Too Much Talent? | The Boneyard

Too Much Talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just read article in Scientific American that says that although individual talent improves a team, there is a point after which there is too much talent and performance decreases. It made me think of Ky this year.

"First, Swaab and colleagues found that the percentage of top talent on a team affects intrateam coordination. For the basketball study, teams with the highest levels of top performers had fewer assists and defensive rebounds, and lower field-goal percentages. These failures in strategic, collaborative play undermined the team’s effectiveness. "

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-surprising-problem-of-too-much-talent/

Reaction Score
That makes sense... there's no reason why sports teams would be immune to the principle of "diminishing returns."

Reaction Score
Our last 2 titles featured 1 star, a couple very good players and good role players.

Reaction Score
Just read article in Scientific American that says that although individual talent improves a team, there is a point after which there is too much talent and performance decreases. It made me think of Ky this year.

"First, Swaab and colleagues found that the percentage of top talent on a team affects intrateam coordination. For the basketball study, teams with the highest levels of top performers had fewer assists and defensive rebounds, and lower field-goal percentages. These failures in strategic, collaborative play undermined the team’s effectiveness. "

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-surprising-problem-of-too-much-talent/
I think if Calipari managed the talent better it would have worked, he is not a good game coach. We have had past years with great talent that didn't work out, but I would love to take my chances next season with a UCONN too talented roster.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I really do agree with that to some extent. Looking back on the 2011-2012 team, its amazing that team had a disappointing season when you see who was on the roster. That team could very well be one of the top 4-5 most talented UConn teams ever. Lamb, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Drummond, Giffey, Roscoe, and ill even include Oriakhi. Yes, there were a lot of off the court issues they had to deal with like Boatright being investigated and forced to sit out two different times, and the JC suspension for the first 3 Big East games. I know a lot of those guys didnt reach their potential until after that season but you would think a team centered around Lamb, Napier, and Drummond could do a little better than an 8-10 league record and win a couple games in the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
What hurt KY two years in a row wasn't too much talent, it was the lack of any veteran leadership, especially at crunch time.

Reaction Score
Chemistry........talented players now play 1 year and leave...less talented play more than one year with teammates which in turn builds chemistry.....they factor that in?

Reaction Score
Chemistry...talented players now play 1 year and leave...less talented play more than one year with teammates which in turn builds chemistry.....they factor that in?

The article is about sports in general, not college basketball specifically.

Reaction Score

It's the scientific principle of too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Reaction Score
Kentucky's talent has been incredibly overstated all season.

They were a very good team and had a ton of depth and simply overwhelmed teams over the course of the game because they were so big and athletic.

But as far as top end talent, they weren't anything special. This talk of beating NBA teams or being the greatest college team ever is insane. Did they even have a single go to take over a game type player? More like 8 or 9 very good players, but not one single star. I can think of a number of teams in recent years that had much better top end talent including Duke and Wisconsin just this year. Heck we've had four or five teams with better top end talent in just the last 15 or 20 years.

In college hoops you need at least one guy who can take over a game and dominate. Most championship teams have 2. Ky didn't even have 1.

Ky played in a crap conference and barely played anyone all season. Their biggest advantage was that it was very hard to score on them. But when they finally ran into talented teams who could run an offense they lost to one and should've lost to the other.

Very good team, but too much talent? Please

Reaction Score
How many points would KAT score against Brimah and Nolan? Answer, infinity. He could take over and dominate on both ends better than Okafor. The refs hurt him in his last game.

Reaction Score
How many points would KAT score against Brimah and Nolan? Answer, infinity. He could take over and dominate on both ends better than Okafor. The refs hurt him in his last game.

So you are using being able to score on Phil Nolan and brimah as the barometer for dominance? That's a joke right? By that measure two thirds of all big men playing right now would qualify.

And they handed it to him the game before against ND. He had two blatent charges they didnt call. Towns is good but hes far from special in terms of talent just in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky