To AD Dave: The New Big East Is Not the Old Big East | The Boneyard

To AD Dave: The New Big East Is Not the Old Big East

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict has got to stop suggesting that UConn is "returning" to the Big East. The conferences are very different. They share the same name but the member schools are only partially the same. The culture appears different, too. In his new letter to fans he says, "There is tremendous anticipation for our return home to the Big East Conference for many of our sports, to a familiar place with familiar neighbors." I'd say If Dave can get us into the ACC, we will have far more "familiar neighbors."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Meh, I've been as big a stickler for that point as anyone, however, I think will join the rest of the world, present company excluded, in pretending that the NBE is actually the Big East Conference that we joined in the 1979 and of which we are, technically, still a member.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Technically, we just left the Big East. (Or, by virtue of being the last original member standing, do we automatically take the Big East with us wherever we go?

I think so. "We are bringing the Big East back! (to the underachieving C7 also rans that we used to kick around)"

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict has got to stop suggesting that UConn is "returning" to the Big East. The conferences are very different. They share the same name but the member schools are only partially the same. The culture appears different, too. In his new letter to fans he says, "There is tremendous anticipation for our return home to the Big East Conference for many of our sports, to a familiar place with familiar neighbors." I'd say If Dave can get us into the ACC, we will have far more "familiar neighbors."
Theres only 2 original members missing in the New Big East. And why would DB market it any other way?Everyone except stickler UConn fans recognize it as the Big East.

Reaction Score
Call the league whatever you want but the fact is the Big East provides UConn the opportunity to compete against spirited geographic rivals (see: Prov., SH, StJ’s, Nova and G’town in a very good conference (Butler, X, Creighton and Marq - - not DePaul). The Big East that has far greater visibility in a wider media footprint than the AAC.

Get over it. UConn isn’t in the ACC. Perhaps someday it will be but it is not now so please support UConn’s move to the Big East. The Big East is not a cupcake Conference.

Does anyone really be prefer that UConn continued to plat basketball in the AAC ?

Reaction Score
Names..names...I suspect that, for UConn, it will be no major adjustment playing in the BE in a mixture of old rivals and new.

Over half of FSU's scheduled conference opponents for 2020 are OBE teams. Did not take long to get used to the ACC/OBE.

Reaction Score
Buddy...just that you become used to changes pretty quickly...UConn is playing 7 old BE opponents...

Not as different as folks think...I adjusted to a similar change rather quickly....

Reaction Score
Well now, Buddy, that wasn't the topic....getting used to new conference partners was....

But...a hammer only sees the nail...I get it.

Or, maybe, more accurately, the nail only sees the hammer.

At any rate, I think that having 5 new conference mates ain't that big of a deal since 7 remain.

Reaction Score
I will have to say I think UConn basketball fans will be happier for sure than they were in the AAC. Looking forward to going to my backyard at MSG and watch them play....if we can survive the virus, that is.

Reaction Score
We are in fact re-joining the Big East. That is just a fact.

The historical fact that most get wrong is when they say that "UCONN left the Big East", UCONN never left the Big East, the Big East packed their bags and left UCONN, but we are now re-joining the Big East. If you need to debate this with anyone just bring up the fact that the AAC headquarters remained in the Providence office and is still there. The Big East moved to NYC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're just rejoining the Big East brand, since brands are the rage.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UCONN never left the Big East, the Big East packed their bags and left UCONN, but we are now re-joining the Big East.

UConn is joining the NBE. The Big East died years ago

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
here we go again
That doesn't make him wrong though.

For my part, I'm letting it go. It does bug me though when people say we left the Big East. That is flat out wrong and the Catholic 7 departure likely cost everyone money. Still, I'll pretend that we are going "back to the Big East." It is a useful fiction that most casual fans (@Chief00) actually are going to believe regardless.

Reaction Score

How come Holy Cross was invited over UMass? UMass in the Big East would have had the school where they are looking to get.
Holy Cross was New England’s premier Basketball school for years.and The only one with a NC.
They also won the NIT. The’re the onlyl New England school with a winning record vs UConn.
NBA HOFer Bob Cousy went there along with other NBA notables
Also remember they were primarily Catholic Schools in the original BE with only Cuse and us non Catholic and us the only true Public (Rutgers was added later )

Reaction Score
Holy Cross was New England’s premier Basketball school for years.and The only one with a NC.
They also won the NIT. The’re the onlyl New England school with a winning record vs UConn.
NBA HOFer Bob Cousy went there along with other NBA notables
Also remember they were primarily Catholic Schools in the original BE with only Cuse and us non Catholic and us the only true Public (Rutgers was added later )

Also at the time the Big East was being formed, Holy Cross had a future 3rd round NBA draft pick in Ron Perry on the team, and were in the middle of a run of 2 NCAA and 4 NIT appearances in seven years. The Crusaders were definitely a factor at the time in New England college basketball. Later on, Perry was a commentator on regional college basketball broadcasts, and I always liked it when he was on the call on UConn basketball games.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
IMO, within 15 years, the college sports landscape will shift again. Schools will have started offering their own streaming packages, conferences will start to reform as schools seek to renew all forsaken regional rivalries.

Reaction Score
I will have to say I think UConn basketball fans will be happier for sure than they were in the AAC. Looking forward to going to my backyard at MSG and watch them play....if we can survive the virus, that is.

Reaction Score
Not me!! As a former CT resident and season ticket holder who lives in FL now, I was able to attend four UConn basketball games (men and women) each season at USF and UCF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom