Top 15 college basketball jobs | The Boneyard

Top 15 college basketball jobs

Reaction Score
Villanova at #6 seems too high. It's a small private school. Before 6 years ago they probably wouldn't have sniffed this list. I get the 2 national championships but UConn won 4 in 16 years and that gets them to #14 (which I don't have much complaint about). And if it's the 6th best job in the country would they really get Kyle Neptune to take over?

Reaction Score
Villanova at #6 seems too high. It's a small private school. Before 6 years ago they probably wouldn't have sniffed this list. I get the 2 national championships but UConn won 4 in 16 years and that gets them to #14 (which I don't have much complaint about). And if it's the 6th best job in the country would they really get Kyle Neptune to take over?
Nova is a pretty nice and cushy job. They pay really well, you're the king of the school, it's a basketball school, they have the 8th most national championships, they have a great basketball history, and you're in a major city/nice part of the country.

UNC got Hubert Davis to take over and he went to the national championship his first year, Indiana got Mike Davis to take over and he went to the national championship game his second season. UConn got Kevin Ollie to take over and he won the national championship his first opportunity, Duke got Jon Scheyer to take over. That's 4 guys who took over for legendary coaches/programs with no head coaching experience. There's nothing unique about Kyle Neptune replacing a legend, Jay Wright handpicked him just like coach K and Calhoun handpicked their guys.

I think UConn should be higher, they start winning tournament games again and they will be.

Reaction Score
My first thought was Arizona, Indiana and Nova are too high
The Hoosiers haven’t won anything since Bobby Knight and really had a long drought before he came
Nova has won multiple championships under
two different coaches .
However the brand is in a questionable state as they transition
Also is the U of A job that good ? Top 15 sure top 10 okay
top 5?
Texas pays well but it’s been a coaches graveyard
I guess outside of UNC , Kansas, Kentucky , and maybe Duke the rest can be open to criticism of one sort or another.

Reaction Score
My first thought was Arizona, Indiana and Nova are too high
The Hoosiers haven’t won anything since Bobby Knight and really had a long drought before he came
Nova has won multiple championships under
two different coaches .
However the brand is in a questionable state as they transition
Also is the U of A job that good ? Top 15 sure top 10 okay
top 5?
Texas pays well but it’s been a coaches graveyard
I guess outside of UNC , Kansas, Kentucky , and maybe Duke the rest can be open to criticism of one sort or another.
All the top 4 tells you is that cheating paid off.

Reaction Score
These were his personal criteria: "I am taking into account obviously the history of the school, the conference it's located in, the actual location of the school in place, cost of living, where you're living in the country, the resources at the school and the commitment at the school.” So, obviously a lot of room for interpretation, which makes it meaningful only in a discussion type of way.

The last sentence of the UConn write-up is why I hope every day for a competent football team, and I say that as someone who loves the Big East and always has. Gotta keep those options open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My question about Nova is how does their recruit profile stack against ours?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Arkansas???????
Cmon
UCLA is too high, Nova over ranked as is Indiana

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Aside from the Top 4, I think the rest would depend on where you want to live, what kind of person and coach you are. Hurley would flame out at some of those schools.

If the list is: 15 schools where the school reputation, following, resources and history most helps a coach, then I don't think they have the right 15. Michigan and UConn would be higher. Arizona lower. Florida would be on the list, Arkansas wouldn't. Gonzaga wouldn't. Indiana is interesting, I used to think it helped, but now their history may weigh on the coach. Ohio State may help more now.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Let’s win #5 this year & force our way back into the top 5.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the best CBB jobs has to be whatever it is Phil Chardis does. Seems like a well-paying good time.

Reaction Score
It's been said but we should be as high as 8 IMO on this list. Give us two years and post this again....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom