Top 100 Westerns of All Time | The Boneyard

Top 100 Westerns of All Time

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like all these lists, the choices the made, even what they include as westerns, were a little quirky.True Grit is way, way under rated at #59 as is Dances with Wolves at #49. New True Grit comes in at #26.
My top 5 along with their rankings in the article:

Unforgiven (#9)
True Grit(Original #59)
Dances with Wolves (#49)
Jeremiah Johnson (#40)
High Noon (#14)

Honorable mention to:
The Cowboys at #41

Reaction Score
The list is a joke having Django Unchained at #2. The Wild Bunch needs to be in the top #3. McCabe and Mrs. Miller is also top 10, IMO.

Reaction Score
Here's a bunch of my favorite westerns, although I can't list any as being an overall number one favorite. I will list them by a few favorite directors.

My list has a lot of John Wayne in it. Still, at first I'm starting my list by a few favorite directors. And for me, John Ford directed westerns have to lead the list.

Stagecoach (Ok, if I have to list a favorite, this could be it)
My Darling Clementine
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
Wagonmaster
Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Howard Hawks is another great director who did great movies in many different genres. He teamed with John Wayne for three of my favorite westerns:

Red River
Rio Bravo
El Dorado

Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood

Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (a main rival for Stagecoach for top western) - Lot's to love in this one, but especially Eli Wallach.

Starring Gary Cooper

The Westerner
High Noon

A few odds and ends:

Magnificent Seven (another great western performance by Eli Wallach)
Destry Rides Again
3:10 to Yuma (Van Heflin/Glenn Ford version)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not clicking through 100 slides. But a few years back I caught The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in a theater. It's tough to beat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not clicking through 100 slides. But a few years back I caught The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in a theater. It's tough to beat.

TGTB&TU is pretty much the only western I'll continue watching if I happen to stumble on it. It's #1 by a considerable margin for me.

When I saw the first slide was a Bob Hope film - who, IMO, was about the unfunniest comedian ever - I was wondering how many comedies would make the list. I saw a couple, but also saw a couple that were certainly better than Bob Hope - Cat Ballou should be in the lower middle somewhere and even the ridiculous A Million Ways to Die in the West is a laugh riot compared to Bob Hope and should bring up the rear.

Also agree on how silly Django Unchained at #2 is. I enjoy the crap out of that movie, but it's more for brainless fun than plot or acting. Given that standard, I was surprised Cowboys & Aliens wasn't in the top 20, let alone not on the list at all.

Reaction Score

Any list that doesn’t have it at #1 is not worth looking at. The other two movies in the trilogy are great too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom