TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On | Page 4 | The Boneyard

TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There isnt a single coach on staff who's irreplaceable.

5 weeks ago everyone wanted Weist canned and possibly assassinated. Now, he has a QB, and we're saying he HAS to stay.

I like Weist a lot, but i want whoever is the best fit for coach D, and UCONN. If thats TJ, then good...if not, thats fine too.

As for Foley, same thing. Looked lousy, got a QB, looks better. He's not the only one that can teach a straight ahead blocking scheme. It's not that difficult a scheme.

I like him too....but not so much that i would forgo all others.

And for crying out loud....Hughes really needs to go.

Reaction Score
We will have to agree to disagree. I simply do not think a manager should retain the former manager, regardless of how long or why the previous manager was thrust into the role. Like I said, I appreciate everything Coach Weist did, but it would be wise for Coach D to go another route. I believe he will do just that as he appears to be a smart man.

We can agree to disagree, but just so I can understand where you're coming from, can you give me some examples of the problems you think could arise? Are they related to loyalty or insubordination? Confusion about who is really in charge?

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Agreed.

I would like TJ to stay though. In 8 games at UConn he did what PGDL couldn't do it 28. Win three straight.

Lets not forget the 3 Wins we did get were against 3 of the 4 Conference Teams that were Worse than UCONN! Ranked 105, 86 & 101 !

Reaction Score
HuskyBarker said:
Lets not forget the 3 Wins we did get were against 3 of the 4 Conference Teams that were Worse than UCONN! Ranked 105, 86 & 101 !

That's bs. He did a hell of a job in changing the psyche of the team when things could have really gone south. If all you can focus on is the ranking of those teams, you're missing the point. TJ really did a great job salvaging the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
I believe Uconn was ranked below Temple when we played them. Don't recall, but I think we were at some point rated as bad as 115. Casey Cochran started the Temple game. The first half was one of the worst or perhaps the worst half of play in Uconn history. We appeared dead. I was so ill from watching that game that I shut it off at half time. I did listen to the game on the radio while reading a book, fell asleep, but awoke to hear the excitement that Uconn won. When I woke the next morning I thought I had dreamed it. Watched the second half that morning and couldn't believe the transformation of the team in all facets of the game. It was not suddenly the Cochran show, it was the Uconn show. The credit has to go to the coaching done during that half time. Uconn carried that over for three straight wins playing fun ball not seen in ages from us. Those three teams were not worse than Uconn, Uconn turned it up, manned it up, played inspired football and most of all had fun doing it. They improved no matter how small it may seem to some. It had to be TJ that brought this team together and together they showed grit with TJ leading the way in short sleeves.

I think HuskyBarker's pessimistic attitude is understandable. However, I think us Uconn fans need more good things to happen before we can truly start to be optimistic and take heed, and pleasure, of even the smallest steps forward. In my opinion, retaining TJ, Foley and Day would be a great first step by coach Diaco. If it doesn't work out that way, then I am fine with it.

Reaction Score
That Temple Game should be in our UConn time capsule of memorable events, right alongside The Fiesta Bowl. We may just look back on that unbelievable comeback in the bitter cold as the turning point for UConn football. Do you realize how easy it would have been for that team to fold its tent and head for a warm bus ride at 0-10? Whatever motivated that comeback, be it pride, the captains going nuts, the coaches making a stand, adjustments in strategy, or sheer karma needs to be immortalized. I was there and I'll never forget it. And don't think those coaching candidates didn't take notice.

Reaction Score

Wow....I guess our guys just plain suck. All we can beat are lousy teams. Diaco is an idiot for taking the HC job.

Reaction Score

Geez, do you think we may have beaten Towson and Buffalo with the team and coaching staff we had at the end of the year? I do!

I think we also may have gotten over the hump against Maryland and possibly Michigan. PPGDL were horrible game day coaches and they made way too many mistakes. They did not execute in their roles when it came to delivering game day results.

EDIT: adding to what dw4 wrote, their abilities to make halftime adjustments were non-existent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PP and GDL were God awful as coaches. If TJ were coach from day one he would of won at least 6 games. He did a great job taking over the Titanic and winning 3 games that he did.

Reaction Score
P and GDL were toxic and they lost the team this season. In 2012 the defense was so good and Brown was a terrific motivator, so in spite of the ridiculously poor season the players put out the effort. By the time those clowns brought that team to Buffalo the players had given up. That was the saddest display of UCONN football I had ever seen. I give Ward a lot of credit, he had seen enough and acted accordingly.

I will say it again, had we had competent coaching the last three seasons after Edsall's departure we would have been bowling in 2011, would have contended for BCS bowl in 2012 and this past season might have gotten to a bowl. Those guys poisoned this program and I don't think either of them will ever again be in a major college football program.......although Greg Robinson keeps on finding a way in which utterly amazes me.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree, but just so I can understand where you're coming from, can you give me some examples of the problems you think could arise? Are they related to loyalty or insubordination? Confusion about who is really in charge?

A little bit of everything you mentioned to varying degrees. It is a possible distraction that a new manager should not risk. It is best to make a clean break from Coach Weist. Not because Coach Weist is not a good coach, because I think he is.

Reaction Score
P and GDL were toxic and they lost the team this season. In 2012 the defense was so good and Brown was a terrific motivator, so in spite of the ridiculously poor season the players put out the effort. By the time those clowns brought that team to Buffalo the players had given up. That was the saddest display of UCONN football I had ever seen. I give Ward a lot of credit, he had seen enough and acted accordingly.

I will say it again, had we had competent coaching the last three seasons after Edsall's departure we would have been bowling in 2011, would have contended for BCS bowl in 2012 and this past season might have gotten to a bowl. Those guys poisoned this program and I don't think either of them will ever again be in a major college football program.......although Greg Robinson keeps on finding a way in which utterly amazes me.
Those guys are so old. I really think P came home and made a nice chunk of change before retiring. P has young children. Deleone I"m sure is already collecting social security.

Reaction Score
TJ certainly seemed to get the team going and turned around as HC. That's not debatable. But I don't see the merit in calling for him as OC. TJ was 0-6 as OC here this year - the offense didn't get going until TJ gave up the reigns the second half of the season. Nothing against him personally, just don't think hoping for him to be the OC is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Its Diaco's call. Its his team. I suspect he will interview and determine who will help him WIN GAMES! College Football is so competitive you can't feel sorry for any of these coaches. They know the deal. I like TJ and respect how he kept the team together at the end of the season, but if Coach D cleans house and brings in his own guys, so be it!

Reaction Score
Those guys are so old. I really think P came home and made a nice chunk of change before retiring. P has young children. Deleone I"m sure is already collecting social security.
So old? PP is the same age as Saban. You wouldn't want Saban here? Yes, GDL is eligible to collect max SS.

Reaction Score
It is not a good decision as a manager to keep the former manager on the staff. Could present quite a few problems. Coach Diaco would best be served to let coach Weist move on.
that's true for someone lacking confidence. if diaco knows he's in charge and leads this team he isn't worried about some coach stealing his thunder. he's making sure the coaches he has buy into his system, can work together, and have the same goals.

get the best coaches. period.
if TJ fits, keep him.

Reaction Score
that's true for someone lacking confidence. if diaco knows he's in charge and leads this team he isn't worried about some coach stealing his thunder. he's making sure the coaches he has buy into his system, can work together, and have the same goals.

get the best coaches. period.
if TJ fits, keep him.

Completely disagree with the bolded.

Reaction Score

And?

I didn't realize PGDL were facing a murderer's row. PGDL couldn't even beat the teams we should beat. I'm excited about Diaco, I didn't want TJ as HC, but if Diaco trusts him to run the offense I'm fine with that. If he brings someone else in, I'm fine with that too.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
I think HuskyBarker's pessimistic attitude is understandable. However, I think us Uconn fans need more good things to happen before we can truly start to be optimistic and take heed, and pleasure, of even the smallest steps forward. In my opinion, retaining TJ, Foley and Day would be a great first step by coach Diaco. If it doesn't work out that way, then I am fine with it.
I'm not pessimistic at all, in fact I'm very, very optimistic,:) I was just factually noting that the teams we beat weren't exactly world beaters, I thought TJ did a great job in turning around a team that hit bottom and was glad to be rid of the clueless Duo of PP & GDL.
If HCBD keeps TJ or gets someone else that would be fine by me. Either way the schedule at the end of the season was a nice gift / timing. I can't remember the last time we had a lineup like that at the end of a season.
And if PP was still coaching I'm sure he would have found a way to blow those games.
Anyway I am looking forward to next season! GO HUSKIES!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm goin with Fairfield cty as oline coach, uconn dan97 d coord, ,j money 187 WR coach, Biz Law as Asst head coach,Fishy is in charge of security, Nostical as QB'S coach,Palatine Rb's coach,Chin Diesel special teams, and Jimmy Serrano as Lb's coach I have a buzz now and I might of left people out here that I like ... Sorry blame it on Hathaway!
Alliance, I want a raise (if I don't get it I'm going with an innovative zone blocking scheme where our linemen will mostly be blocking air).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm goin with Fairfield cty as oline coach, uconn dan97 d coord, ,j money 187 WR coach, Biz Law as Asst head coach,Fishy is in charge of security, Nostical as QB'S coach,Palatine Rb's coach,Chin Diesel special teams, and Jimmy Serrano as Lb's coach I have a buzz now and I might of left people out here that I like ... Sorry blame it on Hathaway!

Fitting. I've been called special most of my life.

Reaction Score
I'm not pessimistic at all, in fact I'm very, very optimistic,:) I was just factually noting that the teams we beat weren't exactly world beaters, I thought TJ did a great job in turning around a team that hit bottom and was glad to be rid of the clueless Duo of PP & GDL.
If HCBD keeps TJ or gets someone else that would be fine by me. Either way the schedule at the end of the season was a nice gift / timing. I can't remember the last time we had a lineup like that at the end of a season.
And if PP was still coaching I'm sure he would have found a way to blow those games.
Anyway I am looking forward to next season! GO HUSKIES!!!

I totally agree with this. We ended the season hot and with such ineptitude at the head coach/offensive coordinator positions the last 2.5 years what TJ did seems really incredible. I really like the upward trajectory that the offense took at the end of the year but that is not going to continue that way. Throughout the year every team has ups and downs and the fact that we ended the year on an up I think has some people overvaluing TJ. If PP was allowed to keep GDL as the OC for 2 years HCBD certainly can bring in his own OC

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Alliance, I want a raise (if I don't get it I'm going with an innovative zone blocking scheme where our linemen will mostly be blocking air).

You want a raise??? Think about how much worse Jimmy Serrano's situation is......he's gotta work for me! Holy hell, that's a fate worse than death...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom