Top 10 +/- in Country | The Boneyard

Top 10 +/- in Country

Reaction Score
Cupcakes help.

They do, but I don't think it's that simple. Most of the teams listed are top 60 in KenPom. The outliers are Bucknell and Abilene that both play in bad conferences and are in the mid to high 100s in KenPom.

Reaction Score
Cupcakes help.
Yeah, also a lot of garbage time comebacks with those 5 guys on the floor.

That said, that’s clearly our best line up and we definitely lack depth. Nice to see em that high on the list.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Got to stop fouling to keep this offensive group on the floor. As much as I hate to say it more zone later in games? Maybe press then drop into a zone?

Reaction Score
The overall team is bad due to a lack of depth, this 5 man lineup according to the stats is good.
That's why I don't go crazy about stats. We've seen all the games with our eyes, they blow out the cupcakes and look bad against the real teams. Outside of the past couple of games Carlton has done nothing against the real teams and Polley has done nothing against them.

Reaction Score
That's why I don't go crazy about stats. We've seen all the games with our eyes, they blow out the cupcakes and look bad against the real teams. Outside of the past couple of games Carlton has done nothing against the real teams and Polley has done nothing against them.

Yeah, another factor here is that Josh has trouble staying on the court against good teams, meaning this 5 man lineup doesn’t play much in those games. Which helps their plus/minus cause we get killed in those games no matter the line up.

Reaction Score
The overall team is bad due to a lack of depth, this 5 man lineup according to the stats is good.

Not all stats are good stats.

This is not a good stat.

Reaction Score
They aren't bad. They are just below average with tons of potential and upside looking forward with little coaching and too many bad habits from the past.

What will win out in the end? 1. The bad habits and poor coaching of the past or 2. solid coaching to get these kids to where they could and should be in the near future which leads to reaching their ceiling or at least coming close? (Ie reaching the potential)

The current record is a result of this struggle between the two. This team has not reached their potential and it remains to be seen if they actually will but anyone who thinks what we have seen is the POTENTIAL ceiling they are crazy. Now reaching IT is different. 11-8 is not reflective of that potential, plain and simple.

Not all stats are good stats.

This is not a good stat.
Why?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe this team is not so bad after all and just lacks depth (I know it took this long to come to this conclusion)

We're a solid first half team for the most part, and with this being our starting lineup, I guess it makes sense. Definitely not a good team though

Reaction Score
Why?

Specifically, it's not a good stat over this sample size and with no adjustments. Some stats are so noisy that their output is close to random.

Plus/Minus is very noisy by itself, which is why a larger sample (ideally multiple years) is preferred. +/- is even worse in college than in the NBA, due to the vastly differing schedule strengths and less games.

Lineup +/- can be even more noisy, because it generally has even less possessions than individual +/-. It does at least remove the teammate quality variable. This one is the equivalent of ~6 games worth of minutes for the UConn players and has no opponent strength adjustment.

As mentioned, UConn has the 200th strength of schedule (300th nonconf) and Carlton didn't play more than 15 minutes in any of the 5 tough nonconf games (average of 10 mpg) and played at least 18 minutes in every single game against a 200+ KenPom team (average 22 mpg), so that lineup's weighted minutes SoS is even worse than our actual SoS.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We're a solid first half team for the most part, and with this being our starting lineup, I guess it makes sense. Definitely not a good team though
In Hurley’s most recent interview he mentioned depth being a problem. The numbers bare this out, we get significantly worse when we go to the bench. This is why Hurley has not changed the starting lineup. Working with the starters on conditioning and playing defense without fouling would help as the talent coming off the bench just is not there.

Reaction Score
Digging deep to find the silverish lining. It's nice to see though. I guess my eyes are deceiving me...

Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse but take home point imo is that Polley, Carlton, and AL WOULD have been our depth only if...

Adams, Al
CV, Tarin
Jackson, Polley,
Durham, Sid, MD
Enoch, Carlton

Reaction Score
These are the guys playing minutes before we get all of those team fouls which assist in making us fall behind. But it is a decent lineup.

Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse but take home point imo is that Polley, Carlton, and AL WOULD have been our depth only if...

Adams, Al
CV, Tarin
Jackson, Polley,
Durham, Sid, MD
Enoch, Carlton
We would not have gotten many of the players currently on our team were it not for those Ollie-era transfers. The entire roster would be different.

Reaction Score
Only because Carlton did a little scoring this week right?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This can be read is a bunch of ways.

Lack of depth
Lack of conditioning
Lack of bench
Blowouts of bad teams while losing to close to anyone decent (my pick)
A lack of clutch when it counts

If this were anything but a statistical anomaly, the record would be a lot better. JA, AG, and CV are good, just not good for 40 minutes and rarely great. Then there is the blackhole we have a the 4 and the matador defense left over from the KO era.

You close and separate yourself in games with defense. This team hasn't learned that yet.

Reaction Score
You close and separate yourself in games with defense. This team hasn't learned that yet.

I just don't think this roster has the physical makeup to be consistently great defensively. This doesn't mean we couldn't be better -- Adams is woefully inconsistent, and Gilbert does not close on shooters well at all. But neither Polley nor Vital have the lateral quickness to defend good guards or wings, Wilson can be pushed around by most 4s despite his effort level and athleticism, Carlton doesn't have the foot speed or strength to be an effective post defender, and Cobb similarly has no lateral quickness whatsoever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom