TJ going from calling "the" plays to calling "his" plays | The Boneyard

TJ going from calling "the" plays to calling "his" plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No matter how diplomatic he was in taking one for the team three weeks ago and how much certain Horde-ers want to dismiss it, IMO we were getting a filtered TJ the first four games -- especially last Saturday, which really seemed to have the P/GDL stamp on it (guess they figure they could get away with it for an away game). The pace couldn't have been slower if UConn had huddled and the players had balls and chains.

So faster pace (with TJ on field, that should help) and quicker-developing plays with more misdirection. Weak line? Slant time, counters, bootlegs. Who knows, maybe even a flea-flicker or double-reverse. Think the worry about "getting behind the chains" will no longer be dictating the play calls.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think we will start to see a stark contrast in play style and tempo in the coming weeks worth of games. I think Weist is a classy guy and wouldn't throw PP or GDL under the bus but it was painfully obvious to any fan with a set of eyes and basic knowledge of the PP/GDL history: the script was the same. Good starts (except Buffalo) then runs up the middle and conservative playcalling when teams made adjustments. I am VERY excited to see the difference on the field against USF and in the coming games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'll see, won't we? Certainly the last 4 games didn't look like his Bearcat teams. I am not sure how much of that is due to personnel, particularly on the OL. I am hopeful, though.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is our no-fake FG/Punt streak still alive? I know that RE never did it...I don't think PP did either. This can be Weist's legacy...the first fake FG/Punt in UConn history as a FBS team!

Reaction Score
Didn't Cinny run a TE screen? It's a good play to slow down a pass rush.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting a wildly different team/gameplan/scheme for USF. I hope he kinda hits reset, simplifies, and I'd even be ok with him being a little boring. Focus on the fundamentals, as Spackler would say. But each week I hope he ramps it up so that we see the full transformation over the course of this season.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting a wildly different team/gameplan/scheme for USF. I hope he kinda hits reset, simplifies, and I'd even be ok with him being a little boring. Focus on the fundamentals, as Spackler would say. But each week I hope he ramps it up so that we see the full transformation over the course of this season.

A little boring is okay as long as it's not run McCombs between the tackles three downs in a row... cause that was a bit too simple for my tastes. :D

Reaction Score
Didn't Cinny run a TE screen? It's a good play to slow down a pass rush.

Why Ryan Griffin wasn't used for this exact play is one of the reasons P/GDL should not have been brought back this year.

Reaction Score
we'll see. don't get the mancrush some of you have on this guy based on zero evidence. I hope he manages to turn the ship around. If I'm honest, I'd be happy if we just win the darned game against USF. Just as I didn't think a new OC would solve our problems, I also don't think a new head coach will.

Reaction Score
we'll see. don't get the mancrush some of you have on this guy based on zero evidence. I hope he manages to turn the ship around. If I'm honest, I'd be happy if we just win the darned game against USF. Just as I didn't think a new OC would solve our problems, I also don't think a new head coach will.

zero evidence from this year, but lots before this year he was encumbered by P/GDL. A lot better record in the 21st century than the Sunshine Boys. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Agree. We'll see. My eyes tell me he is a good wide receiver coach. Quite good in fact. I'm less convinced on his ability as an offensive coordinator. Western Kentucky was 6-5, 6-5 in 1AA during his last 2 seasons there, and while I would take 6-5 (or 6-6 since we play 12 games) in a heartbeat right now, I'm not sure he did anything to make me say "Wow!"

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I think this was a change that needed to be made, and I expect we will see some improvement in attitude if nothing else for USF. And he was one of the logical choices along with Hank for the job, which in these situations usually goes to a coordinator. But I'm not anticipating huge changes from what we've seen. I'm hoping ofr better blocking by the line, first and foremost, maybe spring McCombs for a few decent gains from time tot ime, and maybe reduce the number of sacks to 2-3. But I don't think the problems we have have as much to do with play calling as they do with personnel especially on the oline. And I really think the problem will take more than 2 weeks to fix.

Reaction Score
No matter how diplomatic he was in taking one for the team three weeks ago and how much certain Horde-ers want to dismiss it, IMO we were getting a filtered TJ the first four games -- especially last Saturday, which really seemed to have the P/GDL stamp on it (guess they figure they could get away with it for an away game). The pace couldn't have been slower if UConn had huddled and the players had balls and chains.

So faster pace (with TJ on field, that should help) and quicker-developing plays with more misdirection. Weak line? Slant time, counters, bootlegs. Who knows, maybe even a flea-flicker or double-reverse. Think the worry about "getting behind the chains" will no longer be dictating the play calls.

He specifically addressed the faster pace/uptempo issue as being a problem due to depth (gotta find the exact quote) but continues to say that is the direction he wants to continue to move.

Reactions: TKs

TKs

Reaction Score
ABC announcer said ,during replay of Michigan game I watched ,that according to TJ he can not run his up tempo offense here because he does not have enough receivers.

Reaction Score

If Spackler is saying it, I'm against it.

Reaction Score
ABC announcer said ,during replay of Michigan game I watched ,that according to TJ he can not run his up tempo offense here because he does not have enough receivers.

I expect that we will somehow find enough receivers for South Florida.

Reaction Score
If he can't find enough serviceable receivers out of this group, our recruiting clearly bites more than we think vs. other BCS standards he's had in prior coaching experiences. Should be 9 serviceable kids, 7 to shift in and out of slots 3-5 (clearly shak and davis should be on the field at all times) pending injury.

Name h/w yr Stars
Dhameer Bradley 5-9/168 FR ***
Brian Lemelle 5-10/160 FR ***
Thomas Lucas 6-2/194 FR **
Noel Thomas 6-1/183 FR ***
John Green 5-10/177 RS FR **
Kamal Abrams 5-11/186 JR **
Deshon Foxx 5-10/172 JR **
Geremy Davis 6-3/215 RS JR ***
Shakim Phillips 6-2/209 RS JR ****

Reaction Score
Abrams and Phillips have been injured, so that reduces the number to 7. 4 of them are true frosh who may just not have been ready yet. While wide out is one of those positions where freshman can play, most are not really ready. Lemelle is a punt returner who may or may not have the ability to be an effective wide receiver. that's another position which is at times specialized. they might have him working most of the time on the return game this season with the intent of adding pass catching duties later in his career. I know Green has played, and I think Bradley has. for what its worth, I htought Green looked pretty good subbing for Philips against Maryland. Not so much against Buffalo. Keep in mind that this has also been a position where UConn has really struggled for years and it could be one of those where we actually did need an upgrade. Phillips and Davis are good. The others are works in progress.

Reaction Score
Lemelle is a punt returner who may or may not have the ability to be an effective wide receiver. that's another position which is at times specialized. they might have him working most of the time on the return game this season with the intent of adding pass catching duties later in his career.

Lemelle needs to get into rotation w/ TJW:

"Named Parade Magazine All-America Honorable Mention...Pennsylvania career record holder in receptions (269) and receiving yardage (4,529) while his career TDs (38) is second... was named the Pennsylvania Sports News Class AAA Offensive Player of the Year...had 91 receptions as a senior for 1,546 yards and 11 TDs...also returned punts and kickoffs and was team's punter."

Need the athletes on the field!

Reaction Score
Both Bradley and Thomas have talent and should see the field more. In fact I expect a much deeper array of receivers. And maybe just maybe our QB will have some time to connect.

Reaction Score
Bradley impressed me at the open practice, so did Abrams, gotta get him healthy.

Reaction Score

He specifically addressed the faster pace/uptempo issue as being a problem due to depth (gotta find the exact quote) but continues to say that is the direction he wants to continue to move.

Found TJW's exact quote from yesterday:

Weist said the Huskies will continue to run a no-huddle offense, but stressed it won't be a spread. He said it will be more of a multiple-formation, multiple-set unit. "I'd like to be a little bit more up-tempo team, if I could," Weist said. "If we had a little more depth, I probably would be. It's hard to be a good no-huddle team unless you have some tempo to move the football."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom