To those who act like bball won't be affected | The Boneyard

To those who act like bball won't be affected

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

You can say im whining while you look through your rose colored glasses to avoid reality. The Big East has even less tv negotiating leverage now and will likely have less exposure compared to prime time games among the big 5. This will affect recruiting...TOP recruits. As far as $$$$ the difference is going to be massive between where we sit now and where say Rutgers sits. Over time the effects from this will be obvious... Think Rutgers will have a hard time improving their facilities with BIg 10 $$? Uconn bball will also be affected NBC decreased donations ... The good news is maybe this will open up the lower level seats for fans that will actually show up.

Reaction Score
Rutgers hasn't made the NCAA tournament in over 20 years. I'm not exactly worried about them.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Th only real hope in basketball:

Big East Division (home and away)
UConn
St John's
PC
Seton Hall
Temple
Nova'
Georgetown
Cincy

Dreck-USA Division (4 games)
Marquette
Memphis
Depaul
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Tulane

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
What's next? Adding Xavier and Gonzaga in all sports but football?

Reaction Score
With all that big $$, in the last 15 year's or so the SEC (minus Calapari), PAC12, ACC (minus UNC/Duke), & more than half of the B12 have been subpar in performance. I don't think UNC bball cares what conference they are in because they have a strong program....the Husky's will be fine.

caw

Reaction Score
You can say im whining while you look through your rose colored glasses to avoid reality. The Big East has even less tv negotiating leverage now and will likely have less exposure compared to prime time games among the big 5. This will affect recruiting...TOP recruits. As far as $$$$ the difference is going to be massive between where we sit now and where say Rutgers sits. Over time the effects from this will be obvious... Think Rutgers will have a hard time improving their facilities with BIg 10 $$? Uconn bball will also be affected NBC decreased donations ... The good news is maybe this will open up the lower level seats for fans that will actually show up.

First, you have one huge assumption: UConn will be on the outside looking in when conference realignment is over (it's not close to being over).

Assuming that is true we then find UConn in the following position: Kevin Ollie is the coach or they look elsewhere.

Let's assume they look elsewhere: then UConn likely ends up like Temple/Memphis/etc. as a stepping stool for coaches like Sean Miller and others. It could end up in the position where they keep failing at finding a good coach and end up like UMass, but I find that unlikely based on fan support and facilities.

Now if they do go with Ollie, you end up with 3 situations:
  1. Ollie is a super star
  2. Ollie is decent
  3. Ollie mediocre or sucks
In the third case, UConn ends up a stepping stool as previously noted.

In the second case, UConn ends up like Gonzaga or UNLV.

In the first case, you have a few more options:
  1. Ollie truly loyal to the program
  2. Ollie uses UConn to move to a major conference
  3. Ollie leaves for the NBA
In the second and third case, UConn again becomes a stepping stone.

In the first case, UConn will be fine and compete for recruits and championships regardless.

I am assuming the basketball facilities are built and UConn doesn't become an independent or drop basketball.

I guess you could say I have rose colored glasses on in stating I see UConn worse case scenario as UNLV/current SDSU/Butler and best case what it was under Calhoun.

The new facilities will be huge to the basketball program and a coach on a longer than 7 month contract will also help recruiting. Throw in no longer being limited to 10 scholarships and being NCAAT eligible and I still see this year as being a blip.

Do I need to repeat how PC has landed 3 All-American type guards in the past two years? Or how Georgetown is still recruiting top recruits? Or how UNLV picked up a few top guys this past year? UConn has never been UK, UCLA, Duke when it comes to recruiting, but the future really lies with Ollie and his success.

EDIT: My personal opinion is that Ollie will become at least decent and maybe a superstar. I also believe he is completely loyal to UConn.

Reaction Score
It's all about the coaching situation. The only time you see Memphis on TV after the non conference portion of their schedule is over is on CBS Sportsnetwork and nobody watches that, and they're pulling in stud recruit after stud recruit. UNLV has been pulling in nice talent for years, same TV deal with them. Xavier is a tournament fixture, Temple was making Elite 8s under Chaney and still goes to the tourney under Dunphy. Look at what Fischer has done with San Diego State. If Ollie proves to be the real deal and pulls in recruits, UConn basketball will be fine.

Reaction Score
First, you have one huge assumption: UConn will be on the outside looking in when conference realignment is over (it's not close to being over).

Assuming that is true we then find UConn in the following position: Kevin Ollie is the coach or they look elsewhere.

Let's assume they look elsewhere: then UConn likely ends up like Temple/Memphis/etc. as a stepping stool for coaches like Sean Miller and others. It could end up in the position where they keep failing at finding a good coach and end up like UMass, but I find that unlikely based on fan support and facilities.

Now if they do go with Ollie, you end up with 3 situations:
  1. Ollie is a super star
  2. Ollie is decent
  3. Ollie mediocre or sucks
In the third case, UConn ends up a stepping stool as previously noted.
In the second case, UConn ends up like Gonzaga or UNLV.
In the first case, you have a few more options:
  1. Ollie truly loyal to the program
  2. Ollie uses UConn to move to a major conference
  3. Ollie leaves for the NBA
In the second and third case, UConn again becomes a stepping stone.
In the first case, UConn will be fine and compete for recruits and championships regardless.
I am assuming the basketball facilities are built and UConn doesn't become an independent or drop basketball.
I guess you could say I have rose colored glasses on in stating I see UConn worse case scenario as UNLV/current SDSU/Butler and best case what it was under Calhoun.
The new facilities will be huge to the basketball program and a coach on a longer than 7 month contract will also help recruiting. Throw in no longer being limited to 10 scholarships and being NCAAT eligible and I still see this year as being a blip.
Do I need to repeat how PC has landed 3 All-American type guards in the past two years? Or how Georgetown is still recruiting top recruits? Or how UNLV picked up a few top guys this past year? UConn has never been UK, UCLA, Duke when it comes to recruiting, but the future really lies with Ollie and his success.
While i agree, Ollie's success will be helped or hindered by the types of recruits we get. Under Calhoun we were able to grab some absolute studs that helped boost his success. Its going to take a great coach to get prime time success without the help of some 5-star studs, and that will be (and currently is) the case for Ollie.

Reaction Score
Remember the Big East was formed to allow non-football schools to be competitive at a national level in basketball. It worked pretty well. The NBE basketball conference will be good and will be able to land great recruits ala Memphis. I've decided I don't give a f$## about college football any more either way.

caw

Reaction Score
While i agree, Ollie's success will be helped or hindered by the types of recruits we get. Under Calhoun we were able to grab some absolute studs that helped boost his success. Its going to take a great coach to get prime time success without the help of some 5-star studs, and that will be (and currently is) the case for Ollie.

A lot of it was Calhoun coaching and teaching the kids. UConn has never really faired well with one and dones or even most two and dones out of high school. If Ollie can't get the studs (top 25's) he needs to get the gems 25-100 and build them up. Then pick a top 25 kid where you can (like Drummond). I'm not saying it's ideal but I don't think it's as big a detriment as many think, assuming Ollie has what it takes.

Reaction Score
A lot of it was Calhoun coaching and teaching the kids. UConn has never really faired well with one and dones or even most two and dones out of high school. If Ollie can't get the studs (top 25's) he needs to get the gems 25-100 and build them up. Then pick a top 25 kid where you can (like Drummond). I'm not saying it's ideal but I don't think it's as big a detriment as many think, assuming Ollie has what it takes.
Oh i absolutely agree with you there, Ollie will have to build the kids up and that will be his test as a coach. But i am worried about the amount of gems we will get in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom