Too close for comfort | The Boneyard

Too close for comfort

Reaction Score
1551758288506.png

Reaction Score
I’ll be honest I haven’t watched the game yet, but the box score surprised me to say the least. In any case from what I’ve read it seems Coombs, ONO, and Christyn Williams all contributed significantly to the win. Again I haven’t watched the game yet, but I’m just going out on a limb and saying this is Lou and Collier’s way of preparing the team for next year:D

Reaction Score
The incomparable value of KLS was on display vs USF. This USF team isn't even a good team in the AAC. However, vs the half dozen or so teams that will be a legitimate threat to UConn in the NCAA tourney KLS still will have to be the hub of the offense for them to have a chance to win the title and that is up for question because during her career she has never been "that" for an entire big game vs a top 10 team . From the 1st game in the NCAA's the ball has to go thru KLS on every possession other than an immediate fast break & she has to be on the court as the 1st option for half court in bounding. It has to start in the 1st game so the rest of the team has a chance to get used to the way the offense should be. But, that is a fantasy. The offense will never be run like that meaning UConn will have a slim chance to win it all. I'm being realistic because the last 2 years they haven't won a semifinal game. Then again, if she is less than 100% physically they will have little chance anyway.

Reaction Score
The incomparable value of KLS was on display vs USF. This USF team isn't even a good team in the AAC. However, vs the half dozen or so teams that will be a legitimate threat to UConn in the NCAA tourney KLS still will have to be the hub of the offense for them to have a chance to win the title and that is up for question because during her career she has never been "that" for an entire big game vs a top 10 team . From the 1st game in the NCAA's the ball has to go thru KLS on every possession other than an immediate fast break & she has to be on the court as the 1st option for half court in bounding. It has to start in the 1st game so the rest of the team has a chance to get used to the way the offense should be. But, that is a fantasy. The offense will never be run like that meaning UConn will have a slim chance to win it all. I'm being realistic because the last 2 years they haven't won a semifinal game. Then again, if she is less than 100% physically they will have little chance anyway.
This game showed the value of team chemistry. UConn did not look in sync last night and I attribute that to a major cog being unable to provide the team with that chemistry. KLS being unavailable was a major detriment to UConn’s offense. USF simply did not respect UConn outside game. A real concern was the lack of rebounding, I did not expect that to happen. That is an area that must be fixed if UConn is to advance to the FF.

Reaction Score
A real struggle tonight, but some of the bench provided a glimmer of hope going forward. Props to Ono and Coombs, with a nice pickup for Williams late.

Exactly, I'm with you on this, we must be the "glass half full" types. Reading other threads, there are lots of "glass half empty" types lurking around.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And also UConn’s best defender imo. If UConn runs into Louisville again in the Big Dance, I would love to see Mikayla matched up with Durr.

I think Coombs will be a key player next year.
Exactly, I'm with you on this, we must be the "glass half full" types. Reading other threads, there are lots of "glass half empty" types lurking around.

So you're okay with 4 points scored by the bench in 30 minutes of play? Obviously Auriemma wasn't. Particularly the play of Bent and Irwin. Bent has reverted to "what me shoot?" and Irwin still can't set a screen or defend in the paint.

Reaction Score
We have to remember that KLS was a part of that first meeting with USF back in mid-January and that wasn't exactly a walk in the park, especially in the first half. Too often they play to their opponent and maybe that's wishful thinking. The AAC tourney and first couple of games of the NCAA in Storrs will hopefully turn things around. There's too much parity in place to think that a sub-par performance will stand-up against that opening round game in Albany.

Reaction Score
This was vs an average AAC team. There was nothing positive about this game in relation to a team looking to win it all. This UConn team without a healthy KLS in the role of hub of the offense has little chance of winning the title.

Reaction Score
It seems these poor games are due to more than one of the big three having sub-par shooting games. If everyone could shoot their season average (or higher) I think we can still win it all. A repeat of the Baylor, Louisville or South Florida games will probably mean an early exit from the tournament.

Reaction Score
This was vs an average AAC team. There was nothing positive about this game in relation to a team looking to win it all. This UConn team without a healthy KLS in the role of hub of the offense has little chance of winning the title.

Finally a statement that makes sense to me. I look for positives where you may look at negatives. I'll take these positives away from the game....first and foremost, they won the game, the play of ONO, Coombs in the second half. I'll even take the positives from Williams and Walker's play and although Pheesa and Crystal did not appear to have the type of game they usually do still managed to get 16 and 17 points respectively. All this with Lou on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom