OT: - Top 25 Transfers over last 5 years | The Boneyard

OT: Top 25 Transfers over last 5 years

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Lots of offseason topics saved in my Notes app, however I thought I'd start with this one, as Barker and Dauda were the final two playes from top 25 HS rankings that finally committed. Some of these thoughts were from last year, and I never posted them (I think?), so I updated my thoughts and removed some untimely references, ie, the huge portal movements from this time last year. I give you - Program & Process vs Portal, or, if you prefer, Tradition vs. Transfers.

NOTE - this thread was created after having a bunch of thoughts rolling around my head about how and when coaches use the portal, especially after seeing UCLA/USC make a big splash this year, coaching movements making a significant impact to the portal. It is not intended to discuss specific transfers, who should transfer, etc. Please be careful when using examples, either real or rhetorical. Let’s try to avoid veering off into another discussion of specific players shall we? It’s more about the changing of the process and philosophies of coaches and programs, than the specific stats of any one player, especially now that there’s no rule that players must sit out if they transfer more than once.

In this era of NIL and the transfer portal with the ability to immediately play, will this change the way coaches recruit and coach players? Will some coaches stay true to how they’ve recruited over the course of their career? We’ve seen Geno make the change to recruiting/offering early, however the portal is a whole new universe.

UConn has a rep for preparing players for life after college, whether the WNBA, overseas teams, or other professional opportunities. Not everyone that played at UConn will play professional hoop, as some will decide that another career is a priority. Is this still a big enough draw for players to want to stay for four years? Two way loyalty between the coaches and players is incredibly significant.

From The Athletic article a while back - “… departure really signals something to high mid-major programs: You’re only going to be able to keep your best players for a year or two.” The impact to the mid-majors could be brutal. Look at how well Villanova, Creighton, Marquette in the BE had been doing, so what happened when the best player(s) went elsewhere? The recruiting relationships that those coaches built over years is gone in an instant. The rich may get richer.

Will coaches get a reputation for pillaging other programs and “portalling” over players they spent years recruiting? Will that even matter in this new landscape of college athletics and the NIL? Once you dip into the portal well and optics are less than stellar, there’s no turning back.

With all of that said, the next few posts will show the recruiting classes from 2019 to 2023, with some random stats, In the tables, the gray cells indicate the player is done with college, and the green means they are still active. Here are some initial stats, grouped by 5 to see where the bulk of movement occurred. The 2nd table shows % of transfers within each grouping of 5 (totaling 100%), and the last column shows the same for all 5 years combined.
1717437768074.jpeg

Now onto each class year .... and if I missed any transfers, give me a shout and I'll update my xls file, as I may have lost some updates when my laptop decided to restart.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For the 2019 & 2020 classes, a lot of craziness with the covid extra year, however 2019 was notable for the top 4 players standing pat, and all 4 SC recruits staying. There were 5 & 6 in both these classes respectively that transferred more than once.

1717437901958.jpeg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For 2021 & 2022, both classes have 12 transfers and no multi transfers, as of yet. The 2023 class has been fairly quiet, however the next three years may or may not provide a lot of movement, as it may take a while to see if there's an impact on the the newly configured teams (USC, UCLA, etc) wrt recruits vs transfers.
1717437979020.jpeg

Reaction Score
Those are very interesting lists:

I was of the impression that LSU was the 'transfer over here cuz our grass is greener on this side' culprit, and/or I also thought USC or So. Car. would perhaps fall into that bracket at well. But simply looking at the lists, it appears that Cori Close from UCLA does not bother recruiting high school kids at all! Rather, she just waits until those players are sorted out onto other competitive teams, then into the transfer portal, and only then does UCLA begins to recruit...

"So, they loaded up their truck and they moved to Beverly, ... Hills that is, Swim Pools & Movie Stars!" and UCLA campus!

Reaction Score
Dorka and Evina and Lou don't show up on this list because they're either from before 2019 or unranked out of HS. But together with Kaitlyn, Geno has 3 or 4 active incoming transfers in this period. This puts us right up there with LSU, UCLA, Duke, USCw, Tennessee, NCSU, Maryland and SC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom