but for me making a difference on a team that is already a contender, has more influence on women's basketball than someone becoming the leading scorer on a team with no national significance.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Graham Hays made a list and someone made him attach rankings to it because ranking stories apparently get clicks.

I don't know how one can rank players' impacts on teams as deep as Oregon, when one doesn't know who will be on the floor. So, "why not list most of 'em since we rated them the #1 class in recruiting?"

Sorry, for my skeptical take on this rating exercise.

However, I did like the information on the lists: I had fogotten or not been aware of a lot of these. Stephanie Watts back to UNC? More transfers into Louisville (again)? Ms. England leaving St. John's for FSU?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom