OT: Toledo requests BE vacate SYR win | The Boneyard

OT: Toledo requests BE vacate SYR win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who is the final decision maker on that in the BE offices, and is it something they could actually do? Think of the impact in Vegas for people that bet the money line (and for all of you in the Pick Em contest, results will be altered if this is miraculously over turned :D).
It was an awful call, but would be kind of BS if it was overturned after the fact. SU could argue they would have defended differently if they were at risk to lose the game w/ a FG as opposed to just going to over time. Although, it would be kinda funny if Marinate obliged, and gave SU a nice little parting gift.

Reaction Score
Elsewhere, someone suggested that they perhaps just take away Toledo's loss and not the Cuse win...if that makes sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How could you possibly review a kick attempt with a sideline camera? That is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
For what its worth, even if Marinatto was stupid enough to overturn this, no Toledo bet tickets will change.

Reaction Score
Elsewhere, someone suggested that they perhaps just take away Toledo's loss and not the Cuse win...if that makes sense.
I don't get that solution at all. This could have bowl implications for both teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It won't be turned over, it's ridiculous that Toledo even asked. They still had every opportunity to win the game. Should the Big East overturn them stalling in the red zone and award them a TD?

Reaction Score
Ludicrous. It was disgraceful that the replay referee didn't overturn the ruling (on the replay you could clearly see the ball block out the post, not the post block the ball, as their planes crossed) but there is absolutely no way of knowing that the last drive would have played the same way if Toledo was down 2 instead of 3.

It's why the NCAA needs to train, monitor and supply crews, and not the conferences, but the NCAA is clearly moving to less power, not more.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Bad officiating is part of any sport. If the Syracuse victory is overturned, leagues and teams would have to revisit all kinds of blown calls from past games and adjust the final scores. Just think, Jeffrey Maier would no longer be a Yankee hero for grabbing a "home run." It isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
How many games is Quse going to win because the referees blew the call on a kick attempt?

Reaction Score
There is one of these moments every so often (see UConn/Temple, UConn/LV a few years back). It was clear to my tired eyes that the ball passed to the outside of the upright because it blocked the upright. I find it hard to believe that it could have been seen as anything but a missed EP but incompetence is everywhere.

Reaction Score
The replay I saw clearly showed the ball passing in front of the post. This is par for the course for Big East refs though. We might have the worst officials of any conference at any level.

Reaction Score
There is one of these moments every so often (see UConn/Temple, UConn/LV a few years back). It was clear to my tired eyes that the ball passed to the outside of the upright because it blocked the upright. I find it hard to believe that it could have been seen as anything but a missed EP but incompetence is everywhere.

Please stop comparing this to the Temple call... even if the Temple player had made the catch (he didn't have full possession of the ball till after going out of bounds) there was no video evidence available to the replay refs that showed both his foot and the ball in the same shot to overturn it. This time there is clear video evidence that should have been used to overturn the call.

Reaction Score
The end zone view showed the ball deflecting to the left of the left upright. The sideline view was inconclusive (imo). Therefore, the replay official did not overturn the ruling on the field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Please stop comparing this to the Temple call... even if the Temple player had made the catch (he didn't have full possession of the ball till after going out of bounds) there was no video evidence available to the replay refs that showed both his foot and the ball in the same shot to overturn it. This time there is clear video evidence that should have been used to overturn the call.

Thank you, santini. I will say it every time. The Temple game was a win. The guy did not catch the ball. He was OB!

Reaction Score
The end zone view showed the ball deflecting to the left of the left upright. The sideline view was inconclusive (imo). Therefore, the replay official did not overturn the ruling on the field.

Given that the league office has already said the replay official blew it, I'm not sure what your point is.

Reaction Score
There is no chance this gets overruled even though it was a blown call. Happens all the time, probably more often to teams from weaker confereneces on the playing on the road, but there simply is nothing you can do.

Reaction Score
The replay I saw clearly showed the ball passing in front of the post. This is par for the course for Big East refs though. We might have the worst officials of any conference at any level.

Goes along with the worst teams and worst conference leadership.

Reaction Score
It won't be turned over, it's ridiculous that Toledo even asked. They still had every opportunity to win the game. Should the Big East overturn them stalling in the red zone and award them a TD?
Works for me. It's only SU.

Reaction Score
but there simply is nothing you can do.

Why can't the outcome of the game be changed and Toledo be ruled the winner and Syracuse the loser. The replay officials screwed up. When a mistake like that is made you need to do the right thing.

If I was an official at Syracuse I would agree with the folks at Toledo and second their request that the result of the game be overturned. It is the right thing to do! It has been done before!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1940)

The Fifth-Down Game of November 16, 1940

Cornell entered the contest with 18 straight victories over a two-year period.
Dartmouth would manage to hold off Cornell's offense for nearly the entire low-scoring game. Dartmouth scored first, achieving a field goal for three points in the fourth quarter.
Finally, with less than a minute remaining in the game, Cornell got the ball on Dartmouth's six-yard line. Cornell expected to have four chances to win the game. On its first down, fullback Mort Landsberg gained three yards. On its second down, Cornell halfback Walt Scholl managed to run the ball to the one-yard line. On the third down, Mort Landsberg tried to run up the middle but did not gain more than a few inches. On the fourth down, Cornell was penalized for delay of game, and Referee Red Friesell spotted the ball just over the 5-yard line in order to replay the fourth down. With nine seconds left on the clock, quarterback "Pop" Scholl threw an incomplete pass into the end zone. Normally, the ball would have gone to Dartmouth, which would have used up the remaining seconds and won the game, 3-0.
But following the fourth down, Linesman Joe McKenny signaled that the ball should go to Cornell again. Referee Friesell agreed. Making the most of the unexpected opportunity, quarterback Scholl threw a touchdown pass, and following the extra-point kick, Cornell won the game, 7-3.
[edit]​
The Forfeit

Officials discovered their error after reviewing the game films. Cornell's players, coach Carl Snavely, acting athletic director Bob Kane, and PresidentEdmund Ezra Day, a Dartmouth alumnus, agreed that Cornell should send a telegram to Dartmouth offering to forfeit the game. Dartmouth accepted.
[edit]​
Aftermath

Although there is some doubt whether the 1940 Cornell forfeit was "official" according to NCAA rules, the game is regarded as a 3-0 Dartmouth victory, instead of a 7-3 triumph by Cornell.[1] This is described as the only time in the history of football that a game was decided off the field.
The New York Times N.F.L. sports blog "The Fifth Down" is named in part after the incident in this game.

Reaction Score
Colorado won a game with five downs in the 80's or 90's. I think that was back in the Rashaan Salaam/Kordell Stewart days.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
were they not MAC officials? at both the Temple & Toledo games?

usually the road team's conference provides the officials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul