Took some time for Uconn to be good | The Boneyard

Took some time for Uconn to be good

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The only thing that disappoints me thus far is that we’ve shown that quit, in the Iowa and Nova games, that we had in us last year. I don’t remember this quit aspect in ANY Jim Calhoun coached team.

Reaction Score
Agree, with one exception: I have bad memories of the 09-10 team, which was just a weird season with Calhoun either suspended or sick or both (can’t recall exactly)

Reaction Score
I just thought the offense would be significantly better in the half court, and it just isn’t. It’s always 3 guys tossing it around the perimeter with no inside out game. That does have to do with the lack of creativity of our post guys, which makes it that much more odd that Cobb can’t get any minutes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The only thing that disappoints me thus far is that we’ve shown that quit, in the Iowa and Nova games, that we had in us last year. I don’t remember this quit aspect in ANY Jim Calhoun coached team.

The program's future is going to contain at least some stuff that never came to be under Calhoun, no matter what.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall a real awful stretch at the end of Dyson's career where things got real bad. It was 09-10, the Jamaal Trice/Darius Smith season. They finished 7-11 in the Big East and completely quit on Calhoun.

Calhoun was fantastic overall and is a largrer than life legend, but he did lose a team or two along the way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's wait until the whole roster is Hurley guys before we complain about quitting. God knows some of these guys are used to it

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

You must have missed a few games in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012

Reaction Score
Let's wait until the whole roster is Hurley guys before we complain about quitting. God knows some of these guys are used to it
What's funny to me is most people before the season acknowledged that we may struggle early in november/december but would get better as the season moved along and everyone got used to Hurley's style.

I still think that we will get better. Now is that enough to get in the NCAAs? Probably not this year unless we improve a ton quickly or win the conference tournament. But I think we will play our best ball in feburary/march.

Reaction Score
What's funny to me is most people before the season acknowledged that we may struggle early in november/december but would get better as the season moved along and everyone got used to Hurley's style.

I still think that we will get better. Now is that enough to get in the NCAAs? Probably not this year unless we improve a ton quickly or win the conference tournament. But I think we will play our best ball in feburary/march.
Ppl just allowed their expectations to go too far after cuse, and now they’re walking them too far back to compensate

Reaction Score
Or really an Ollie coached team until last year.
Heck we made a run at top seed Kansas down 20 in a he round of 32.
The knock was not quit but slow start then fight like crazy.
The 2016-17 team was a tad short handed but I don’t remember them quitting
Even winning 2 (beating Houston ) in the AAC to get to the Qrt finals
The only quit I saw that year was in the alleged fan base when 7,000 showed up at that game at the XL center. That was embarrassing.

Reaction Score
No one ever said this team was going to be great
But given the experience and additions and a favorable schedule it looked like 22 wins was probably a good mumber
The only game that disappointed me so far was the Arizona game. That was winnable.
That part of the season is over ,done ,gone..forgotten by me..
Let’s look forward instead
I think the next 3-5 games will determine a successful season or not.
@USF a must win but conference road games are scary and this team has played every game at home so far.
SMU home a must win
UCF home a must win

Win those three and the next two probable road losses to Cinncy and Tulsa ( unbeaten at home last I looked) won’t be do bad
Loss one and we’re looking like a 5-6 place team.
Win the three and get 1 of 2 on the road and AZ is almost ready( not quite) to light the cigar.
That’s a heck of start

Reaction Score
Hurley will get his guys. Vital doesn't quit. That kid hustles his tail off. Need more like him.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
If many say our boys quit in the Nova game so be it. Maybe they did. Not to defend them,but it'shard to get back in sync when a team comes out burying threes one after another. Non stop, making them at will. Again, there should be NO quit!!. However, the threes went down and the place was roaring.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yes this team is better than the last few years, but it is not a good team. It doesn't have dominant athletes at this point. Does not have a player that can take over in certain situations. Has little size/bulk up front. the guard play from Jalen and Al too frequently consists have dribble drives without options resulting in turnovers. But I believe we are on our way and I am glad to have a couple of mediocre years while I remember yesterday and dream of tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom