Today (10/26) is Media Day for UConnWBB | The Boneyard

Today (10/26) is Media Day for UConnWBB

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's Media Day, and all we learn is that Batouly has a sore knee and Gabby has a migraine?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Duke transfer Azura Stevens eager to make her UConn debut

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said that other than All-American Katie Lou Samuelson, this year's team might not have a more naturally gifted shot maker from the perimeter than the 6-foot-6 Stevens. However, he is looking for her to be more than somebody who drains several jumpers each game.

“I hope we can get her a lot of shots,” Auriemma said. “Even without breaking a sweat she is capable of getting 25 every night easy, which would probably put her one or two short of what her man is going to get, so we are trying to fix the other part."

Stevens has been challenged to improve her low-post game offensively but especially defensively as her combination of length and athleticism is something last year's UConn team lacked.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma Happy With UConn's Aggressive Mentality

But what has always been a hallmark of Auriemma’s team is defense. And there were times during last season when Auriemma bemoaned the defensive deficiencies of his roster, even as the Huskies were marching through the schedule unbeaten until the Final Four.

This season?

“We’ve talked a lot about having a certain aggressive mentality,” Auriemma said. “Trying to create some stuff off our defense, like we have. We’re a little bit older and I think a little bit smarter a team. Maybe we can do some things that we haven’t done in the past.”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
“Even without breaking a sweat, she’s (Stevens) capable of getting 25 [points] every night,” Auriemma said. “I mean, easy. Easy. Which will probably put her just about one or two short of what her man’s going to get. So we’re trying to fix the other part.”

I'm guessing he's saying at this point she can't guard an even taller chair than usual.

Reaction Score
Ah, that's basically what he said about Lou last year, and he kept her in until she almost dropped. Probably said worse about D. You can always tell when Geno is smitten with one of his players--he keeps trashing her. Worse comes to worse, they'll throw up a zone, and good luck shooting over that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ah, that's basically what he said about Lou last year, and he kept her in until she almost dropped. Probably said worse about D. You can always tell when Geno is smitten with one of his players--he keeps trashing her. Worse comes to worse, they'll throw up a zone, and good luck shooting over that.
Geno is not going to let them cheat their talent. He tries to make everyone into a complete player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Duke transfer Azura Stevens eager to make her UConn debut

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said that other than All-American Katie Lou Samuelson, this year's team might not have a more naturally gifted shot maker from the perimeter than the 6-foot-6 Stevens. However, he is looking for her to be more than somebody who drains several jumpers each game.

“I hope we can get her a lot of shots,” Auriemma said. “Even without breaking a sweat she is capable of getting 25 every night easy, which would probably put her one or two short of what her man is going to get, so we are trying to fix the other part."

Stevens has been challenged to improve her low-post game offensively but especially defensively as her combination of length and athleticism is something last year's UConn team lacked.
Yay! More substance from Jim. Azura needs to learn to play more inside, as Maya, Stewie, and Lou did before her. She'll get there, though Geno will be vocal about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma Happy With UConn's Aggressive Mentality

But what has always been a hallmark of Auriemma’s team is defense. And there were times during last season when Auriemma bemoaned the defensive deficiencies of his roster, even as the Huskies were marching through the schedule unbeaten until the Final Four.

This season?

“We’ve talked a lot about having a certain aggressive mentality,” Auriemma said. “Trying to create some stuff off our defense, like we have. We’re a little bit older and I think a little bit smarter a team. Maybe we can do some things that we haven’t done in the past.”
As several folks have noted, with our depth, Geno can play more aggressively this year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno saying the freshmen are behind in UConn-level effort, still in high school mentality. Could be a pretty short bench for a while, especially if Camara is out for any length of time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly! Geno said almost the exact thing last year about Napheesa during a national televised game. Geno has definitely said worse about Tina and Rebecca. Geno is definitely smitten by Azura he just trying to keep her working hard and humble.

Reaction Score
It was not media day, it was a regular media availability for the writers. Not a big dog and pony show media day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno saying the freshmen are behind in UConn-level effort, still in high school mentality. Could be a pretty short bench for a while, especially if Camara is out for any length of time.
Which frosh can catch on first?

In terms of Geno's confidence, it seems as if we have some groupings:

The Core 4

Crystal is close to them

Azura is a little farther back, largely due to her defense

Batouly, Kyla, and Molly

The 4 Freshmen (was that a '60's group??)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Which frosh can catch on first?

In terms of Geno's confidence, it seems as if we have some groupings:

The Core 4

Crystal is close to them

Azura is a little farther back, largely due to her defense

Batouly, Kyla, and Molly

The 4 Freshmen (was that a '60's group??)
It seems so with Z first off the bench and spelling all three up front. That could mean significant PT for Z, and with some teams very significant time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It seems so with Z first off the bench and spelling all three up front. That could mean significant PT for Z, and with some teams very significant time.
I think Z comes in for Pheesa, Gabby, or Lou.

In one of the interviews, either Geno or Crystal said they were practicing with Crystal at PG and also with Kia as PG. That makes total sense. I view Kia as an elite SG now and the backup PG. Who comes after them? Molly or Mikayla?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom