Top 10 assist leaders. Who’s missing from this list? | The Boneyard

Top 10 assist leaders. Who’s missing from this list?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw this and asked the same question. Evidently, the top 10 “best passers” in WBB is based entirely on last season’s assists per game for returning players only. I would unequivocally declare that Paige is a better passer than anyone on the list, including Clark.

Reaction Score
Yes, I saw this and asked the same question. Evidently, the top 10 “best passers” in WBB is based entirely on last season’s assists per game for returning players only. I would unequivocally declare that Paige is a better passer than anyone on the list, including Clark.
Yea---but what has she done TODAY!

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd is not listed as returning among the teammates Nika will be able to pass to this season!

Reaction Score
Being a great passer doesn't necessarily mean you get a lot of assists. Paige is a great offensive player but she never has been a high assist player at least while at UConn. All the players on the list have a good assist average and played last year which looks to have some impact on the names. I was surprised to see Miles on the list but maybe she will give it a go this year but I would be worried she might cause more damage coming back that fast.

Paige will have a great year and lead her team to the NC but I don't see her finishing in the top ten in Assists. Her game is more about scoring and making big baskets and since they have Nika that is all PB has to do.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
As a long time fan of beautiful UConn basketball, with multiple players all contributing to both offensive and defensive efficiency, I favor efficiency over production.

Clark’s efficiency to facilitate is still great, worthy of the elite guard that she is, but Bueckers’ efficiency was off the charts as a freshman, better than any recent guards, including Clark and Ionescu (and how quickly people forgot the historic triple double machine that was Ionescu). I don’t know all the stats, but I suspect the freshman Bueckers was more efficient than the likes of Vandersloot and Penicheiro. The freshman Bueckers was more efficient than the career of Bird. The start of her sophomore year was even more efficient than her freshman, but then injury and the latter part of the season brought her back down to earth.

Muhl does not have the historic efficiency of Bueckers, but it is nonetheless elite, better even than Clark’s. Muhl benefits from the shooting efficiency of teammates, but Clark benefited even more from the high efficiency of her teammates and high possessions of the exciting Iowa offense. Clark also played with essentially the same starters over three years, while neither Bueckers nor Muhl played with consistent starters even within the same year.

The nature of UConn’s roster, with two elite efficiency facilitators, means neither is likely to top the country in assists/game this coming year. They will not draw credit from simplistic analyses such as the one linked but, if UConn stays relatively free from injuries and has a consistent starting line up, I suspect we will be treated to the best of the beautiful basketball that has been UConn.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Being a great passer doesn't necessarily mean you get a lot of assists. Paige is a great offensive player but she never has been a high assist player at least while at UConn. All the players on the list have a good assist average and played last year which looks to have some impact on the names. I was surprised to see Miles on the list but maybe she will give it a go this year but I would be worried she might cause more damage coming back that fast.

Paige will have a great year and lead her team to the NC but I don't see her finishing in the top ten in Assists. Her game is more about scoring and making big baskets and since they have Nika that is all PB has to do.
? Bueckers led the team in assists her freshman year, and it was not close. She was leading the team the beginning of her sophomore year and it was not close.

Jokic can rack up assists as a center. Both Bird and Taurasi could rack up assists playing together, I have no doubt Muhl and Bueckers can do the same.

But I agree that neither will lead the country in assists or assists per game. The Iowa offense should not have as high shooting efficiency as last year, but they still will be a high possession offense with Clark being ball dominant.

sun

Reaction Score
In the 2020-2021 season, Paige was nationally ranked 5th in assists with 168, & ranked 1st in the Big East.
In assists per game, Paige was nationally ranked 14th with 5.8, & ranked 1st in the Big East.
In assist turnover ratio, Paige was nationally ranked 31st with 2.30, & ranked 3rd in the Big East.

In 2020-2021, UConn was nationally ranked 2nd in assists, 1st in assists per game & 4th in assist turnover ratio.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm with you, Oldude, if your post finished 'alongside Clark.'

Those many on the BY (not meaning you, Oldude) who try their best to lessen Clark's greatness to boost the Huskies should watch her play more. She's a remarkable passer.

Praying for good health going forward (for those young women and for me;)), I look forward to the day when Paige and Caitlin are Olympic teammates... I would guess rival nations' teams don't share that anticipation.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
In the 2020-2021 season, Paige was nationally ranked 5th in assists with 168, & ranked 1st in the Big East.
In assists per game, Paige was nationally ranked 14th with 5.8, & ranked 1st in the Big East.
In assist turnover ratio, Paige was nationally ranked 31st with 2.30, & ranked 3rd in the Big East.

In 2020-2021, UConn was nationally ranked 2nd in assists, 1st in assists per game & 4th in assist turnover ratio.
Can you provide the site that gives A/T rankings? With the sites I use I would have to calculate a bunch of individual A/T ratios to determine national rankings for that stat. I am not so motivated.

sun

Reaction Score
Can you provide the site that gives A/T rankings? With the sites I use I would have to calculate a bunch of individual A/T ratios to determine national rankings for that stat. I am not so motivated.
Start with the drop down menu to select a sport.

Reaction Score
Many posters bring up Nika's lack or scoring when doing comparisons. My take is assists are scoring irregardless of who is putting it in the hoop. So, in my calculations ,Nikas 7+ points per game and her 7.9 assists per game total a healthy 15 total contributed points from her. I will take that any day of the week. GO NIKA!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score

And yet Miles made the list.

Sloppy journalism.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And yet Miles made the list.

Sloppy journalism.
I don’t have a problem with Miles making the list. Paige missed much of her sophomore season and still was the best pg in WBB when she was healthy. Miles also made the Nancy Lieberman watch list for this coming season, even though no one knows exactly when or if she’ll be back on the court this season.

Reaction Score
I don’t have a problem with Miles making the list. Paige missed much of her sophomore season and still was the best pg in WBB when she was healthy. Miles also made the Nancy Lieberman watch list for this coming season, even though no one knows exactly when or if she’ll be back on the court this season.

That's the point. The article was a lie. It wasn't about the best passers of 2024, it was about the top assisters for 2023. Maybe the editor is at fault, or whoever wrote the headline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom