Toby Kimball Dead at 74--Uconn great | The Boneyard

Toby Kimball Dead at 74--Uconn great

Reaction Score
Toby was a Uconn great when greats were few and far between. He is the first College play erI personally ever heard of that played overseas. He played for an Italian team.
According to an article then written; Italian teams at the time represented Cities/towns--and the local team had to win the first half -. Toby was such a sports hero --at half time of one game--he was stripped to his jock for fans taking souvenirs.
No NCAA titles from his teams but the memories of the Yankee conference and post NIT games has lasted me a life time. Thank you Toby, and God bless your family--no more knee pain.
Article is in the Courant.com/sports

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
from Wiki:
Thomas "Toby" Kimball (September 7, 1942 – May 2, 2017) was a retired American professional basketball player from Framingham, Massachusetts.

As 6'8" power forward/center at the University of Connecticut, Kimball averaged 18.4 points and 17.9 rebounds over three seasons.[1] He played in the NBA from 1966 to 1975 as a member of the Boston Celtics, San Diego Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks, Kansas City Kings, Philadelphia 76ers and New Orleans Jazz. Kimball averaged 6.1 points and 6.8 rebounds over his NBA career. His best season was his second, in which he averaged a double double (11.0 points and 11.7 rebounds).[2]

Kimball was inducted into the University of Connecticut's "Huskies of Honor" in 2006.[3] His son confirmed via social media that Kimball died on May 2, 2017.[4]

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
He's my first and most enduring memory from when I started to follow UConn basketball. Since most of the games were played past my bedtime, that meant sneaking a transistor radio under the covers.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Very sad to hear of his passing. He was a huge deal, an idol to many of us growing up in Connecticut in the early to mid sixties.

Reaction Score
My father took me to many of his games at the Field House. He looked and played like a man, not a college student. It was amazing to be able to watch in person Kimball and the other terrific UConn players in what was then a small school., playing and beating some major basketball powers.

Reaction Score
Kimball was a Sr in 64-65 my freshman year in Storrs. He was listed at 6'-9" in the program and in those days there were very few he had to face that were taller than he. He dominated down low and if I remember correctly finished 2nd in rebounding nationally to Davidson's Fred Hetzel. Many of my enduring basketball memories are from that year in the old field house watching Toby Kimball dominate in the paint. RIP 42, RIP.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Question: my first UConn memory was the 'Dom Perno stole the ball' game....from Bill Bradley pretty sure. Was Toby on that team?
Was the Poughkeepsie Popper on that team as well?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Question: my first UConn memory was the 'Dom Perno stole the ball' game....from Bill Bradley pretty sure. Was Toby on that team?
Was the Poughkeepsie Popper on that team as well?

That was 1964, and Toby was a junior on that team. Bialosuknia was a sophomore on the 1964 - 1965 team. He did not play the year before since freshman were not eligible to play varsity back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom