To Stay or Go: NIL's Influence | The Boneyard

To Stay or Go: NIL's Influence

Reaction Score
Many of you are speculating about which wcbb players will move on to the WNBA and which will take advantage of their chance to play for another year or two. Success in gaining monetary support from sponsors might be a determinant, so I thought it might be illuminating to see which players are benefitting most from the new system.
Recently a sportswriter speculated that someone like Caitlin Clark might stay in school a full 2 more years, as her expected income from her NILs is about $200,00/year. She wouldn't make that much in the pros, and she is likely to be the top draft pick whenever she chooses to leave Iowa.
In the attached list, you will note the great disparity between players' corporate support. For the moment, Clark does not appear high up (nor does Boston), but the cash register is busy ca-chinging for Caitlin--not so much for Boston. Azzi does not appear, though we know she has signed some high-profile deals. A healthy Paige and Azzi should, in Nika's words, be "in the roof." Both UConn stars could be here for two more years.
You might want to speculate about the elements that determine who gets the most loot. The explanation for the Cavinders (one of whom does not even start for Miami) seems obvious: they're popular and attractive (not necessarily in that order):

Reaction Score
I sort of think NIL is overstated with respect to the women's game. I know the WNBA has low salaries but a player can also make money overseas and someone like Clark and Boston still have an opportunity to get professional endorsements.

Being a college player isn't easy as there is still a demanding travel schedule, plus classwork, plus there are likely many, many more rules as most of these players really are kids. I get the money from NIL by sticking in college is attractive but I don't see it being a game changer for a top flight player to remain in school longer than would be expected .

I posted in another thread Boston and Cooke should go pro this year, they have nothing left to prove at SC. Beale and Amihere both have more room to grow and could benefit from another year in college.

Reaction Score
The NIL deals are nice but if a college basketball player is ready for the WNBA, they are going to the professional level no matter what. Stateside or Overseas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For someone like Paige or Caitlin, they are getting most of their NIL money from national/international companies and many of those contracts are multi-year deals that will follow them to the Pros, so the pro salary is on top of some if not all of their NIL. For lesser players, the NIL they receiver is local and tied into their college affiliation so staying become a more lucrative option, especially if they are not likely to be a first round draftee to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
For someone like Paige or Caitlin, they are getting most of their NIL money from national/international companies and many of those contracts are multi-year deals that will follow them to the Pros, so the pro salary is on top of some if not all of their NIL. For lesser players, the NIL they receiver is local and tied into their college affiliation so staying become a more lucrative option, especially if they are not likely to be a first round draftee to the WNBA.
This. It's really why I've questioned why some posters don't think PB, Clark, Boston wouldn't also have many opportunities for endorsements as professionals. It may not be a dollar for dollar thing but I don't see NIL being the major drivers over the decision to stay in college.

Reaction Score
That's been my argument as well. Plus you no longer have to play school when you turn pro.

Reaction Score
When Morgan Tuck decided to forego a final year at UConn, she took into consideration her balky knees. There was no guarantee that she would not be injured again playing for the Huskies. So she left. She played some in the pros and made some money (no small matter for an athlete). I don't believe her problem was identical to Paige and Azzi, though each of them has had recurring knee injuries. The biggest variable for our two stars is health. We assume they will heal and be back to their old selves. We hope and pray that's the case. Clearly there are many factors that go into decisions. But there's no doubt that the NIL system has changed the way people think. How much? Their call.

Reaction Score
That's been my argument as well. Plus you no longer have to play school when you turn pro.
NIL income is based on the individuals capacity to drive clicks and influence. If more people watch the WNBA, I would agree that their NIL potential is higher in pros. But if their exposure is greater in NCAA, I would think their platform and potential NIL income is higher as a collegiate athlete

Reaction Score
NIL income is based on the individuals capacity to drive clicks and influence. If more people watch the WNBA, I would agree that their NIL potential is higher in pros. But if their exposure is greater in NCAA, I would think their platform and potential NIL income is higher as a collegiate athlete
The very top echelon don't need their school or the NCAA. They came in with an established following. NIL deals were handed out to these types of social media influencers before they had done anything with respect to their sport at their schools.

Reaction Score
Caitlyn Clark will change the entire Women's basketball world when she becomes a pro. Her skillset is exciting to watch even if you aren't a huge fan of Women's Basketball and that is what it takes to grow the sport. Tiger Woods did it for Golf, Jordan did it for Men's Basketball and Clark could do the same thing.

The game she played last night I don't think could have been done by an player in the pro game right now. The defense they played on her was really good she was just that much better. NIL is a bandage until a player makes watching the pro game interesting and that person is on the way.

Reaction Score
Caitlyn Clark will change the entire Women's basketball world when she becomes a pro. Her skillset is exciting to watch even if you aren't a huge fan of Women's Basketball and that is what it takes to grow the sport. Tiger Woods did it for Golf, Jordan did it for Men's Basketball and Clark could do the same thing.

The game she played last night I don't think could have been done by an player in the pro game right now. The defense they played on her was really good she was just that much better. NIL is a bandage until a player makes watching the pro game interesting and that person is on the way.
She's like the Steph Curry of WCBB. She can throw up a 30 foot shot and you think it is going in - just like Curry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom