Top 20 most valuable College Basketball teams...CRAZY LIST? | The Boneyard

Top 20 most valuable College Basketball teams...CRAZY LIST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is how they calculate it. And by every metric we would be near the top, unless they were just looking at last year when we were in the NIT. Dayton and Northwestern are on the list..What?

"To determine the sport's most valuable programs, we look at three key areas for which college basketball's top teams generate value: their universities, athletic departments and conferences. University value comes from academic spending, including team scholarships and other school support, while value to the athletic department is measured by the basketball team profits that go toward funding non-revenue sports like swimming or softball. Lastly, conference value comes from conference payouts tied to success in the NCAA Tournament."

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Been that way for years. Dayton is on the list every year. Louisville has won like five years in a row and UConn doesn't even appear on the list. Even when we were in the OBE and the league was racking up the tourney credits we weren't on the list. Whatever. Guess Dayton to the BXII.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That's hot garbage. Tweet at the author; he's an moron. He should be doubly ashamed carrying that name around with that much lack of respect for our great program.

@ChrisSmith813

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Been that way for years. Dayton is on the list every year. Louisville has won like five years in a row and UConn doesn't even appear on the list. Even when we were in the OBE and the league was racking up the tourney credits we weren't on the list. Whatever. Guess Dayton to the BXII.

Best I can tell, we're generally in the 50s-60s on these things. Last full list I saw was 2013 I think, men's showed a profit of $1 mill while women lost $2.37 mill. But with differences in how schools are allowed to handle accounting, who really knows what the story is.

Reaction Score
My favorites are Northwestern and Dayton with the backdrop of empty seats. The folks write never ceases to amaze me.

Reaction Score
does this at all have to do with how uconn (or other universities) report their revenues?
if the school doesn't report their revenues by sport, it would be difficult to be included in this report.

Reaction Score
Not to mention Tennessee. That athletic dept. is so far in debt i don't think they can even figure it out.

Reaction Score
does this at all have to do with how uconn (or other universities) report their revenues?
if the school doesn't report their revenues by sport, it would be difficult to be included in this report.

When it comes to creative accounting, or at least very favorable lease agreements, Louisville is a very good example. To lure them to downtown Louisville from the old home in the Fairgrounds, the agency responsible for the Yum Center agreed to a lease agreement where the Cards are only responsible for game-day costs of while collecting most of the gate and concession revenue. The University of Louisville does not have to pay a flat fee nor is the university, though they are the lead tenant, contributing tot he Yum Center's debt service, which last I was was around $350 million. That is how Louisville can generate more money then say UNC or other premier college basketball teams by such a large margin. The wildcard is if the the Yum Center's agency does finally fall into bankruptcy, bankruptcy court would likely throw-out the current lease agreement and as the primary tenant, force the University to pay a lot more money into the Yum Center's operations and dept obligation. If that happens, the local Louisville paper once ran an analysis (can't find, may have been from 2013) that it would cut in half money that the basketball program generates.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The UConn women's team would probably be top 20 and the men are even more valuable.

Reaction Score
UConn is in the top 20, but the list in general is garbage. Northwestern has never made an NCAA tournament but is more valuable than Cincinnati and Memphis who don't make the list? Penn State has basketball value? Laughable.

This article and its valuations may be laughable, but the PSU Program despite its struggles still routinely operates in the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom