Tom Izzo vs. Jim Boeheim | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo vs. Jim Boeheim

Reaction Score
The most overrated coach in the country vs. the most underrated coach in the country.

#1 in the country pre-season. Roster loaded with five stars at every position. Lottery pick. 9th place team in the ACC. Game in Detroit. 53 points.

What a failure.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Both have received their deserved credit.
They aren't Phil Jackson or John Wooden or Bobby Knight or Jim Calhoun. But they are Hall of Famers.
Having said that, MSU did wildly underachieve this year, again.

Reaction Score
Both have received their deserved credit.
They aren't Phil Jackson or John Wooden or Bobby Knight or Jim Calhoun. But they are Hall of Famers.
Having said that, MSU did wildly underachieve this year, again.

MSU/Izzo's track record is weird.

He gets to the Final Four in years where the team wasn't expected to do anything.

And then when they're expected to dominate, he chokes.

Reaction Score
This post makes no sense.

Cuse is playing with house money and Michigan State went cold. That sums it up.

Every lower seed plays with house money. They did more than just go cold.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse MO is as follows:

1. Plod through a mediocre regular season in which conference foes, who are used to their style of play, have them figured out
2. Receive an undeserved Tournament bid out of P5 favoritism and reputation
3. Face out-of-conference opponents who are unused to the gimmick defense and win a series of ugly games and develop a reputation for overachieving

#3 has only started to occur in recent years as the game has shifted to having a lot less experienced players and sub-par coaching.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
MSU/Izzo's track record is weird.

He gets to the Final Four in years where the team wasn't expected to do anything.

And then when they're expected to dominate, he chokes.
I don't want to say they got unlucky, but shots just weren't falling today for MSU. Even so, they should beat this Cuse team handily. Credit to Cuse and Boeheim though- they turn the game into an ugly defensive scrap, but it has proven to get the job done in the tournament lately.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse MO is as follows:

1. Plod through a mediocre regular season in which conference foes, who are used to their style of play, have them figured out
2. Receive an undeserved Tournament bid out of P5 favoritism and reputation
3. Face out-of-conference opponents who are unused to the gimmick defense and win a series of ugly games and develop a reputation for overachieving

#3 has only started to occur in recent years as the game has shifted to having a lot less experienced players and sub-par coaching.
Agree on everything you said. Which is why Duke is a terrible matchup for them next week. Because of point number 1.

Reaction Score
The thing about Izzo and Boeheim is they both only have 1 National Championship. Yes, they have multiple Final Fours and championship game appearances, but I guarantee you they both wish they had one more title to cement their legacy. There are a lot of coaches who won a title, but when you look at the coaches who won 2, 3, and 4+, you are in the company of legends of the game.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
All I know is my bracket is dead and neither team was winning it all, even though I picked Michigan st in one to do just that

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
point in case, limit the amount of zone, adopt NBA rules
Agreed. Get rid of it. But then people will say it benefits the inferior teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Syracuse’s offense might be worse than uconns but their zone keeps them in it. Can’t wait for Boeheim to leave

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You can play zone in the NBA. You just can't be in the paint for more than 3 seconds. Seems reasonable.

I hate that, but then again I will hate every anti Big man rule there is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom