Top 2020 WNBA Draft Prospects | The Boneyard

Top 2020 WNBA Draft Prospects

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thought I'd start a thread on top prospects headed for the pros in 2020. I'm only looking at 2016 recruits or 2015 recruits who redshirted for a year...not analyzing any 2017 recruits who may be eligible. Apologized if I missed and significant players, but top prospects IMO include:

1. Sabrina Ionescu-assuming she comes back, she should be the obvious #1 pick from this draft. Really complete and unique player who impacts games more than anyone else.

2. Jackie Young-edited because I missed her....she could be the top pick in this draft. Excellent guard who quietly does everything well. Averaging about 16 points, 7 boards and 5 assists for Notre Dame while shooting 56% from the floor, 43% from deep and 78% from the line. Could give Ionescu a run for #1 if she blossoms with a larger role next year.

3. Destiny Slocum-I think she has the makings to be a great pro point guard. Has incredible range and ability to get her shot off. Just a strong floor general overall and a clutch player. I think she could become another Kristi Toliver, but with better shot selection and passing ability.

4. Lauren Cox-physical center with range and great length. Fantastic shot blocker and finisher inside. Performances against quality bigs has been a little shaky, and even though she has range, she isn't a consistent shooter from midrange or deep (see UCONN game). Fantastic passer though...lots of similarities between her and Stefanie Dolson IMO, although I think Dolson was a little more disciplined than Cox.

5. Ruth Hebard-very athletic post and finisher inside. Great touch around the basket and could become a very good rim to rim post player. Needs to add range to her shot and improve defensive ability. Upside is there.

6. Kaila Charles-a potentially solid wing who has stood out all 3 years for Maryland. I haven't seen as much of her as I have seen other prospects, so anyone wanting to chime in feel free to.

7. Beatrice Mompremier-haven't seen her this year but has big numbers for Miami (16pts, 11 rb) and is a tall big with good athleticism. Was impressed by her play at Baylor.

8. Crystal Dangerfield-strong point guard with great range and good decision making skills. UCONN pedigree should suit her well, but she is physically smaller than most WNBA point guards and has had streaky performances in big games.

Other potentials:
Mikayla Pivec-fills up the stat sheet well, very good player but not sure she has athleticism or ability to make it as a pro.
Lashann Higgs-very athletic off guard, a little undersized but has the tools to be a solid pro IMO. Much will depend on her ACL recovery.

Joyner Holmes-appeared to be the early pick for #1 draft choice in 2020 but played all of last year out of shape and doesn't look like she's in great shape this year. She's a physical and athletic forward with a WNBA frame but has regressed since a strong freshman year and just looks extremely unpolished.

Te'a Cooper-most predict she'll attempt for the draft this year, I don't think she's ready though. Inconsistent player with good scoring prowess, she could improve a lot with another year under Dawn.

Tyasha Harris-good pass first PG but is a big liability offensively. Good collegiate player, but I don't see her being a pro.

Kyra Lambert-good PG for Duke but coming off 2 knee injuries...uphill battle for her.

Sug Sutton-having a breakout junior year for a slumping Texas team, solid guard who fills up a stat sheet and is emerging as a strong offensive threat. Still needs to make strides to be a strong prospect IMO.

Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan-athletic 6-2 forward with shot blocking ability and is growing offensively. Give her another year and I think she could be a solid draft prospect, especially with better teammates next season.

Reaction Score
Cox is #2 in my mind, and no way Young challenges Ionescu for #1.

Slocum would have to declare early for this draft. She has two years eligibility remaining after this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jackie Young is a top 10 prospect for the 2020 draft. How could you leave her off the list?
I think if you read past #1 you might find her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Jackie Young is a top 10 prospect for the 2020 draft. How could you leave her off the list?

Realized I missed her right when I posted it and put her in at #2.

Reaction Score
Cox is #2 in my mind, and no way Young challenges Ionescu for #1.

Slocum would have to declare early for this draft. She has two years eligibility remaining after this season.

What makes Cox so much better then Hebard

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What makes Cox so much better then Hebard

Cox is much stronger defensively as a shot blocker and (I think) is a lot longer than Hebard. Also a much better passer and has better range on her shot even if it's a work in progress. Players have very different demeanors....Hebard is lower energy than Cox, but Lauren's emotions can help or hurt her team depending on the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cox is #2 in my mind

Wouldn't there be some concerns about her health? Seems like her diabetes causes her to miss a few games or not be at 100% at times. For a #2 pick I don't think I'd be willing to gamble.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't there be some concerns about her health? Seems like her diabetes causes her to miss a few games or not be at 100% at times. For a #2 pick I don't think I'd be willing to gamble.

It seems well-managed, so I’m not concerned. Did you know Delle Donne has Lyme Disease?

Reaction Score
Chances of Slocum leaving early seem unlikely.

Slocum is old enough to declare for the 2019 draft. Declaring for that one would surprise me quite a bit.... especially considering that WNBA players opted out of the CBA, so the league has to draft a new one for the WNBA to continue past 2019. In 2020, if the WNBA is still in operation, her declaring wouldn’t surprise me so much. After you graduate, why stick around?

Reaction Score
They do have Aleah Goodman, who will definitely be able to run the show by then

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom