Tom Moore UConn Interview | The Boneyard

Tom Moore UConn Interview

Reaction Score
Tom Moore interview with the Big East Rewind.

This one is worth listening to, a lot of deep dish on both history and this year's team.

Thx for posting. That was an awesome interview. Coach Moore is a great connector between generations. Who else has Calhoun and Hurley stories??

I hope he writes a book when he retires.

Reaction Score
Great interview. We are lucky to have Tom as that link from Calhoun to Hurley. And he seems chill about praising Kimani and Luke. That could be a problem if Moore was not a team guy.

It would be great if they could restart the alumni event like the one Calhoun used to hold at Mohegan Sun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was great. The recruiting insight was interesting, as well as his talking about the players, Hurley, and the Calhoun stories. Thanks for posting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I often feel Tom’s thick head of hair gets him isolated from the other follicularly challenged bench mates
"shut up fur head"

awy

Reaction Score
yea on the level of time commitment recruiting trips take I imagine it's quite intense for someone like DH who spends so much time in the gym. also haven't heard UConn make use of zoom calls all that much, unlike some of the other programs.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
Tom Moore interview with the Big East Rewind.

This one is worth listening to, a lot of deep dish on both history and this year's team.

Thanks. That was a good listen.

There is a lot of talk about how college coaching became more difficult and time consuming with the portal so it was interesting that being where UConn is now they don’t feel it’s a huge problem. They select a limited number of HS guys to look at. If they swing and miss on a position that way they feel comfortable going to the portal. It also makes sense that it’d be an easier evaluation of portal players knowing the competition they’re facing as well as the fact that college players are farther along into being the players they’re going to be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say that was a great listen. My two favorite parts, and there was so much, was of course the time Square bus story and the coaching clinic at Saint Benedict's where Jim Boeheim is giving a talk on the 2-3 zone and then up next is Coach Calhoun and he gets up and and says "now let me tell you how to beat that sh.it." Great stuff.

Reaction Score
I love it when past players show love for the program. Moore delivered insight into how much the guys loved coming back for the Calhoun Aug charity game etc. My favorite anecdote is Khalid coming back more recently and being alone with Tom in Gampel at center court looking around with tears in his eyes. Knowing he loved his time here chokes me up even writing this. Sort of a Gayle Sayers Brian's Song moment for me. "I loved Brian Piccolo and I want you to love him too". Substitute "UConn" for Brian Piccolo.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed this interview. I shouldn't have started it so late, had to finish it in one sitting. It was nice to take a peek under the hood of two eras of UConn bball. I really hope that these guys have Coach Moore back before the season starts. I'd like to hear his updated perspective of the team after he's been able to work with the kids for an extended time.

Reaction Score
As great as Hurley is, and as much positive pub (correctly, of course) as both Luke Murray and Kimani Young receive, Tom Moore is the perfect 4th for this coaching staff... and in my strong opinion the best 4th of any major Division 1 program in the country. Our staff is not the best because of Hurley only... or just Hurley, Murray and Young. Tom Moore did a great job on Calhoun's staff (none of us should ever forget that he was one of the main architects of the brilliant and highly effective double big strategy implemented against Elton Brand in the 1999 championship game) and he brings the perfect blend of knowledge, experience, wisdom, strategy, recruiting success and team-first attitude that makes our coaching staff, 1 through 4, the best in the entire country.

We have been incredibly lucky to have Tom Moore on our coaching staff not once, but twice. And he has been, is and will continue to be an integral part of our amazing success. A humble man when you consider the outstanding success he has had in his career. And a great sense of history too.

Thank you Tom!

Reaction Score
As great as Hurley is, and as much positive pub (correctly, of course) as both Luke Murray and Kimani Young receive, Tom Moore is the perfect 4th for this coaching staff... and in my strong opinion the best 4th of any major Division 1 program in the country. Our staff is not the best because of Hurley only... or just Hurley, Murray and Young. Tom Moore did a great job on Calhoun's staff (none of us should ever forget that he was one of the main architects of the brilliant and highly effective double big strategy implemented against Elton Brand in the 1999 championship game) and he brings the perfect blend of knowledge, experience, wisdom, strategy, recruiting success and team-first attitude that makes our coaching staff, 1 through 4, the best in the entire country.

We have been incredibly lucky to have Tom Moore on our coaching staff not once, but twice. And he has been, is and will continue to be an integral part of our amazing success. A humble man when you consider the outstanding success he has had in his career. And a great sense of history too.

Thank you Tom!
I totally agree. I loved when Tom talks about the fact that players love him because he is the “good cop” and controls the NIL money. Tom also doesn’t avoid his shortcomings at The Q.

Reaction Score
Absolutely Fantastic interview with insights you can rarely get. It's really long, but a must listen.

Reaction Score
Calhoun - status quo in practice. In games he really got on his guys to perform at their peak.

Hurley - Get on his guys in practice. Practices are so rough that games end up being no/less pressure.

I read before that Hurley would ride hard on Steph in practice, but didn't realize how hard. Takes an exceptional kid to take that all in. Now we know how he became the best perimeter defensive player in the country as a freshman, without the rep as an elite defender in high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom